The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The last 2 college softball world series champions.
By Dalegarz1
Trail 5-0 after two to UCLA. We're hitless and have committed 2 errors already. This could get ugly-hoping we can mount some offense.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 1:21 pm Trail 5-0 after two to UCLA. We're hitless and have committed 2 errors already. This could get ugly-hoping we can mount some offense.
Thanks for the updates.
By Dalegarz1
Lose by mercy rule (9-1) in 5 innings. Record stands at 1-8 with Florida State and Michigan (2) looming.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know why starting pitcher got pulled in 1st inning ?
Last edited by ballcoach15 on February 15th, 2020, 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 2:33 pm Lose by mercy rule (9-1) in 5 innings. Record stands at 1-8 with Florida State and Michigan (2) looming.
I like the use of the word “looming”. Keeping the kids optimistic motivated and away from bad habits is going to be quite the task at this point
By Dalegarz1
Sports psychology is no joke. "I think I can" is a whole lot better than "I'm afraid I can't". It's all about expectations and DR has her hands full with managing those with her team.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:04 pm Sports psychology is no joke. "I think I can" is a whole lot better than "I'm afraid I can't". It's all about expectations and DR has her hands full with managing those with her team.
And “I know I can” is even better. The worst (or best) being “Great, here we go again”. We dealt with it this year. Unbelievably taxing. Requires a tremendous amount of trust etc.
By Dalegarz1
LU pitchers gave up 15 hits in 5 innings! At this point, we are a long way off from being a tournament team. Even if we were to win ASUN tournament, the memories of these games could have a significant impact on team confidence entering the NCAA's.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
By tournament time, our freshmen should be veterans. Pitching staff should be rounded into shape, by then.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:52 am By tournament time, our freshmen should be veterans. Pitching staff should be rounded into shape, by then.
Or so beat down they can’t compete
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:52 am By tournament time, our freshmen should be veterans. Pitching staff should be rounded into shape, by then.
They will have the same amount of experience they would have had facing a more reasonable schedule. I can see some advantage for the hitters to have faced a lot of tough pitching. As for our pitchers being lit up game in and game out..... not so much.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:04 am

It's only the 2nd week of a 3 month season. You must think positive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:06 am

Like you did with the high school girl basketball players, right?

I sincerely hope our softball team is able to maintain their morale, have a good season in conference, and end up in the tournament. I understand the concept of challenging yourself against tough competition. Dot has always done that. I just happen to believe she took it to an unnecessary extreme with this schedule.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 16th, 2020, 12:45 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:06 am

Like you did with the high school girl basketball players, right?

I sincerely hope our softball team is able to maintain their morale, have a good season in conference, and end up in the tournament. I understand the concept of challenging yourself against tough competition. Dot has always done that. I just happen to believe she took it to an unnecessary extreme with this schedule.
I’m with you. If this is a veteran team the ability to bounce back. A young team....I dunno. Maybe in a year or two as a way to set an example of what she WANTS them to be. I don’t know. She’s the coach, she’s got her reasons for doing what she’s doing. But if I were a dedicated observer it would be more interesting to see the psyche of the players, especially pitchers, and how they respond in close games than W and L’s
By Dalegarz1
Purple Haze wrote: I’m with you. If this is a veteran team the ability to bounce back. A young team....I dunno. Maybe in a year or two as a way to set an example of what she WANTS them to be. I don’t know. She’s the coach, she’s got her reasons for doing what she’s doing. But if I were a dedicated observer it would be more interesting to see the psyche of the players, especially pitchers, and how they respond in close games than W and L’s.

Spot on PH!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm Purple Haze wrote: I’m with you. If this is a veteran team the ability to bounce back. A young team....I dunno. Maybe in a year or two as a way to set an example of what she WANTS them to be. I don’t know. She’s the coach, she’s got her reasons for doing what she’s doing. But if I were a dedicated observer it would be more interesting to see the psyche of the players, especially pitchers, and how they respond in close games than W and L’s.

Spot on PH!
I'm starting to think that Emily Kirby is taking one for the team. She is getting lit up every game and hopefully the freshmen can come in without the stress of starting. Belagorska is being protected, Keeney somewhat. She seems to be the #1 in the circle at this point. Throws hard and has movement. Johnson has good stuff but needs to vary her pitch speed. Her changeup is too fast, usually @ 56 mph not much different from the drop ball which is 63, and it usually ends up in the seats. Just a few personal observations.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think the change up is most important pitch for everyone on staff. All need to master it, and get outs or strikes with it.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Chippy, thanks for the straightforward, detailed and poignant analysis. Better then BC’s generalities.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]