The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ladies lead 9-2 in the 7th...so as long as we don't pull a UNCA in the bottom half, who should get the ball tomorrow?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The "as necessary" game is now officially necessary. Ladies win 9-3 behin a great 5 innings of relief from Page Cassidy, and beat a pitcher in Gay who had completely baffled us when we faced her earlier.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Ladies lead 9-2 in the 7th...so as long as we don't pull a UNCA in the bottom half, who should get the ball tomorrow?
I can't imagine it will not be DiMartino.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Lady Flames win 9-3. Tomorrow is winner take all game...its Chase btw oldflame...Paige is the pitching coach
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Engler is now the only one to not make any appearances this weekend so she will be available. Marlowe struggled a bit going 51 pitches allowing a home run and walking four...and despite doing all the work prior to today, you have to think DiMartino and Friesen will be available even if neither starts thanks to Marlowe and Cassady getting the job done today
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:As an aside the Ole Miss players are not unattractive
Shouldn't you have put that in the football thread?
:D
It's why I put it here so you'd know I WASNT talking about the football players 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'm no softball guru, but I'd start Engler, but keep her on a pretty short leash. Have Marlowe, DiMartino, and Friesen ready to go to the pen to relieve.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think it be DiMartino.

I been telling everyone for a month that we would need a big game from Cassidy. We got it tonight. I watched her warm up in bullpen. I could tell she was on.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I noticed Friesen only faced one batter in the start against Winthrop, a walk. Is there a health reason for that or was it the fact that she was just off and that she had pitched earlier in the day?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Engler is now the only one to not make any appearances this weekend so she will be available. Marlowe struggled a bit going 51 pitches allowing a home run and walking four...and despite doing all the work prior to today, you have to think DiMartino and Friesen will be available even if neither starts thanks to Marlowe and Cassady getting the job done today
I suspect there is a reason Engler has not pitched yet. Also, Friesen has pitched less than 4 innings in the tourney and was not very effective. I believe there may be an issue there as well. Chase threw 90 pitches last night, which is not a ton in softball. I expect Julia to start, with Cassady and Marlowe in the pen.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'm no softball guru, but I'd start Engler, but keep her on a pretty short leash. Have Marlowe, DiMartino, and Friesen ready to go to the pen to relieve.
I'm really glad that decision is not up to you. Talk about faulty reasoning. You want to start a pitcher in the most important game of the year because she hasn't pitched yet? :banghead Has it occurred to you there is probably a reason for that?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Certainly. Thing is, Marlowe and Cassady both had minimal action leading up to yesterday and were very serviceable, although the former did issue four walks in the second game. Maybe Engler isn't throwing well and DR doesn't want to risk getting down early...but it looks like she gave her the ball. My thought is because she is fresh AND Longwood hasn't seen her yet so the lack of familiarity could work in our favor
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, that didn't work. 4-1 Longwood. Engler loaded the bases with 1 out. Chase comes in and commits a throwing error to score 2 runs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Top of the 6th and still 4-1 Longwood. Chase is hanging in there, but the decision to start Engler is totally baffling. Win or lose, I think Dot has some splainin to do. 2 all conference pitchers have not seen the mound in the finals, while we start the winner-takes-all game with the #5 pitcher on a 5 pitcher staff, and a FR at that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Very disappointing loss. .you don't win championships starting #4 or #5 pitcher in championship game. DiMartino or Cassidy should have started. But we did not hit today. There's no doubt in my mind we lost to the worst of 64 teams that will be in NCAA tournament.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My guess is she tried to play the unfamiliarity card again and this time it backfired. Longwood had not seen Cassady, Marlowe or Engler all year but were very familiar with DiMartino and Friesen because they were the only pitchers we threw in the regular season series and in the first meeting in the tournament.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In college softball you ride your #1 and2 pitcher. We were fortunate to have 5 pitchers, but I not happy with rotation most all season.

It bit us in the end.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on May 14th, 2017, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My guess is she tried to play the unfamiliarity card again and this time it backfired. Longwood had not seen Cassady, Marlowe or Engler all year but were very familiar with DiMartino and Friesen because they were the only pitchers we threw in the regular season series and in the first meeting in the tournament.

. . . and DiMartino and Friesen were hit pretty hard by a weak hitting Longwood team. Engler was a little bit of a gamble but the two unearned runs with bases loaded sealed our fate. We were beat by the preseason pitcher of the year. We still need an ace, or two to be top 50 team.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
DiMartino is a very good pitcher all things considered. No, she isn't a Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman or Monica Abbott, but she can be a #1 starter. Friesen came on for us in her last go-round but was an average to slightly below average pitcher at best. We do add a lefty with this signing class which has the potential to help as long as we bring everyone else back on the staff with three juniors leading the way.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
DiMartino seemed to not be as effective late in season as she was in middle. When I get time I am going to break down each of her starts. I have an idea as to what happened.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I made the trip to Farmville today mainly as an excuse to eat at Fishin' Pig on Mother's Day. I saw Ballcoach and McCracken there, and it was a beautiful day for a baseball game. Just wish we could have pulled out the win.
Last edited by Cider Jim on May 14th, 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I heard Ole Miss won SEC softball tournament. One pitcher pitched every game for Ole Miss. That's every pitch, every inning.

4 games, 480 pitches. In 3 days, I believe.
By Dalegarz1
The manner in which we lost was very disappointing. From the players perspective, some shoddy defense led to Longwood's runs. It started with Amador's misplay in left field. Although scored a double, it was clearly a ball she should have caught and was an error in my book. Add to that the errant bases loaded throw to home by Cassidy and we got what we deserved. Unfortunately we did not hit very well although credit should be given to their pitcher. From a coach's perspective the pitching decision was baffling. You don't pick the biggest game of the year to throw your number 5 pitcher because the opponent hasn't seen her. She's number 5 for a reason. You ride your horse who has the best stuff and most experience. There is definitely some explaining to do by DR. Although we've made significant progress in the win/loss category, the program continues to underperform as compared to the expectations set by their own coaching staff.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]