The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
Record is 14-19 overall; 3-3 in the ASUN.
Both main pitchers give up over a hit per inning and strikeouts are less than 1/2 per inning.
A sweep on our home field would be nice.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU scores 3 in bottom 7th to win 5-3. Kayla Harris tied game with solo HR, her second of game. Amber Bishop hits walk off 2 run HR to win it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It will be interesting to see who Dot starts on the mound in game 2. Cassidy, who had been pitching great lately, was ineffective in game 1 and Julia had to come in and pitch the last 5 innings. I'd like to see Cooper get a shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back with Chase.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Julia back on the mound to start game 2. She threw over 90 pitches in the first game, so it's highly unlikely she will go the distance.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I didn't stay for game 2, but I was listening on the radio and heard that we got an inside-the-ballpark homerun!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
final score was 6-0. Our pitchers haven't given up an earned run in the last 3 games, and were it not for a 7th inning comeback in game 1 today we would be 1-2 in those games. Same player responsible for all 4 unearned runs. She is probably our best offensive player not named Bishop, and we need her in the lineup, just not playing third base.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sarah Robertson had outstanding game in game 2. She went 2-2 with 2 RBIs and walk. On defense she had 6 assists and 3 PO. Madison Via had inside the park HR.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:final score was 6-0. Our pitchers haven't given up an earned run in the last 3 games, and were it not for a 7th inning comeback in game 1 today we would be 1-2 in those games. Same player responsible for all 4 unearned runs. She is probably our best offensive player not named Bishop, and we need her in the lineup, just not playing third base.
With Canetto out for the season, we already have 4 players in the lineup hitting under .200. Might as well play Riley Reynolds at 3rd and DP our 3rd baseman. Just a thought.
By CarolinaBlue
Our Pitching is ranked in the Top Ten in the country for ERA. It’s keeps us in ball games when we don’t hit well. The errors are really starting to hurt as we head into the critical time of our season. On the Pitching side of things Coach Cassady might win another Coach of the Year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
oldflame wrote:final score was 6-0. Our pitchers haven't given up an earned run in the last 3 games, and were it not for a 7th inning comeback in game 1 today we would be 1-2 in those games. Same player responsible for all 4 unearned runs. She is probably our best offensive player not named Bishop, and we need her in the lineup, just not playing third base.
With Canetto out for the season, we already have 4 players in the lineup hitting under .200. Might as well play Riley Reynolds at 3rd and DP our 3rd baseman. Just a thought.
That would certainly be an option. Another would be to play Griffin, who was a highly regarded defensive ss in HS at short (and also brings some pop with the bat) and play Robertson some at 3b. It looks to me like Dot may be too close to see the forest for the trees in regards to Amader. Her athleticism and arm would say she should be outstanding at 3b, but she is not. Brittany Lee is another young player who would probably be an upgrade defensively. Why we used her at dp the other day is. :dontgetit Jaclyn needs to be dp or maybe lf.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We lead 5-1 in game 3; bottom of the 5th. Amber Bishop has come out of the game for some reason. (I'm just checking in on live stats.) Hope she is not hurt. That would be devastating.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We get the win 7-1. Kirby the win and Julia the save. Now holding my breath on Amber's status.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Here's a question. If DR thinks Griffin is a better defensive 3b than Amader, why not start her and have Amader dp in place of Emily Sweat and her .094 BA?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: Now holding my breath on Amber's status.
Ballcoach, what do your sources say???
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Nothing about an injury to Amber in the official website report. Could have been a precaution for something minor, or maybe Dot just wanted to see Lew defensively at second base with a nice lead. Amber is only so-so as a defensive second baseman.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Here's a question. If DR thinks Griffin is a better defensive 3b than Amader, why not start her and have Amader dp in place of Emily Sweat and her .094 BA?
Sweat is swinging the bat better than her BA indicates. She got robbed of a hit with bases loaded Saturday when ball hit a runner leaving 1B. yesterday, she ripped 2 hard hit balls right at first baseman, who made good play on the ball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
oldflame wrote:Here's a question. If DR thinks Griffin is a better defensive 3b than Amader, why not start her and have Amader dp in place of Emily Sweat and her .094 BA?
Sweat is swinging the bat better than her BA indicates. She got robbed of a hit with bases loaded Saturday when ball hit a runner leaving 1B. yesterday, she ripped 2 hard hit balls right at first baseman, who made good play on the ball.
OK, let's see. 3 hits in 32 at bats with 1 RBI vs. the expert opinion of ballcoach that she has just been unlucky. Tough call. :roll:

If Sweat could play 3b, maybe you give her the benefit of the doubt over Griffin, who is hitting just above the Mendoza line herself. She can't. The big issue is getting better defense at 3b. Looks like Dot is still clinging to the hope that Amader will "come around". The last 2 seasons say it won't happen.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Were you at the Stetson games this pass weekend ? I know what I saw, and I think anyone who was at games will back me up. She did swing bat well, and "pulled the ball".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Were you at the Stetson games this pass weekend ? I know what I saw, and I think anyone who was at games will back me up. She did swing bat well, and "pulled the ball".
Says the guy who comments on any game he was never at #fraudcoach :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
PH, I haven't seen you at any LU softball games this season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:PH, I haven't seen you at any LU softball games this season.
Nor have you seen me offer any opinions about strategy or coaching. See how that works?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]