The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Sometimes, research is done to prove that original opinion was factual.
I suggest you google the Scientific Method before you start your research.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, I honestly enjoy softball. I get to catch LU a couple times a year usually, and I’ve been umpiring it for 11 seasons. But “hustle” is such an ambiguous and highly subjective term. To claim the softball players hustle more than baseball players is just too far a generalization to let slide, and it’s not provable when it’s so subjective. It’s also relative! The “big-boned” 3B on the softball team may give her all on a sprint, but whose to say that hustle? Maybe the slender CF jogs half-speed to her position and still gets in place before that 3B. What is hustle??

See what I mean? Whose to say what hustle is and is not, and then whose to judge among players and sports?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm filling in for Purple, who would normally post this immediately, if he weren't working today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:I'm filling in for Purple, who would normally post this immediately, if he weren't working today.

[youtube]wj23_nDFSfE[/youtube]
How did I know what that was before clicking the link?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:I'm filling in for Purple, who would normally post this immediately, if he weren't working today.

[youtube]wj23_nDFSfE[/youtube]
How did I know what that was before clicking the link?
Outstanding Cider. I feel well represented
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I started my research project yesterday, reference pace of play i.e. softball vs. baseball "hustle" between innings. I was surprised at my findings. Once I do baseball, I will post results.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Did someone say "hustle"?

Charlie sends along his greetings from a blackjack table somewhere in Florida.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Did someone say "hustle"?

Charlie sends along his greetings from a blackjack table somewhere in Florida.
Is it just me, or does it look like Pete kinda tosses his head back to dump the helmet on purpose in that GIF?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:He was a baseball player so therefore didn't hustle. I'm not impressed ;)
Well no one in baseball Hustles. He just didn’t hustle less
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I conducted some research this past weekend with my stopwatch.

Average time between innings for softball was 1 minute 34 seconds. Average time for baseball was 2 minutes 22 seconds.. (1:28 difference.) As for game itself, main reason I detected that baseball is slower, is the pitching. Takes a baseball pitcher longer to get sign from catcher and then deliver pitch. When there are runners on base, takes even longer.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, I sat right beside you on Saturday and never saw a stopwatch. Did you time the game on Thursday?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I conducted some research this past weekend with my stopwatch.

Average time between innings for softball was 1 minute 34 seconds. Average time for baseball was 2 minutes 22 seconds.. (1:28 difference.) As for game itself, main reason I detected that baseball is slower, is the pitching. Takes a baseball pitcher longer to get sign from catcher and then deliver pitch. When there are runners on base, takes even longer.
That's 0:48 difference not 1:28. First rule of research is check your math.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I conducted some research this past weekend with my stopwatch.

That's 0:48 difference not 1:28. First rule of research is check your math.
Doesn’t take into account field size or where last Out was made.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Most 12-year old boys play baseball on a field the size of collegiate softball fields and it takes about a minute and a half between innings. Is it because they hustle more than college baseball players?

What is the point of this discussion?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After thinking about it a while, I don't believe the size of the field is a factor. In both sports, the pitcher and catcher have a very short trip from the dugout to the mound and home plate. No more than a few feet difference. My observation is that almost always, everyone else is in place and ready to go while the pitcher finishes his/her warmup pitches. After checking the rules, I discovered that while in baseball the pitcher is allowed up to 8 warmup pitches between innings, in softball it is only THREE.

There, my friends, is your difference. :idea:
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:After thinking about it a while, I don't believe the size of the field is a factor. In both sports, the pitcher and catcher have a very short trip from the dugout to the mound and home plate. No more than a few feet difference. My observation is that almost always, everyone else is in place and ready to go while the pitcher finishes his/her warmup pitches. After checking the rules, I discovered that while in baseball the pitcher is allowed up to 8 warmup pitches between innings, in softball it is only THREE.

There, my friends, is your difference. :idea:
But if the baseball pitcher would just hustle more it wouldn't take any longer than the three SB warm-ups :roll:
Does the softball catcher throw down to second on the last warm-up also?

Being the astute spectator that he is, I'm sure ballcoach knew about the pitch count discrepancy on warm-ups. Wonder why he didn't mention it?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: After checking the rules, I discovered that while in baseball the pitcher is allowed up to 8 warmup pitches between innings, in softball it is only THREE.
I've been sitting with ballcoach and TF for 2 years listening to them talk softball, and neither of them has ever mentioned this. I think you have "coached 'em up"--both of them! :clapping
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]