The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The All Conference team is scheduled be announced this afternoon. I think LU should have POY, COY and Pitcher of Year, along with 5 First Team selections, (maybe 6)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The All Conference team will be announced this afternoon. I think LU should have POY, COY and Pitcher of Year, along with 5 First Team selections, (maybe 6)
Julia should be Pitcher of the Year. No way anyone on our team wins POY. Katy Prebble will likely win that as well as FOY. COY is a crap shoot. I think 5 first teamers is a bit of a stretch. Julia and both Bishops should be in there, although they may have to make Autumn the "utility player". Robertson, Amader and McFarland should be in contention, but I'll be surprised if more than one of them makes first team. Believe it or not ballcoach, there are a lot of players in other uniforms who have put up crazy good numbers this year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I refrained from mentioned names, but since you did, I will. DiMartino, both Bishops, Robertson, Via, McFarland.

Amber Bishop should be POY.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Prebble from GW will get POY. She's batting .436, 22 HR, 69 RBI. 50 points higher than Amber on BA, twice the HR's and 32 more RBI's. Hard to argue against her. She also has a higher fielding %.
As for pitcher, no doubt Julia deserves it. And COY should be Dot's as well but that's political sometimes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I refrained from mentioned names, but since you did, I will. DiMartino, both Bishops, Robertson, Via, McFarland.

Amber Bishop should be POY.
Katie Prebble hit over 50 points higher than Amber, with twice as many HRs and 32 more RBI. Factor in also that she had to go up against our pitchers for 3 of those games. :roll:

I don't think they have an all-freshman team, but if they did, Madison Via should be on it. First team all-conference? No way. IMHO all the others you mentioned should be first or second team. I personally like McFarland as a first teamer. Best defensive catcher by far, and her hitting was much improved.

Other players who had monster years hitting were Gandara of CSU, Boothe of G-W, Batten of Longwood and McCullum and Smith of Campbell.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Katie Prebble is on the watch list for national POY and will probably finish near the top. She could be FOY, but the national leader in HRs is also a FR.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It may come down to BSC stats for conference games. (but I not know how much conference only stats factor in) Both Bishops outhit Prebble in conference play. Some players padded their stats vs weak out of conference teams. I saw Prebble play 3 games. Both Bishops are better players.

Madison Via was 8th best hitter in BSC play, with a .407 BA
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Prebble from GW will get POY. She's batting .436, 22 HR, 69 RBI. 50 points higher than Amber on BA, twice the HR's and 32 more RBI's. Hard to argue against her. She also has a higher fielding %.
GW is a Christian school. Did LU try to recruit Prebble, or did we pass on her, or did she pass on us? :dontgetit
Ballcoach, what do your sources say? :fineprint
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Her bio states :
High School/Travel: Attended St. Mary's Catholic High School where she played for coach Jim Sewell and Megan Elliot ... Was a four year starter, playing in 91 games ... Totalled a career average of .478 with 150 hits, 125 RBI and 125 runs during her four years at St. Mary's ... Recorded a .594 BA with 38 hits and 7 home runs her senior year ... Led the state of Maryland with 13 doubles and 42 RBI ... Also had a slugging percentafe of 1.156 with a 1.748 OPS, .592 OBP and 16 stolen bases ... Collected an abundance of awards throughout her high school career ... Her senior year she was named the MVP of the soccer and softball team, as well as Female Athlete of the Year ... Tabbed an All-County, All-Conference Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, Washington Post All-Met selection her senior season as she was team captain ... Played in the ASA 18u Gold Nationals ... Chose Gardner-Webb over Akron and Appalachian State.
https://gwusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5894
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Her stats in high school don't indicate any potential for the year she had at G Webb, I don't think she was highly recruited. If she had been, she would have gone somewhere other than G Webb. I heard some "G2" on her recruitment when G Webb played at LU, but I cannot recall what was said.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The All BSC team was just announced:

LU players:

Madison Via OF
Autumn Bishop 1B
Amber Bishop 2B
Julia DiMartino P (also named Pitcher of the Year)

Second Team:

Tori Zavodny OF
Sara Robertson SS
Jacklyn Amador 3B
Chase Cassidy P

Honorable Mention;

Jasmine Click OF

All Academic Team:

Jessica Cheircha

Coach of Year: Dot Richardson
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Her stats in high school don't indicate any potential for the year she had at G Webb,
Totalled a career average of .478 with 150 hits, 125 RBI and 125 runs during her four years at St. Mary's ... Recorded a .594 BA with 38 hits and 7 home runs her senior year ... Led the state of Maryland with 13 doubles and 42 RBI
Ballcoach, I'm no softball expert like you and TF, but shouldn't a .594 BA her senior year have turned some coaches' heads?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There is some validity in saying that the in-conference stats are a better indicator of relative performance level because of the differences in strength of schedule pre-conference. Doesn't matter though. Most of the voters aren't going to dig that deep, and Prebble's overall numbers are really eye-catching.

It is true that both of the Bishops are a few points ahead of Prebble in BSC batting average, but Prebble has as many HR and only 5 fewer RBI than the 2 of them combined, Via is batting .407 in BSC games, but has no HR and 12 RBI. A few points behind her in BA are Smith and McCullum of Campbell, who have 7 and 8 HR and way more RBI and runs scored. Like I said, there are other players who had really good years.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Her stats in high school don't indicate any potential for the year she had at G Webb,
Totalled a career average of .478 with 150 hits, 125 RBI and 125 runs during her four years at St. Mary's ... Recorded a .594 BA with 38 hits and 7 home runs her senior year ... Led the state of Maryland with 13 doubles and 42 RBI
Ballcoach, I'm no softball expert like you and TF, but shouldn't a .594 BA her senior year have turned some coaches' heads?
Maryland is not a "softball hotbed" when it comes to recruiting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
One thing I did not take into consideration is the fact that a lot of the heavy hitters in the BSC are in just a few positions. Outfield seems to be less talented than usual, as indicated by Zavodny making 2nd team with just a few at bats in conference play. I suspect with not a lot of other standout OFs, that was more of a "career achievement" award.
Last edited by olldflame on May 8th, 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
During the last 14 games, Via probably had best stats of anyone in conference. I believe she batted .529 with 12 RBI and 8 SB.
When she was batting .185 earlier in season, I told everyone that she was best .185 hitter in the nation. I was impressed with her swing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:During the last 14 games, Via probably had best stats of anyone in conference. I believe she batted .529 with 12 RBI and 8 SB.
When she was batting .185 earlier in season, I told everyone that she was best .185 hitter in the nation. I was impressed with her swing.
Zero HR, 2 doubles and 1 triple in BSC play.

She is a really good player with speed, and hit for average down the stretch, but you can't say someone with that little power had the best stats.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
She's a singles hitter and short game player. Can slap, bunt or swing away. I believe she led team in BB.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]