The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't have a vote, but I think the following LU players should be on it:

Amber Bishop (player of the year)
Tori Zavodny
Sarah Robertson
Alexia Taylor
Jasmine Click
Julia DiMartino (pitcher of the year)
Kensie Freisen
Dot Richardson (Coach of the Year)

Autumn Bishop probably missed too many games to be included, but she's worthy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Amber will be Player of the year. Amber Shisler of Campbell that is. She leads everyone in BA, HR and runs scored . She has drawn almost twice as many walks as anyone else and her OB% and slugging % are both over 100 points higher than the next highest.

Our Amber (Bishop) should win Freshman of the Year in a cakewalk, and also 1st team all-conference. I believe DiMartino is also a clear choice for Pitcher of the year. Zavotney is 1st team all-conference for sure, and Taylor and Robertson should be in the running. I see Click and Autumn B as second team all-conference, even with all the games Autumn missed.
Last edited by olldflame on April 27th, 2017, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Schisler probably will be PoY given the season long body of work...although she did go only 3-9 with 1 BB in the series against Liberty while Bishop went 6-12 with 3 runs and 6 RBI
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Coach of the Year is a tough call. Dot is clearly not the best game manager in the league, but she did recruit the most talented squad, and they are regular season champions. I doubt she will win it, because it almost always goes to the coach who is perceived as doing "more with less" thus Dot's name recognition and Liberty's facilities will actually work against her. My guess is it will go to Campbell's coach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Schisler probably will be PoY given the season long body of work...although she did go only 3-9 with 1 BB in the series against Liberty while Bishop went 6-12 with 3 runs and 6 RBI
Since the award is for the entire season and not one 3 game series, I agree. :roll:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's my point oldflame. A lot of folks go on and on about how so and so did when the teams played or what have you and how because such and such did better they should get the nod, but really that isn't how it should work.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:That's my point oldflame. A lot of folks go on and on about how so and so did when the teams played or what have you and how because such and such did better they should get the nod, but really that isn't how it should work.
Wrong. Who are all these "folks" you are talking about? Anyone who is into sports enough that they would actually give a rip who wins awards for Big South softball is going to know that who did better when the 2 players teams competed against each other would only be a factor if the production for the whole season was a complete push, and even then I'm not so sure it would be valid. Those 2 Ambers did not bat against each other in those 3 games. They batted against the other teams pitchers, and our pitching is better than Campbell's.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I don't disagree. I think it's more of an issue in something like basketball where they have more of a direct matchup.
By Dalegarz1
I didn't want to start another thread so i'm posing the question on this one. Why the big time gap between end of conference play and the conference tournament? There are those who would argue that it will give us time to get healthy (true for every team) but I can tell you from experience that it is tough to hold that many practices in a row at this stage in the season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:I didn't want to start another thread so i'm posing the question on this one. Why the big time gap between end of conference play and the conference tournament? There are those who would argue that it will give us time to get healthy (true for every team) but I can tell you from experience that it is tough to hold that many practices in a row at this stage in the season.
I have no answer to the why, but I certainly agree it is a long time to try to stay sharp without having any games, and I assume trying to schedule non-conference opponents this time of year is a lost cause. As far as getting healthy is concerned, who do we have hurt? Seems like Emily Sweat has not played in a while.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hoffman and Reynolds are not at 100 percent .

Break in schedule is a combination of BSC scheduling and exams. But we should have found a non conference game about halfway thru the break. Too long of layoff. Especially for hitters. If my memory is correct, last year we had a 10 day break and went to BSC tournament, and "left the bats in Lynchburg". We did not hit good at all. This year we have a 14 day layoff. The team has intra-squad games, but they are not as productive as real games. Hopefully we will take the bats to Farmville.

Longwood beat Radford 1-0 yesterday. I believe McCarthy had a perfect game going into the 7th inning.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Hoffman and Reynolds are not at 100 percent .

Break in schedule is a combination of BSC scheduling and exams. But we should have found a non conference game about halfway thru the break. Too long of layoff. Especially for hitters. If my memory is correct, last year we had a 10 day break and went to BSC tournament, and "left the bats in Lynchburg". We did not hit good at all. This year we have a 14 day layoff. The team has intra-squad games, but they are not as productive as real games. Hopefully we will take the bats to Farmville.

Longwood beat Radford 1-0 yesterday. I believe McCarthy had a perfect game going into the 7th inning.
Teams from other conferences are fighting for seeds right now. Tough sell to get them to play us.

Emily Sweat has started 39 games this year and is batting .319. There has to be a reason she has not played in 2 weeks.

With McCarthy and Gay now both on a roll, Longwood is going to be tough to beat in the tourney. If they win it, they would go to the NCAAs with about a .500 record on the year. That would be a shame. Julia needs to pitch like an ace and we need to do a better job defensively and with the bats than we have the last several games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Sweat hurt her knee at G-Webb. ACL I think.
That explains a lot as to why we have struggled to get a better bat into the bottom of the lineup. Tough loss, and obviously the layoff will not help in this case.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Also, Kayla Harris has replaced Diedre See at 1B for the last week or so. Diedre was not hitting great (.250) but Harris has been AWFUL (.086). Gotta believe there is something up there as well. If Autumn can't catch, we are stuck with one weak bat in McFarland, but I can't imagine we don't have anyone better than Harris to play 1b.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
First Team: Zavodny, Am. Bishop, Au. Bishop, DiMartino

2nd Team: Click, Robertson, Taylor, Freisen

All Freshmen Team:; Bishop, Bishop, Sweat, Hoffman

Pitcher of Year: DiMartino

Coach of Year: Richardson
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:First Team: Zavodny, Am. Bishop, Au. Bishop, DiMartino

2nd Team: Click, Robertson, Taylor, Freisen

All Freshmen Team:; Bishop, Bishop, Sweat, Hoffman

Pitcher of Year: DiMartino

Coach of Year: Richardson
Amber Bishop was also Freshman of the Year and Kenzie Freisen was Scholar-athlete of the year.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 96&TeamID=

The surprise for me was Dot winning Coach of the year, but I do believe she deserved it.

For most of this season, only one player in our starting lineup was not 1st or 2nd team or All- Freshman
What makes this all the more exciting is that Freisen is the only SR in the bunch. :pbjtime
Last edited by olldflame on May 10th, 2017, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]