The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:08 am I think the PA announcer should probably share the burden for the loss. Those who were at the game will know what I'm talking about.
Since we all sorta question if you know what you’re talking about on a daily basis ………
thesportscritic liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:08 am I think the PA announcer should probably share the burden for the loss. Those who were at the game will know what I'm talking about.
Please share for those of us who have jobs and were at work yesterday.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Apparently it’s top secret :lol:
Or so bizarre he doesn’t want to embarrass himself publicly

So let us know when he tells you. Study
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: May 7th, 2022, 3:50 pm
The PA announcer mentioned that this was the senior relief pitcher's "last home game of her career." One member of the Old Men's Club (who will remain nameless) thought that statement jinxed her! :frustrated :nono :banghead
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 8th, 2022, 5:51 am
flamehunter wrote: May 7th, 2022, 3:50 pm
The PA announcer mentioned that this was the senior relief pitcher's "last home game of her career." One member of the Old Men's Club (who will remain nameless) thought that statement jinxed her! :frustrated :nono :banghead
That does not fall under the Jinx category. Stating she needed one more strike out to set some type of record (Perfect Game, No Hitter, 200th win etc) would trigger a Jinx. Stating it’s the players last career home game would not initiate such a catastrophic event. Whichever member of your bio’s club stated that is ignorant to the Rules and Regulations governing all things Jinx
Cider Jim liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: May 8th, 2022, 7:34 am For the benefit of the aforementioned :oldhag
For those of us who believe in God, a jinx is not a thing.
For those of us who played athletics at a high level….it is a real thing. You never tempt fate by summoning a Jinx. Ever. Crash Davis stated it best!

However, in this case, what the PA announcer did was not Jinx level. And shame on whoever is trying to falsely put that upon them. A pox upon their house if you will
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn’t have liked it. It’s not a jinx. But it adds emotion to the head game unnecessarily. I don’t think PA announcer should’ve said it.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 9:33 am I wouldn’t have liked it. It’s not a jinx. But it adds emotion to the head game unnecessarily. I don’t think PA announcer should’ve said it.
It’s not any different than recognizing Seniors on Senior Night. Jinx free Zone.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s not a Jinx. I don’t believe in them either.

It’s different than celebrating senior day because it was announced in-game, BEFORE she had to pitch. Give her a curtain call after she comes out of the game, not as she’s going in as a reliever.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 9:33 am I wouldn’t have liked it...But it adds emotion to the head game unnecessarily. I don’t think PA announcer should’ve said it.
The unnamed member of the Old Men's Club further stated that the PA announcer "doesn't know" softball or baseball for the very reason that you mentioned, JK--it adds unnecessary pressure to the female pitcher. :nono :nonono :nono
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 2:21 pm It’s not a Jinx. I don’t believe in them either.

It’s different than celebrating senior day because it was announced in-game, BEFORE she had to pitch. Give her a curtain call after she comes out of the game, not as she’s going in as a reliever.
If you are a Jinx unbeliever there’s really no way to have a reasonable and logical conversation with you about it :D
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 8th, 2022, 2:46 pm
JK37 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 9:33 am I wouldn’t have liked it...But it adds emotion to the head game unnecessarily. I don’t think PA announcer should’ve said it.
The unnamed member of the Old Men's Club further stated that the PA announcer "doesn't know" softball or baseball for the very reason that you mentioned, JK--it adds unnecessary pressure to the female pitcher. :nono :nonono :nono
Misogyny much?
JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
While Game Day Operations is being attacked, I may as well "run the score up".

Thursday night a Liberty player hit her first career home run. I was headed out to beyond left field fence to get the ball, and give it to her after the game. As I approached the fence, I met a staff member from press box with 3 or 4 softballs. I asked him was one of them the HR ball. He said yes, and then proceeded to throw all the balls in the bullpen area, and returned to press box.

After the post game prayer Thursday evening, the Stetson team went out in short right field for their post game critique by the coaches. The press box then proceeded to start playing music at full volume. This was a very poor display of sportsmanship to a visiting team. The game was over, turn the music off and go home. (I talked with more than one person who was upset about this)

And the PA announcer said Sparky picked out 3 songs. Sparky wasn't even at the game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 3:57 pm While Game Day Operations is being attacked, I may as well "run the score up".

Thursday night a Liberty player hit her first career home run. I was headed out to beyond left field fence to get the ball, and give it to her after the game. As I approached the fence, I met a staff member from press box with 3 or 4 softballs. I asked him was one of them the HR ball. He said yes, and then proceeded to throw all the balls in the bullpen area, and returned to press box.

After the post game prayer Thursday evening, the Stetson team went out in short right field for their post game critique by the coaches. The press box then proceeded to start playing music at full volume. This was a very poor display of sportsmanship to a visiting team. The game was over, turn the music off and go home. (I talked with more than one person who was upset about this)

And the PA announcer said Sparky picked out 3 songs. Sparky wasn't even at the game.
Letting the player keep the ball would probably have been an NCAA ‘extra benefits’ violation

Music is always played post game if I’m not mistaken. So im pretty sure no one was out to get Stetson or anything untoward.

Sparky could have done a Casey Kasam style Long Distance Dedication.

Try being more positive. Might help get more people interested in Softball
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 8th, 2022, 4:03 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 3:57 pm While Game Day Operations is being attacked, I may as well "run the score up".

Letting the player keep the ball would probably have been an NCAA ‘extra benefits’ violation

Music is always played post game if I’m not mistaken. So im pretty sure no one was out to get Stetson or anything untoward.

Fraudcoach is in the minority when it comes to music being played in ballparks.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:56 pm Sounds like we need to change the name of the old man's club to the grouchy old man's club. Geez.
I mean with the continuing negative posts, bashing of game ops, players, and posters on this board it should not be a surprise to the Old Curmudgeon Club that they cannot generate interest in Softball. The demeaning and negative posts are a sure fire way to make people less receptive to your exhortations.
I’m sure there are several people on this board who would love to give Softball a look but the constant negativity directed at them by folks like ballfan make them hesitant to do so.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote: May 8th, 2022, 8:39 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 8th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Fraudcoach is in the minority when it comes to music being played in ballparks.
I would take that a step further and say he is on an island all by himself.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: May 9th, 2022, 6:44 am
thesportscritic wrote: May 8th, 2022, 8:39 pm Fraudcoach is in the minority when it comes to music being played in ballparks.
I would take that a step further and say he is on an island all by himself.
The only reason Ballcoach heard the PA announcer and the Field Ops guy is because he left his headphones in his Jeep. :dontgetit :oldhag
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]