The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Should LU softball be considered for an at large bid

Yes
36%
No
No votes
0%
Possibly
64%
The LU softball team has beaten 3 ranked teams in Baylor, Michigan, and Hawaii. They have had close games against #14 Oregon State #25 California (in Hawaii) and #1 Tennessee. At this point Oregon State is still ranked 14th, Baylor is ranked 7th, Michigan is ranked 8th, Tennessee is still ranked 1st and California is receiving 3 votes in the top 25 polls. Should LU get an at large bid if they were to go deep into the Big South Tournament and stumble somehow?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It depends on the other teams. I don't know enough about college Softball to give a real answer to this...but I think they have a shot...but then again I don't really think they have to worry about that anyways
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
you gave us an "out" in the wording of the poll.

YES they should be "considered" and I'm sure they would be.

the deal is, WIN the conf and its not an issue- they've been pretty strong for 2 years running

I would say if they win 40 games but fall in the conf tourney they have a good shot- but I think they'll need to win at least that many.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i think the 40 win plateau is the key. but i do not know enough about the softball selection committee to really say. how about fsn??
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I think that we have to win 40 games... the biggest difference is that we have made a good name for ourselves... Winning the BS regular season would also go a long way...I feel like this group can win the Tourney..Taking 2 out of 3 from Radford was huge.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I agree with everyone else. 40-wins is KEY and with the way we're playing right now, I'm going to say that might be a possibility.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I think that we should be seriously considered for an at large birth provided we win the BSC regular season regardless of winning the tourney. Our performance against all of the ranked teams is the key and of course getting 40 wins. Our performance against UVA and Tech will go a long way towards getting there.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We need to win 8 of our final 12 (I think sweeping BSC and Coastal would go a long way toward that)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For those of us who don't follow women's college softball (including me), LU is only ranked 3rd in conference (7-2), behind 1st place Winthop (9-3) & 2nd place Radford (8-4), though LU has the best winning percentage in the conference at .778.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/standings ... &SPID=1993
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
it shakes out that way due to the fact that we haven't played as many conf games.

We won both the WU and RU series and, as you pointed out- have the highest winning %.

I really feel the ladies are the best team in conf this year, and will be on top of the standings in a few weeks.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
FYI...for SB...in the BS...rankings are done by total wins...not winning percentage. So, provided they take care of business with Coastal and Birmingham Southern, they should definately finish in 1st.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
:BS allright :D
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Fumblerooskies wrote:Thank you, Kyle Kallander...
That's Kommander Kallander to you!
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Longwood hurt but you could wipe that off the slate with a VT sweep... run the table and I can't see how they keep us out with 42 wins... split with VT and finish with 41 and you have a great case... two hicups and 40 wins and you have an agrument... less than 40 wins would be tough.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
i agree with you fsn32 that the longwood sweep definitely hurt our chances.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Well with the new info on the UVa series being cancelled... better win out.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
agreed. we really needed those UVA games. the longwood losses will crush us if we lose in the big south finals.
By Number1inda'hoodG
Registration Days Posts
Was good to see the ladies grab a win today, but I think Longwood will ultimately kill us. I don't even know that winning out at this point will get us there. We would still land short of 40 wins, and that alone can sometimes make the difference.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
40 wins is reachable in the playoffs.
By Number1inda'hoodG
Registration Days Posts
That's true, I forget that the playoffs and regular season count together. I still don't like our chances of getting there though, unless we sweep VA Tech.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
i think at this point LU needs to win the conference tournament or else the season probably will be over if they lose early in the tournament.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]