The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Final series of the year, and while we obviously want the sweep, unless I am wrong, we only need 2 of 3 to clinch the #1 seed for the ASUN tournament. We are currently 15-3 and FGCU is 11-3. I don't know the specifics, but obviously FGCU must have had a game cancelled at some point. Unless they are able to reschedule it (I would think unlikely) the best they can finish is 17-3. If we take 2 of 3 from N Bama, we would be 17-4. They win, right? Wrong. Unless the ASUN has different rules from the BSC and every other conference I know of, the seedings in baseball and softball are determined by the number of wins, not the W-L record. If Liberty and FGCU both finish with 17 wins, we would get the 1 seed based on sweeping them head to head earlier this year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ASUN does not make up games. I am not sure if they go with total wins or best winning percentage. Hopefully we bring brooms to N Alabama.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm pretty sure it's total wins. That removes the possibility of one or both of the participating teams benefiting from the cancellation of a game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Lion1983 wrote:Any of yall ih Florence today for the game?
No but I spoke with a Florence today
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I arrived here last night. Just finished a 22 mile bicycle ride. Now at Burger King eating pre game meal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We lose 1-0, had runner thrown out attempting to steal 2B with 1 out in 7th. Only had 3 hits. Poor plate discipline. Feeable swings
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We lose 1-0, had runner thrown out attempting to steal 2B with 1 out in 7th. Only had 3 hits. Poor plate discipline. Feeable swings
Yeah, it's a crying shame we don't have #LegendInHisOwnMind for a coach and have to settle for an actual legend. I don't suppose it's remotely possible that N Bama's pitcher had anything to do with those "feeable" swings?

I believe this is the 5th time this year Julia has lost a game 1-0.

I'm pretty sure we can still clinch the 1 seed if we win the next 2.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Regular season champion is determined by winning percentage.
In conference?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes. This was told to me in Alabama by a very good source.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on April 28th, 2019, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It would seem to me that determining seeding by win % while not allowing makeup games is incompatible with a fair outcome.
If FGCU ends up winning the 1 seed with a 17-3 record over Liberty with a 17-4 record, they potentially benefited from the cancellation of a game. My understanding is that avoiding this type of scenario was the reasoning behind the BSC deciding to use total wins to determine seedings. Considering the track record of your sources, I'm highly skeptical. Maybe Jon or Damien can clarify this for us.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
It would seem to me that determining seeding by win % while not allowing makeup games is incompatible with a fair outcome.
If FGCU ends up winning the 1 seed with a 17-3 record over Liberty with a 17-4 record, they potentially benefited from the cancellation of a game. My understanding is that avoiding this type of scenario was the reasoning behind the BSC deciding to use total wins to determine seedings. Considering the track record of your sources, I'm highly skeptical. Maybe Jon or Damien can clarify this for us.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Source of this information is a never before used source, in Alabama. ASUN should require all conference games that have bearing on regular season championship to be played.
It would be bad if a champion was decided by a grounds crew who didn't put tarp on infield or some other weird thing.
But hopefully we win today and FGCU loses a game today or next week. If my memory is correct Lipscomb is still in the hunt. I think they have 4 losses in conference.

In all 4 of our conference defeats, we have "beat ourselves". We should be undefeated in ASUN.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Source of this information is a never before used source, in Alabama. ASUN should require all conference games that have bearing on regular season championship to be played.
It would be bad if a champion was decided by a grounds crew who didn't put tarp on infield or some other weird thing.
But hopefully we win today and FGCU loses a game today or next week. If my memory is correct Lipscomb is still in the hunt. I think they have 4 losses in conference.

In all 4 of our conference defeats, we have "beat ourselves". We should be undefeated in ASUN.
In ballcoach world, we "should" always go undefeated and every game we lose, we beat ourselves. You seem to be forgetting that we took a huge step up in competition when we moved to the ASUN, ESPECIALLY in softball and baseball.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We should have only 3 defeats on the season: Baylor, Washington and 1 other loss in California. Can't recall team. In all others, we beat ourselves.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We should have only 3 defeats on the season: Baylor, Washington and 1 other loss in California. Can't recall team. In all others, we beat ourselves.
Yeah, right. :roll:

So, what about the wins? I suppose our opponents never "beat themselves"?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:DiMartino now has lost 6 1-0 games :cry:
She did her part
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I'm sure we lacked plate discipline and our swings were feeble.
Don’t forget poor fielding
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach is at the race track at Talladega. :oldhag Softball is the farthest thing from his mind today.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]