The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
UNC is currently 22-13. The #1 pitcher, Brittany Pickett is 13-7 with an ERA 0f 1.79. She averages nearly a strikeout an inning and opposing teams have hit .202 against her. Offensively, they have some impressive stats. Five players are hitting over .300 and the team batting average is also over .300. We need to swing the bats well in this one!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Base running blunders (agressiveness?) and errors have been our demise this year. Lost to JMU last week on unearned run (1-0) and today to UNC (3-2) on unearned run.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We come out on the short end of a 3-2 score, with the winning run once again scoring as a result of errors at 3b. Sound familiar? At this point I don't blame Jaclyn any more. She isn't the one filling out the lineup card.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We get 5 hits in 3rd. Inning and only score 2 runs. One runner out stealing 2nd. One runner out at the plate.

Maybe our worst loss of the season.
By Dalegarz1
We come out on the short end of a 3-2 score, with the winning run once again scoring as a result of errors at 3b. Sound familiar? At this point I don't blame Jaclyn any more. She isn't the one filling out the lineup card.

There's got to be another option at 3B. It's probably in her head now and she's too good of a hitter to let her fielding woes affect her hitting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:We come out on the short end of a 3-2 score, with the winning run once again scoring as a result of errors at 3b. Sound familiar? At this point I don't blame Jaclyn any more. She isn't the one filling out the lineup card.

There's got to be another option at 3B. It's probably in her head now and she's too good of a hitter to let her fielding woes affect her hitting.
I give Jaclyn a ton of credit for the fact that she has been able to continue contributing on offense in spite of her defensive woes. There are other options. No guarantee the results will be better, but what we are doing now is Einstein's definition of insanity.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Looking at last years stats, we had 40 errors in 63 games; this year we have 48 in 42 games; hence the W-L record.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Looking at last years stats, we had 40 errors in 63 games; this year we have 48 in 42 games; hence the W-L record.
I think there are other reasons, including a somewhat tougher schedule, but the errors certainly are a big contributor. What is frustrating is that despite the fact that an inordinate % of the errors are coming from 1 position, no change is made. Starti ng 3b has 16 errors in 111 chances. The other 3 infield positions combined have 16 in 551.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Lack of good situational hitting and base running, worries me more than the defense.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Lack of good situational hitting and base running, worries me more than the defense.
Aggressive base running can have it's down side, but it also yields benefits. There is zero upside to bad defense. "Situational" hitting? I assume you mean we sometimes get runners in scoring position and don't drive them in. When an error is charged, it by definition means a play that should have been made was not. You can't say that about hitting. There is a pitcher on the mound and 8 other defenders on the field for the other team.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hard to believe, but UNC beat Florida State 2 out of 3 this past weekend.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not at all...softball/baseball is something where it doesn't matter if you're #1 and you're facing #321, if the pitching is on and the hitters are seeing the ball well, you can beat a supposedly "superior" team
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is true, but FSU should not lose 2 out of 3 to UNC. Same as LU should not lose 2 out of 3 to Kennesaw State.
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's w[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Yeah I'm still registered in Florida since I'm sti[…]

I think the online strategy has proven to have l[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This probably saves the AAC until the ACC gets pic[…]