The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Losing Kirby in the circle won't help (although good to see she'll be coaching). Conversely, some of their better offensive talent last season is still there with now more experience. Also, it seems the ladies that transferred here have some pedigree so I'm anxious to see if this team can make some waves. I read today that they're favored once again to win the ASUN title but I'm hoping for more.

Also worth mentioning they have a tough schedule. They start with preseason #1 Oklahoma and #2 UCLA less than a week later...including 12 top 25 teams through the season...so this team will be tested early and often.
Excited to see what this team does this year after losing the top 2 hitters and the Ace of the staff. Which pitcher will step up and which hitters will fill the void? I'm hoping Roupe and Barret can add 50 points to their avg. from last year and a couple transfers can put up big offensive numbers. Our success will still hinge primarily on pitching, especially given the OOC competition. We will need to win some close games.
DStewart liked this
Chippy wrote:Excited to see what this team does this year after losing the top 2 hitters and the Ace of the staff. Which pitcher will step up and which hitters will fill the void? I'm hoping Roupe and Barret can add 50 points to their avg. from last year and a couple transfers can put up big offensive numbers. Our success will still hinge primarily on pitching, especially given the OOC competition. We will need to win some close games.
Looking at last years final stats, Hudson, Roupe, Howard, and Wilson were 1, 2, 4 and 5, respectively in RBI (Allan was 3rd) so they should still have some bats to brings home runs. But like you alluded to, there's always room for improvement.

And yeah, pitching will be key (like always right?) Wondering if someone will emerge as an ace??
I think the offense will be improved over last season. Team has good depth, we go 2 deep at every position. All the transfers should contribute, plus a couple of freshmen will battle for playing time. But as some have posted above, pitching will take the team ever how far it goes.
Keeney will be the ace. If she can improve on her change up for "strikes" or "outs", she should put up good numbers. As for #2 pitcher, I think it will be a battle between Jones and Estroff. If Jones can pound the strike zone, she should win a lot of games. Estroff beat #8 Texas last season, pitching for FGCU. She looked good in the fall except for 1 bad inning against UVA. Bachman looks improved over last season, and Deter could be a surprise. She had a couple good appearances in the fall. She shut out UVA for 3 innings in the final game of fall season. She allowed either 0 or 1 hit, in those 3 innings.
We're going to need someone to step up and beat the ACC and SEC teams on the schedule, to build a good RPI, and beat them again in NCAA Regionals.
Baybird, Cider Jim, DStewart liked this
Ballcoach never disappoints in his LU softball knowledge and analysis. :clapping
Also, Ballcoach will make an exception and go to an LU softball in Charlottesville. :oldhag
Last edited by Cider Jim on January 21st, 2023, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15, DStewart liked this
Dalegarz1 wrote:Hudson will be a marked person and I’m sure opposing teams will not let her beat them. As already pointed out, other hitters need to produce so that it will not be so easy to pitch around her. In the end, it always hinges on the CIRCLE!
With her power (that should only improve this season in her Junior year), that's a great point. If the ladies behind her are producing though, these Flames should light up some scoreboards.
DStewart wrote: January 21st, 2023, 3:31 pm @ballcoach15 Just curious, are you the gentlemen at the games wearing a headset, shouting "drive it"?
Red NASCAR headphones, typing ASOR softball posts non-stop on his cellphone, sitting with a bunch of old guys on the third base side yelling at the umpires. If Ballcoach thinks the umpires are really bad, he will move to sit directly behind them. :oldhag
ballcoach15, DStewart liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]