The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We win 8-0 by run rule in 5. The Elon coach "pulled a ballcoach" in this one. Amber had homered in her first 2 at bats, and when she came up in the 4th with a runner on first and nobody out................ they intentionally walked her. 8)

Amber now has 8 home runs on the year, which I believe puts her tied for second in the nation, one behind the leader.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Amber hit one homer that nicked the top of scoreboard. It lacked probably 1/2 inch or less from clearing scoreboard.

Autumn hit a ball off right field wall, that outfielder caught as it came off wall. The umpire called her out.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
No small feat considering the schedule.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: March 1st, 2020, 10:01 pm No small feat considering the schedule.
Assuming that this is in response to Amber's HR total, yes, to a degree, although her production has certainly gone up recently against teams that don't have the elite pitching she faced in the first 14 games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We certainly need Autumn and at least 1 or 2 other hitters to start producing more consistently if we are going to keep on this roll. Otherwise, opponents will be pitching around Amber more and more, up to and including the point of intentionally walking her in situations you normally don't, as we saw against Elon.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
She was intentionally walked 3 times Friday vs Penn. Autumn appears to be busting out of her slump. She has hit ball good past 4 or 5 games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:23 am She was intentionally walked 3 times Friday vs Penn. Autumn appears to be busting out of her slump. She has hit ball good past 4 or 5 games.
Intentionally walking a team's best hitter is SOP if first base is open. It's when they start doing it with a runner on first that it becomes unusual. I believe Elon was the first to do that, but I'm not positive.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Dalegarz1
Basic principle that works in all sports. Don't let the other teams best player beat you! The Patriots have been doing that for years.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 1:08 pm Basic principle that works in all sports. Don't let the other teams best player beat you! The Patriots have been doing that for years.
Like any one "principle", you can get carried away with it. I remember back when Stephen Curry was leading the nation in scoring, one of Davidson's opposing coaches decided that he wasn't going to beat them and assigned 2 players to guard him with or without the ball from the moment he set foot on the court. Being the well coached team they are, the Wildcats took full advantage of the numbers mismatch, having Curry hang out around half court most of the time to take the 2 players guarding him completely out of the mix, while the Wildcats went 4 against 3 and won by about 40.

I think it can be a legitimate strategy in softball to walk an opponents star hitter when first base is occupied if they are not only the other team's best, but are demonstrably a dominant hitter with home run power and they have no real reason to fear the batters who follow her. I think what Elon did yesterday was legit considering how Amber had torched them the previous 2 ABs. I'm sure ballcoach would say they should have done it even if the bases were loaded. IMHO that would never be wise.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Another major factor is "2 outs" when issuing intentional walk.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 2:07 pm
Dalegarz1 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 1:08 pm Basic principle that works in all sports. Don't let the other teams best player beat you! The Patriots have been doing that for years.
Like any one "principle", you can get carried away with it. I remember back when Stephen Curry was leading the nation in scoring, one of Davidson's opposing coaches decided that he wasn't going to beat them and assigned 2 players to guard him with or without the ball from the moment he set foot on the court. Being the well coached team they are, the Wildcats took full advantage of the numbers mismatch, having Curry hang out around half court most of the time to take the 2 players guarding him completely out of the mix, while the Wildcats went 4 against 3 and won by about 40.

I think it can be a legitimate strategy in softball to walk an opponents star hitter when first base is occupied if they are not only the other team's best, but are demonstrably a dominant hitter with home run power and they have no real reason to fear the batters who follow her. I think what Elon did yesterday was legit considering how Amber had torched them the previous 2 ABs. I'm sure ballcoach would say they should have done it even if the bases were loaded. IMHO that would never be wise.
Now the pressure would be on our cleanup hitter, at this time Caroline Hudson. I can see Autumn being moved to that spot and dare the opposing team to walk Amber intentionally.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Now the pressure would be on our cleanup hitter, at this time Caroline Hudson. I can see Autumn being moved to that spot and dare the opposing team to walk Amber intentionally.

Clemente had Stargell.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

I was thinking the same thing while on my bicycle ride today.
By Dalegarz1
If my team is up by 4 runs late in the game and Amber comes up with the bases loaded, I WALK her! For the traditionalists among you, you are probably cringing at the thought of bringing the winning run to the plate. However, with our lineup, at least at the present time, I think it's the right move.
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]