The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
Big series coming up. CSU is currently 25-20. They have two players with double digit home runs. Their #1 pitcher has an ERA of 3.93 and has given up 103 hits in 103 innings. Desperately need a sweep to keep ahead of Longwood for the #1 seed. As a result of last weekend, Longwood holds the tie-breaker if we end up with identical conference records.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Don't we play Radford before CSU. I believe we go to Raford Friday & Saturday, this week. We cannot afford another loss in BSC play.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: Their #1 pitcher has an ERA of 3.93 and has given up 103 hits in 103 innings.
That's high for softball, right? :dontgetit
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Dalegarz1 wrote: Their #1 pitcher has an ERA of 3.93 and has given up 103 hits in 103 innings.
That's high for softball, right? :dontgetit
It's high for a #1 pitcher.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Don't we play Radford before CSU. I believe we go to Raford Friday & Saturday, this week. We cannot afford another loss in BSC play.
Can't get anything past ballcoach where softball is concerned. :wink: Radford series this weekend. A bit overstated IMHO that we can't afford to lose another BSC game. Longwood is tough, but they have lost 3 already and could lose another one or 2 just as well as we could. Also, having the 1 or 2 seed probably won't make much difference, since it will likely be Liberty and Longwood in the final either way.
By Dalegarz1
My mistake-Radford this week. I was looking ahead a week because I'm traveling down from NJ to see the CSU series. Please Purple, no New Jersey jokes!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
CSU brings a 25-24 record to town this weekend, on a 6 game losing streak. (they were swept by Campbell last weekend).

Some interesting stats for CSU:

53 home runs
Top 2 pitchers have ERA over 4.00
174 in RPI
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We beat the Brides of Chucky 5-0. Julia with the 4 hitter for her 20th win and 7th shutout. Amber Bishop with a solo home run and McFarland with a 2 run blast.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We not hit well, only 5 hits, but 2 of them left the park. Amber Bishop had solo,shot and Katlin McFarland had 2 run blast off scoreboard. DiMartino was dominant. At least 2 of the hits allowed should have been caught.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: Katlin McFarland had 2 run blast off scoreboard.
I haven't been watching softball for as long as ballcoach and TF, but McFarland's dinger was the longest homerun I've ever seen hit by a softball player: she hit it to dead center, and it banged halfway up our massive scoreboard. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote: Katlin McFarland had 2 run blast off scoreboard.
I haven't been watching softball for as long as ballcoach and TF, but McFarland's dinger was the longest homerun I've ever seen hit by a softball player: she hit it to dead center, and it banged halfway up our massive scoreboard. :shock:
She hit a line drive homer in the tournament last year that looked like it was still on the rise when it left the park. She always had the power, but contact has been an issue. Getting better, and we definitely need her to produce with this lineup.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
She hit a shot to right field last night, that may have been hit harder than her home run, but RF caught it. Also picked a runner off 1B.

UCLA beat #1 Washington last night. That should aid our RPI, since we played UCLA. I hope UCLA sweeps Huskies.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:She hit a shot to right field last night, that may have been hit harder than her home run, but RF caught it. Also picked a runner off 1B.

UCLA beat #1 Washington last night. That should aid our RPI, since we played UCLA. I hope UCLA sweeps Huskies.
It would have helped our RPI a LOT if we had BEATEN UCLA. We came close, but the game is softball, not horseshoes or hand grenades. As it is, we may get a minimal boost.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes, if we had beat them, I would be making plans for NCAA regionals now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Game 2, LU wins 5-2. Amber Bishop solo HR. Engler winning pitcher. DiMartino save.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU brings out the brooms and sweeps CSU, 8-2. DiMartino picks up win in relief. Hoffman, Via and Click had 2 hits each. Hoffman, Via and Amador had triples. Taylor had 2 hits.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:LU brings out the brooms and sweeps CSU, 8-2. DiMartino picks up win in relief. Hoffman, Via and Click had 2 hits each. Hoffman, Via and Amador had triples.
And this just in:

Winthrop 5
Longwood 3

Gay got the loss. They have one more to play, I guess tomorrow

We once again have our destiny in our own hands regarding the #1 seed. I personally don't see much practical difference between 1 and 2 come tourney time, but it would be nice to go in as the top seed.

After further thought, Presby is so awful, maybe it would be a slight advantage to have them in the first round.
Last edited by olldflame on April 21st, 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Longwood loses to Winthrop 5-3. LU all alone in first place.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Longwood beat Winthrop 2-1 in game 2 of series earlier today, and 4-3 last night.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And the TF/Ballcoach "old man's club" had grown to 8 members by the second game of the doubleheader. :oldhag :oldhag
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: After further thought, Presby is so awful, maybe it would be a slight advantage to have them in the first round.
Presby won’t make the tournament and as of now CSU is out.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The #1 seed will play winner of 4/5 game. Regardless of where we finish, it would be nice for Longwood to lose their first game and get in loser's bracket.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]