The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Schedule hasn't been released yet , but my inside sources tell me:

February 9-11 Clermont, FL Dot Richardson Classic
February 17-19 @ UCLA Tournament
February 23-25 Disney Complex in Orlando

looks as if I will drive to Florida twice within 3 weeks.
By CarolinaBlue
ballcoach15 the February tournaments you listed are correct except for the California tournament. That tournament is the Mary Nutter Classic which UCLA runs. LU will play UCLA and Oregon for sure. The other 3 games are TBA.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hope we can beat UCLA and Oregon. I would love to go to the Mary Nutter Classic, but I do not want to fight the LA traffic. A softball parent invited me out there, but I had to decline.
By Dalegarz1
Interesting interview with DR concerning the progress of the team this Fall. She might be the single most example of an optimistic coach I have encountered. Although, to her credit, she was very open about the disappointment of the 2016 season. Some interesting experimenting going on-Megan Robinson at third (major upgrade) and trying out Amador in the infield. That might be a stretch since her background is playing outfield. Looking forward to UVA and VT later this Fall. Those games will be a nice barometer.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The games Sunday in Troutville may show a lot, + and -. Certainly the infield will be interesting. Robertson looked good at 3B a couple weeks ago. Amador looked good at SS, but she had very few chances. Not enough to give her a grade.
By Dalegarz1
There are a lot of little nuances playing shortstop that go beyond just fielding and throwing. It concerns me that we don't have someone who has a lot of experience there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think we have a one or two, who played SS in high school/travel ball, but they are not D1 SS material.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The games Sunday in Troutville may show a lot, + and -. Certainly the infield will be interesting. Robertson looked good at 3B a couple weeks ago. Amador looked good at SS, but she had very few chances. Not enough to give her a grade.
The concerns about her lack of experience at the position are justified, but Amador is our most athletically gifted player, and that's a good thing to have at SS
By Dalegarz1
Amador is an excellent athlete so the move to shortstop may work out-time will tell. On the flip side, taking her out of the outfield may hurt us unless some newcomers are able to take over. Outfield play last Spring was below average.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Outfield defense will be improved. That's a given if the 3 start that I think will start.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
At Troutville today LU beat Richard Bland JC 15-0 and lost to VT 9-0. I saw some good things and some not so good.
By Dalegarz1
Not a good result against VT! Please elaborate Ballcoach about the "not so good things".
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I do not want to be too negative, since it's just "fall softball".

Did not swing bats well vs Virginia Tech. Only had 3 hits as I recall. One of Bishop twins had 2 hits. She looks good at the plate.
Hit too many routine ground balls. Of the 21 outs, probably 15 were assists by VT infielders.
Gave up 3 home runs to VT. (Umpire had small strike zone)
Infield had couple mental errors on covering bases.

On positive note, Chase Cassidy struck out the side in only inning she pitched, only threw about 10 or 11 pitches if I recall correctly.
Everyone on staff pitched, and I believe all position players saw action in VT game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU plays NCAA Runner-Up Auburn on March 2 and March 3, in the AU tournament. Texas State and Savannah State are also in tournament.
By Dalegarz1
looking forward to my trip down from NJ at the end of this month and will definitely catch the UVA game on the 28th. Fall ball or not, a 9-0 loss to VT is not acceptable. It would be nice to enter winter conditioning with a win against UVA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Any excuse to get out of Jersey....
By Dalegarz1
If our football, MBB and SB don't perform as expected in the immediate future-I'll be out of excuses!
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
Mary Nutter - Some information:
1. $25 a day or $60 pass for the weekend. (Congrats to Mary on having higher prices than Walt)
2. $10 a day for your car. There are NO in and out privileges.
3. Schedule:
Friday: Liberty vs LMU; Liberty vs UC Davis
Saturday: Liberty vs Oregon; Liberty vs St. Marys
Sunday: Liberty vs Cal Poly; Liberty vs UCLA
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is rather high for college softball. I bet concessions are high also. I had planned to go to Clermont and Disney, but since we are at Auburn first weekend in march, I will skip Disney and go to AU.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have a friend who I think is a member of the "Rocky Top" Club or whatever their booster club is called. I will contact him and see if he can get softball tickets.

I hear TN softball fans are the worst fans in any NCAA sport. A father of a VT player told me that.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a friend who I think is a member of the "Rocky Top" Club or whatever their booster club is called. I will contact him and see if he can get softball tickets.

I hear TN softball fans are the worst fans in any NCAA sport. A father of a VT player told me that.
Yeah, I'm sure those 1,500 fans are the worst in the nation in any sport.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Tennessee football fans are the nicest ones I've ever met. I was there when Marshall played them years ago in Knoxville.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: