The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hoos come to LU Tuesday for a DH. UVA has 12-37 record. Pitching has been their downfall. They have a team ERA of. 6.45, having allowed a lot of runs, hits and walks. Only bright spots are 3 of their hitters have some good home run totals. (11, 10 and 9).

LU actually has won more ACC games than UVA. LU 4 wins, UVA 3 wins.

A sweep will give LU 6 ACC wins for the season vs 1 loss.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:LU actually has won more ACC games than UVA. LU 4 wins, UVA 3 wins.
I hope it's cold enough to wear my UVa hoodie. Study
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Is ACC softball very good? I always thought SEC was king. (Queen?)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Is ACC softball very good? I always thought SEC was king. (Queen?)
SEC is pretty clearly the best softball conference from top to bottom, although the Pac-10 and Big 12 both have some powerhouse teams. The ACC is probably the worst of the P5 conferences, and Wake, Clemson and Miami do not even have a softball team. Duke just added it this year. Hard to believe a school with an FBS football team could be Title IX compliant without softball.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ACC softball is basically FSU and then everyone else. SEC is in a league of their own. PAC 10 probably second best. Big 10 is over rated in softball, same as football.

Clemson is adding softball, they have hired a coach and he is recruiting. I can't remember if they start in 2019 or later. But I want to think its later.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:ACC softball is basically FSU and then everyone else. SEC is in a league of their own. PAC 10 probably second best. Big 10 is over rated in softball, same as football.

Clemson is adding softball, they have hired a coach and he is recruiting. I can't remember if they start in 2019 or later. But I want to think its later.
The Big 10 is not on a par with the top 3, but Michigan and a couple of other programs have historically been pretty successful. I think they are as good or better than the ACC.

All you have to do is look at last year's CWS to see the best conferences.

SEC ........8 teams
Big 12..... 4 teams
Pac-10.... 4 teams

That's all 16

Oklahoma won the championship, which would seem to contradict your "league of their own" statement regarding the SEC. No argument that they are the best top to bottom.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:ACC softball is basically FSU and then everyone else. SEC is in a league of their own. PAC 10 probably second best. Big 10 is over rated in softball, same as football.

The Big 10 is not on a par with the top 3, but Michigan and a couple of other programs have historically been pretty successful. I think they are as good or better than the ACC.

All you have to do is look at last year's CWS to see the best conferences.

SEC ........8 teams
Big 12..... 4 teams
Pac-10.... 4 teams

That's all 16

Oklahoma won the championship, which would seem to contradict your "league of their own" statement regarding the SEC. No argument that they are the best top to bottom.
Then of course there is Longwood
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Only 8 teams are in World Series.
My mistake, but that was the top 16. 3 of 8 advanced from the SEC. 3 of 4 from the Pac 10 and 2 of 4 from the Big 12, including the champions. The top teams from all 3 conferences were pretty equal, but the SEC is deeper.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have always thought Oklahoma has too much of home field advantage when they make it to World Series. Granted it isn't actually their home field, but its close enough to give Okies an advantage that other teams do not have.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have always thought Oklahoma has too much of home field advantage when they make it to World Series. Granted it isn't actually their home field, but its close enough to give Okies an advantage that other teams do not have.

I think you are reaching on that, but assuming it were true; what do you suggest? Disqualify them? Move the CWS to Outer Mongolia, where no one will have an "advantage"?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have never liked the venue for world series, but having it in OK City is better than having it on west coast.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if Disney could host it? Their Sport complex is Amazing
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Disney would not be an option. It's too expensive in that area. Hotel rooms rob you without a gun. You have to pay tp park, then walk about a mile. Between the Disney love of money and NCAA love of money, there would be conflicts there. Heck LU would be a better venue for WCWS, than most places.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Disney would not be an option. It's too expensive in that area. Hotel rooms rob you without a gun. You have to pay tp park, then walk about a mile. Between the Disney love of money and NCAA love of money, there would be conflicts there. Heck LU would be a better venue for WCWS, than most places.
So you’re saying there are plenty of hotels and plenty of parking. You don’t have to stay at Disney. Plus, you agree it would be a cash bonanza. Ergo it would be a great place
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
Disney doesn’t have the seating capacity required. Also, OKC is the USA Softball and HoF facility.

There isn’t a huge advantage. It’s not like football that draws a bunch of students. Especially since most colleges semester has ended by the CWS.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hotels near Disney and in most of Florida jack prices up on Thursday thru Sunday. Hampton Inn in Clermont charges 250 a night on weekends.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Hotels near Disney and in most of Florida jack prices up on Thursday thru Sunday. Hampton Inn in Clermont charges 250 a night on weekends.
Did you get those prices from your ‘Sources’?

May 18-20. Hampton Inn $208 (Hilton.com) Clermont

Personally I prefer Embassy Suites over Hampton Inn. The one on International Drive will run you $132 for the same time period. But if you are Budget conscious and really looking for the lowest rate than the Hampton on International Dr is $74
Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs Area is a reasonable $149
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Eighty wrote:Disney doesn’t have the seating capacity required. Also, OKC is the USA Softball and HoF facility.

There isn’t a huge advantage. It’s not like football that draws a bunch of students. Especially since most colleges semester has ended by the CWS.
I didn’t know if they could put in temporary seating for an event like that. Those people are wizards so who knows :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Those prices came from girl at front desk of hotel. Actually I made reservation there, but later canceled after finding something cheaper.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Front desk never quotes you the best price. There’s this things called the Internets...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
And of course having the WCWS in Orlando would not be the least bit of an advantage for UF or FSU.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Disney would not be an option. It's too expensive in that area. Hotel rooms rob you without a gun. You have to pay tp park, then walk about a mile. Between the Disney love of money and NCAA love of money, there would be conflicts there. Heck LU would be a better venue for WCWS, than most places.
I had a feeling that was where you were going.
But what about the home field advantage?
Never mind. We would actually have to beat Longwood and win the BSC first.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Okies have too much of an advantage in Ok City, that's all I was saying.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]