The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have a good question on softball vs baseball:

Why is softball a faster paced game than baseball, considering rules of play are very similar ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a good question on softball vs baseball:

Why is softball a faster paced game than baseball, considering rules of play are very similar ?
You are assuming a lot by stipulating faster pace as a given. I will concede it to a degree, but not to the degree you insinuate. Add 2 innings to softball games (and of course do away with the run rule) and I doubt average length would be as much shorter as you think.

Having said that, a certain amount of time is saved simply because the field is a lot smaller, hence less time changing over between innings.

No leading off on the bases means you don't have the pitcher throwing to 1b over and over any time a fast player gets on.

A lot less scoring and a lot fewer base runners, which makes things go faster (but a lot of people would argue it takes away much of the fun).

Not nearly as many pitching changes. I would say that may be the single biggest difference in pace.

There seems to be less of a "tradition" of arguing with the umpires in softball, which means less waiting around while coaches yell themselves hoarse and turn red in the face. (Again, a lot of people would argue that is one of the most entertaining parts of baseball)

Those are a few things.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Softball is also only 7 innings vs. baseball's 9 innings, so the game ends much quicker.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You talking mid week or weekend. Midweek games are just about unwatchable with all these staff days. Were doing it out of necessity but some teams do it on purpose. 5 or 6 pitching changes per team plus all the walks. Softball theres only 3 really 2 that pitch regularly and if they are walking a ton theyre coming out. Baseball, there are so many young pitchers that just cant repeat their delivery. The draft takes most of the finished products early and they sign so the kids playing in college for the most part are either unrefined or under recruited because they dont have plus velocity. So it takes time for either to work their way up whether its being developed or just getting regular opportunities as an unheralded player.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The faster tempo of play in softball makes it a more interesting sport for me to watch live.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think pace of play is faster in softball because field is smaller and pitchers don't have to hold runners on. Plus softball players hustle more than baseball players.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think pace of play is faster in softball because field is smaller and pitchers don't have to hold runners on. Plus softball players hustle more than baseball players.
Considering I just mentioned the first 2 in my earlier post, I obviously agree. That last statement is something I suppose we should expect from you ballcoach, but even so, it is such a wrong-headed generalization, I have to call you out on it. First of all, because it implies that there are no differences between individuals and teams within the sports. More importantly, the level of "hustle" expended while the ball is actually in play has absolutely no impact on the pace of the game. If a player (either sport) gets thrown out because they "dog it" that does nothing to make the game slower. If every player emulated Pete Rose and sprinted to first on a walk instead of jogging, you have saved maybe 10 seconds over the course of a game.

I will concede the possibility that you are less likely to see a softball player not run hard to first on a ground ball. There is a reason for that. Because of the shorter distance to first, the size and weight of the ball and the lower level of athleticism and arm strength of the infielders, infield hits (and errors) are much more common in softball, and there are a lot more close outs at first as well. I'm not saying baseball players should not always run hard to first on even the most routine ground ball, but in almost every case it will only mean they are out by 20 feet instead of 30. That is not the case in softball, and that is one of the best things about the game. It is absolutely essential to go all out on every ground ball, because it is way more likely to mean the difference between a hit and an out.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Take a stop watch to a softball game and a baseball game. Time things after 3rd out is made, and see which is ready to resume play the quickest.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Take a stop watch to a softball game and a baseball game. Time things after 3rd out is made, and see which is ready to resume play the quickest.
Does that time take into account the further players need to run to get both on and off the field?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Take a stop watch to a softball game and a baseball game. Time things after 3rd out is made, and see which is ready to resume play the quickest.
That is partly because of the size of the field. I don't know if there is a difference in the number of warmup pitches taken, which is always what you are actually waiting for before the next batter can step into the box. I really don't see "hustle" being a factor.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Distance covered has a little to do with it, but not much. Softball players simply are ready to go, faster than baseball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Distance covered has a little to do with it, but not much. Softball players simply are ready to go, faster than baseball.
That is beyond subjective, but it still does not account for the one thing that takes the longest between innings for either sport, which is the warm-up pitches. The next batter up is virtually always in the on deck circle waiting and steps into the batter's box as soon as the pitcher completes his/her warmups. I realize that by saying that softball players are "ready to go" and "hustle" more, your intention is to compliment them, but the reality is, if true, it would be more a criticism of baseball players. I don't think there is a significant difference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I will conduct research at my next 2 games, using stop watch.
What will be the parameters of your research? Which baseball games will you be comparing them to?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, if you are timing a baseball game, you might as welll use a sun dial. :boring
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
GENIUS idea. So you will time each inning and then get an average minutes per inning to compare versus softball innings?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes, but not entire game. Maybe 3 or 4 innings.

I will also get TF's input on softball vs baseball hustle.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Yes, but not entire game. Maybe 3 or 4 innings.

I will also get TF's input on softball vs baseball hustle.
That’s not an accurate sample size with the amount of variables involved. Adding in your ‘Sources’ further pollutes any conclusion
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Another issue is the bias of the experimenter - you're not supposed to decide the result before the study takes place. Add that to a sample size of n=1 and this will do nothing but convince ballcoach that he is right and leave the rest of us where we are now. You need a sample size in the hundreds with mulitple teams, pitchers, locations, weather conditions, etc. And how do you propose to quantify hustle?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Another issue is the bias of the experimenter - you're not supposed to decide the result before the study takes place. Add that to a sample size of n=1 and this will do nothing but convince ballcoach that he is right and leave the rest of us where we are now. You need a sample size in the hundreds with mulitple teams, pitchers, locations, weather conditions, etc. And how do you propose to quantify hustle?
He will use his other ‘Sources’
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I believe you are an upstanding man, but the research won’t be done with 100% integrity when you’ve already made your personal decision known.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]