The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
Some impressive stats for our first round opponent.

Batting:
1. Sara Jubas - B.A. 427 with 10 home runs
2. Kate Gordon - B.A. 417 with 17 home runs and 52 RBI's
3. Madison Naujokas - B.A. 354 with 23 SB out of 23 Attempts

Pitching:
1. Odicci Alexander - 12-0 - ERA (.62), 138 k's in 79 innings
2. Alissa Humphrey - 13-0 - ERA (1.47), 132 k's in 86 innings
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Their schedule is pretty cupcake. Common opponents:

Longwood - we went 4-0 by a combined score of 44-5 with only one game going the full 7. They were 2-0 winning 6-0 and 1-0.
They did beat UVA, a team we beat twice. We also both beat Radford. As far as I can tell, this will be their first game against a top 25 team. I believe we have played 11, with over half of them top 10.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 5:36 pm And lost all but...one?

Pretty even matchup I think.
2-9. Most of the losses were to teams in the top 7.

I agree. It should be a good matchup. Their 34-1 record is obviously fools gold, but I think they are good. Only loss was by 1 run to Elon on the road.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. We CANNOT take them lightly. So hard coming from deep in loser’s bracket.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just doesn’t seem to any advantage being a 2 over a 3 in these set ups.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I can’t believe Carone had to lay that out. 2 seed gets the Hammer. Big deal.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 17th, 2021, 10:45 pm 2-seed hits last as the home team. That’s a big advantage.
I've always heard this from baseball/softball diehards but the statistics don't really back it up so I'd be curious as to why you believe it is a BIG advantage.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Here are the first 3 articles I found after a pretty quick google search:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/180 ... jor-sports

https://sabr.org/journal/article/home-f ... s%20played.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/is-home-fie ... ndangered/

So yes, there seems to be a slight advantage but the way a lot of baseball purest talk it is a huge advantage. This also doesn't take into account neutral fields but it is hard to find those stats. Of course this is just baseball so maybe there are different stats for softball.

It is just something I have always heard from purest and nobody has ever actually proved any tangible evidence that batting last actually provide any kind of meaningful advantage. If you have something that proves that point then I am all ears.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I guess one would be hard pressed to find stats, as to whether having last at-bat is an advantage, but I think every Coach in college softball would choose to have last at-bat, if they had the choice.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But it is smaller than in other sports but again this doesn't take into account a neutral field.
By Jonathan Carone
So are you just being contrarian to be contrarian then?

You always want the ball last in any sport. It gives you a chance to sit on a lead or come back if needed. When you're on offense, you're in control. That's pretty given regardless of the sport.
ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 18th, 2021, 8:56 am So are you just being contrarian to be contrarian then?

You always want the ball last in any sport. It gives you a chance to sit on a lead or come back if needed. When you're on offense, you're in control. That's pretty given regardless of the sport.
Yikes. That isn't it at all. I just wanted to know why this is a hardcore stance of a lot of baseball people. Your answer makes sense. Thanks.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Dalegarz1
In 1992, I was the coach of a high school softball team that won the Group IV State Championship. We had a lot of speed in the top of our lineup and during the tournament always batted first. (There was a coin flip to determine home team. If our opponent won the toss, they always chose home team. If we won, we always chose visiting). I liked the idea of scoring first and putting our opponent under the pressure of playing from behind. A different perspective for you all to consider and it, obviously, has to do with the makeup of your team.
Sly Fox, flamehunter, Purple Haize and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
My point was in the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of an advantage. Yes batting last is mostly seen as a good thing. But if you are already up it doesn’t really matter.
At the end of the day your gonna have to (most likely) play the #1 seed. Batting last on a neutral field meh. I’d rather have it than not but it’s not something that’s jaw droppingly advantageous
thepostman liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 2:44 pm JMU defeats Missouri 7-2, to earn World Series berth.
Makes Liberty look a little better.
Sounds like Purple has COACHED UP Ballcoach! :shock: I would have never believed that Ballcoach was that teachable. :oldhag
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]