The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
I've watched this team enough to identify, IMHO, some weaknesses in their approach to hitting.
1. Pitch selection has been a consistent problem. I've seen it go both ways-good hitters swinging at bad pitches and the weaker hitters letting good pitches go by. My teams always had a running dialog in the dugout about what the pitcher was throwing and what was her "go to" pitch. In addition, we always charted the other teams pitcher to try and pick up patterns.

2. Bat speed through the zone needs to be improved. A quick swing allows you to wait longer on the ball. This speed comes through technique and strength drills. As popular as the saying is, "see the ball, hit the ball", it is an oversimplification of the approach to hitting.

3. Plate coverage is a problem for a few of our hitters. With increases bat speed you can cover the outside part of the plate (standing a little closer) and still open up to handle the inside pitch.

For us old-timers , Jim Rice of the Red Sox had this type of swing. Short and compact. A long swing is NOT a good softball swing.

I love the direction this program is going under DR and am a real fan of her as a coach. However, let's get to the next level.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im no softball expert and didnt watch a ton but to me it seems like we have too many slap hitters. I watch the top talent on tv and it seems like they opposite of us. More power less slap. Maybe we cant get the hitters we want or maybe its best d alignment. Dunno. Dont think we can go much further without getting better there.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Im no softball expert and didnt watch a ton but to me it seems like we have too many slap hitters. I watch the top talent on tv and it seems like they opposite of us. More power less slap. Maybe we cant get the hitters we want or maybe its best d alignment. Dunno. Dont think we can go much further without getting better there.
There were no slap hitters in the lineup against Longwood. However, we do have a number of holes in the lineup, especially since Canetto went down with knee. Again aside from 1 player there is no HR threat in the lineup.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I wasnt talking that game specifically. Just the couple i went to and listened a bit today. Seems a lot of small ball. Again far from an expert.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]