The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The success of the Lady Dukes brings to mind an ongoing discussion we have had about the benefits of playing a killer schedule like we have been doing and getting "battle tough" (but also taking some lickings) vs. the JMU approach of playing a non-conference schedule that allows you to pile up a bunch of wins. Up until this week, I was pretty sold on Dot's approach. I am now having some second thoughts.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 4:51 pm The dude switched and actually pulled for JMU today. He even watched the game.
Ballcoach, I couldn't be prouder of you! :clapping
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 5:09 pm The success of the Lady Dukes brings to mind an ongoing discussion we have had about the benefits of playing a killer schedule like we have been doing and getting "battle tough" (but also taking some lickings) vs. the JMU approach of playing a non-conference schedule that allows you to pile up a bunch of wins. Up until this week, I was pretty sold on Dot's approach. I am now having some second thoughts.
JMU also played fewer games than we did this year by a fair margin. I wonder if that helped them any? Fresher legs/arms? They obviously are really good on top of whatever schedule advantages they may have had.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Odicci Alexander, being a senior, an All-American, with her poise and composure, and her 71 mph rise ball helps.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:17 am Yeah, with that pitcher, it doesn’t matter what schedule you’re playing.
And yet, as good as she is, it's not like she completely dominated us. We took her deep 3 times if I recall correctly. Our problem turned out to be our own pitching moreso than hitting. As fantastic a job as Dot has done, IMHO the one area she seems to have come up short in is recruiting a true ace to take the mound. There is probably no other sport where one player can totally transform a team's fortunes like a dominant softball pitcher can.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 8:03 am
JK37 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:17 am Yeah, with that pitcher, it doesn’t matter what schedule you’re playing.
And yet, as good as she is, it's not like she completely dominated us. We took her deep 3 times if I recall correctly. Our problem turned out to be our own pitching moreso than hitting. As fantastic a job as Dot has done, IMHO the one area she seems to have come up short in is recruiting a true ace to take the mound. There is probably no other sport where one player can totally transform a team's fortunes like a dominant softball pitcher can.
I know I'm repeating myself but JMU was under seeded at a 3 for the regional. We could have beat most any other 3 seed in the pool. "ands, if and buts . . . . " It's just unfortunate, as this was our best overall team. We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 5:45 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 4:51 pm The dude switched and actually pulled for JMU today. He even watched the game.
Ballcoach, I couldn't be prouder of you! :clapping
Quite frankly, I'm shocked. :shock:
Not accustomed to seeing the old ballcoach actually listen to reason and respond appropriately.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 9:40 am

We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
Goodbye to 44 HRs. Add Via's 2 HR, and there's 4 HRs in Transfer Portal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 9:40 am

We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
Goodbye to 44 HRs. Add Via's 2 HR, and there's 4 HRs in Transfer Portal.
I did the math a couple days ago, I think we lose 62% of our RBIs and 75% of our HRs.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Who, pray tell, is the transfer who has the other 4 HRs? Obviously a starter which would mean we only return 3 of the 8 starters, excluding the pitcher.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:34 pm Who, pray tell, is the transfer who has the other 4 HRs?
Sources say it was one of our infielders.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 7:52 pm Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
. . . and a better chance of going to college WCWS! Their best player will be a 1st team AA and plays SS!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 7:52 pm Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
That sounds like a "her" problem. Her sister probably has "more fun" no matter where she is or what she is doing. Either that, or she is looking for a kind of fun not allowed at LU, in which case she should by all means move on.
ballcoach15 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: ↑June 3rd, 2021, 7:07 pm Huge win for JMU today as they beat Oklahoma (9-5 favorite to win national championship). I wonder how far they can go. Thoughts?
They will go as far as the pitcher they have will take them. Otherwise they are a pretty average team, she makes them very good. I hope they win it all.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I posted this in the non LU sports:

Exactly! Never should have been a 3 seed given their record, their talent level (a lot of starters from regionals/superregionals in the last 5 years) and Alexander, who was an AA pitcher in 2019. I want to believe we could have beat any of the remaining 3 seeds in the tourney (teams 33-48). JMU was not a 33-48 rated team. The announcers said Alexander was spotted at an LU softball camp and was only offered by Longwood, West Virginia Wesleyan/or Virginia Wesleyan, and JMU. Not us!!!!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑June 3rd, 2021, 9:32 pm I posted this in the non LU sports:

Exactly! Never should have been a 3 seed given their record, their talent level (a lot of starters from regionals/superregionals in the last 5 years) and Alexander, who was an AA pitcher in 2019. I want to believe we could have beat any of the remaining 3 seeds in the tourney (teams 33-48). JMU was not a 33-48 rated team. The announcers said Alexander was spotted at an LU softball camp and was only offered by Longwood, West Virginia Wesleyan/or Virginia Wesleyan, and JMU. Not us!!!!
Va Wesleyan won the D3 Softball Championship this year.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]