The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The success of the Lady Dukes brings to mind an ongoing discussion we have had about the benefits of playing a killer schedule like we have been doing and getting "battle tough" (but also taking some lickings) vs. the JMU approach of playing a non-conference schedule that allows you to pile up a bunch of wins. Up until this week, I was pretty sold on Dot's approach. I am now having some second thoughts.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 4:51 pm The dude switched and actually pulled for JMU today. He even watched the game.
Ballcoach, I couldn't be prouder of you! :clapping
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 5:09 pm The success of the Lady Dukes brings to mind an ongoing discussion we have had about the benefits of playing a killer schedule like we have been doing and getting "battle tough" (but also taking some lickings) vs. the JMU approach of playing a non-conference schedule that allows you to pile up a bunch of wins. Up until this week, I was pretty sold on Dot's approach. I am now having some second thoughts.
JMU also played fewer games than we did this year by a fair margin. I wonder if that helped them any? Fresher legs/arms? They obviously are really good on top of whatever schedule advantages they may have had.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Odicci Alexander, being a senior, an All-American, with her poise and composure, and her 71 mph rise ball helps.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:17 am Yeah, with that pitcher, it doesn’t matter what schedule you’re playing.
And yet, as good as she is, it's not like she completely dominated us. We took her deep 3 times if I recall correctly. Our problem turned out to be our own pitching moreso than hitting. As fantastic a job as Dot has done, IMHO the one area she seems to have come up short in is recruiting a true ace to take the mound. There is probably no other sport where one player can totally transform a team's fortunes like a dominant softball pitcher can.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 8:03 am
JK37 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:17 am Yeah, with that pitcher, it doesn’t matter what schedule you’re playing.
And yet, as good as she is, it's not like she completely dominated us. We took her deep 3 times if I recall correctly. Our problem turned out to be our own pitching moreso than hitting. As fantastic a job as Dot has done, IMHO the one area she seems to have come up short in is recruiting a true ace to take the mound. There is probably no other sport where one player can totally transform a team's fortunes like a dominant softball pitcher can.
I know I'm repeating myself but JMU was under seeded at a 3 for the regional. We could have beat most any other 3 seed in the pool. "ands, if and buts . . . . " It's just unfortunate, as this was our best overall team. We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 5:45 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 30th, 2021, 4:51 pm The dude switched and actually pulled for JMU today. He even watched the game.
Ballcoach, I couldn't be prouder of you! :clapping
Quite frankly, I'm shocked. :shock:
Not accustomed to seeing the old ballcoach actually listen to reason and respond appropriately.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 9:40 am

We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
Goodbye to 44 HRs. Add Via's 2 HR, and there's 4 HRs in Transfer Portal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 9:40 am

We say goodbye to 38 HRs (Bishops and Sweat) next year.
Goodbye to 44 HRs. Add Via's 2 HR, and there's 4 HRs in Transfer Portal.
I did the math a couple days ago, I think we lose 62% of our RBIs and 75% of our HRs.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Who, pray tell, is the transfer who has the other 4 HRs? Obviously a starter which would mean we only return 3 of the 8 starters, excluding the pitcher.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 2:34 pm Who, pray tell, is the transfer who has the other 4 HRs?
Sources say it was one of our infielders.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 7:52 pm Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
. . . and a better chance of going to college WCWS! Their best player will be a 1st team AA and plays SS!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: ↑May 31st, 2021, 7:52 pm Unofficially, I was told "her sister plays for Arkansas, and she has more fun sitting on bench, than Savannah does at LU, starting and playing every game", thus she decided to leave. I heard this several weeks ago..

???????
That sounds like a "her" problem. Her sister probably has "more fun" no matter where she is or what she is doing. Either that, or she is looking for a kind of fun not allowed at LU, in which case she should by all means move on.
ballcoach15 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: ↑June 3rd, 2021, 7:07 pm Huge win for JMU today as they beat Oklahoma (9-5 favorite to win national championship). I wonder how far they can go. Thoughts?
They will go as far as the pitcher they have will take them. Otherwise they are a pretty average team, she makes them very good. I hope they win it all.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I posted this in the non LU sports:

Exactly! Never should have been a 3 seed given their record, their talent level (a lot of starters from regionals/superregionals in the last 5 years) and Alexander, who was an AA pitcher in 2019. I want to believe we could have beat any of the remaining 3 seeds in the tourney (teams 33-48). JMU was not a 33-48 rated team. The announcers said Alexander was spotted at an LU softball camp and was only offered by Longwood, West Virginia Wesleyan/or Virginia Wesleyan, and JMU. Not us!!!!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: ↑June 3rd, 2021, 9:32 pm I posted this in the non LU sports:

Exactly! Never should have been a 3 seed given their record, their talent level (a lot of starters from regionals/superregionals in the last 5 years) and Alexander, who was an AA pitcher in 2019. I want to believe we could have beat any of the remaining 3 seeds in the tourney (teams 33-48). JMU was not a 33-48 rated team. The announcers said Alexander was spotted at an LU softball camp and was only offered by Longwood, West Virginia Wesleyan/or Virginia Wesleyan, and JMU. Not us!!!!
Va Wesleyan won the D3 Softball Championship this year.
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]