The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We lose to Radford 2-1. Only had 6 hits, left 8 runners on base. I believe the long layoff we had before tournament hurt us at the plate. No reason why Radford pitcher can hold us to one run. I saw that girl pitch in Rock Hill, she is an average pitcher at best.
Hopefully next season someone will step up in the middle of the order and "rattle the fences" and knock in a lot of runs.
Cassady pitched a good game, well enough to win , with some run support.

I am already looking forward to the fall season.

I hope Coastal wins tournament now that we are out.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Ugh. This is prving to be the most forgettable year of LU athletics in a very long time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I agree. We lose to teams that do not belong on the field with us in every sport.
By oldjock
Registration Days Posts
At some point you have to look at the coaches decisions and attitude of them. Just because Dot was a great player doesn't make her a coach at the div 1 level. Having great facilities and recognizable names of coaches doesn't translate into wins.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I agree. We lose to teams that do not belong on the field with us in every sport.
Not Track and Cross Country ;)
By oldjock
Registration Days Posts
LU parents sound like entitled brats complaining about the Big South facilities, media coverage, lighting etc but we still get our butts kicked on the field. Bring in a college coach, someone who will work with the girls and not talk behind their backs and blame everything on them. Not a "ME" person.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Or Quiz Bowl, the "varsity sport of the mind." Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There have been some disappointments, but we have won 3 championships this Spring, with golf on their way to the NCAA regional as well as the wins for both T&F squads.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldjock wrote:LU parents sound like entitled brats complaining about the Big South facilities, media coverage, lighting etc but we still get our butts kicked on the field. Bring in a college coach, someone who will work with the girls and not talk behind their backs and blame everything on them. Not a "ME" person.
I wish everyone on this board could see the Winthrop field. Very small seating to start with. Then they put 2 tents up in the bleachers, along with a 2X4 frame "filming stand" right behind home plate in center of bleachers. Both dugouts are built blocking 3rd base and first base from being viewed from the bleachers.
The local paper in Rock Hill did not cover the tournament. I wonder did BSC do a Site Visit prior to selecting Winthrop to host ?
The lights were terrible. Too far from field, thus angle of lights was bad. Concession stand was worst than some high school ones.
All in all, a terrible venue for a D1 conference tournament, regardless of how LU played.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
oldjock wrote:At some point you have to look at the coaches decisions and attitude of them. Just because Dot was a great player doesn't make her a coach at the div 1 level. Having great facilities and recognizable names of coaches doesn't translate into wins.
Wins? We had 16 of them vs 8 losses in conference during the regular season and had the 3rd seed with a team dominated by FR and SO. That is the best we have done in several years. Tough loss today.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hope that's in the very near future.

I doubt if it will happen, but I hope the 2017 BSC Tournament is at LU, but I would bet the farm that BSC will pick some 2nd rate facility again.

I think the NCAA would put a softball tournament at LU before the BSC would.
By Dalegarz1
Very disappointed in our performance as I'm sure the players and coaches are. Next year is a pivotal one for the direction of this program and coaching staff. Run production was a real weakness. DR is one of the most celebrated players this country has ever had-lets see if she can approach that level with her coaching. As of yet...
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:Very disappointed in our performance as I'm sure the players and coaches are. Next year is a pivotal one for the direction of this program and coaching staff. Run production was a real weakness. DR is one of the most celebrated players this country has ever had-lets see if she can approach that level with her coaching. As of yet...
There was improvement in pitching, fielding was slightly improved but our bats were subpar most of the year with little to no power. We might have been last in the BSC in HRs. EX: Zavodny hit 50 points lower than last year and Taylor 30 points lower - they are usually our best offensive options.
By Dalegarz1
While those two hitters definitely had off years, I got the distinct impression from DR that 3 incoming freshmen would be added to the 6 freshmen this year and they would form the nucleus of next years team. In her words, "that would give us 9 world series caliber players". I was hoping softball could salvage a disappointing year for an avid LU fan. I follow football, men and women's hoops, baseball and softball closely. I have guarded optimism about the future of men's hoops but the other 4 have me concerned.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I follow softball more than the other sports. I saw 24 games this past season. I think the key for next season is staying healthy. We had several injuries this season that had a big effect on team. Plus a "bug" struck the team heading into the tournament. It wasn't public knowledge, but 2 key players were ill going into the tournament.
Losing Madison Kotchey resulted in lineup missing a big HR and RBI bat.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:While those two hitters definitely had off years, I got the distinct impression from DR that 3 incoming freshmen would be added to the 6 freshmen this year and they would form the nucleus of next years team. In her words, "that would give us 9 world series caliber players".
Every coach is excited about their next class of recruits.. 9 WCWS players, you have to love her the optimism :D If I recall correctly, after last season there was speculation on this board that all the incoming freshman would play and none of the returners would see the field because the freshman were future pro players... Let's wait and see if the incoming freshman make it past bridge and the conditioning test. :lol:

There are 3 spots being vacated by Seniors, 3B, SS, and 1B. Let's just hope in this Class of 2016 there is someone that is a natural SS.

Assuming a few things happen, we will be a better team next year:
1. Key players come back to the program AND come back healthy. Don't assume everyone is coming back.
2. The outgoing freshman will get past the "it's all about me" and learn it's all about the team.
3. The incoming freshman transition into the team and are open to upperclassmen leadership, and check their ego at the door.
4. There is an incoming player that is real slapper with real speed that can put bat to ball like #33/#16 of CCU.
5. There is an incoming player that is a natural SS.

Ballcoach.. it's ok to say other teams have good players. :D Longwood has 2 pitchers that one could argue are at the top in the conference (see how they did at LSU and Auburn). Radford and CCU have very good pitchers, which is why they are still playing. It's easy to say "we aren't hitting". We aren't hitting because the other teams have done their homework and putting the ball in spots that they know that kid can't hit. The outgoing freshman will learn that next year now that the teams have video of them.

Closing on a good note, the errors were non-existent during the tournament, which is a huge positive going into next year.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I follow softball more than the other sports. I saw 24 games this past season. I think the key for next season is staying healthy. We had several injuries this season that had a big effect on team. Plus a "bug" struck the team heading into the tournament. It wasn't public knowledge, but 2 key players were ill going into the tournament.
Losing Madison Kotchey resulted in lineup missing a big HR and RBI bat.
True, True and True.. good intel on the "bug" coach! :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looking ahead, here is a link to the announcement of the 5 recruits we signed last Fall:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 87&TeamID=

One Inf, one OF/C and 3 OF. No pitchers.

It looks like we will have 3 P on the roster next year; DiMartino, Cassidy and Marlowe. All were FR this year. DiMartino is super solid. Cassidy is talented as indicated by her strikeout totals, but inconsistent, especially with her control. Marlowe was very effective in only 10 innings over 3 appearences, but obviously has a health issue. I assume she will qualify for a medical redshirt.

With Zavodny and Amader being probably our best players, that really only leaves 1 opening in the OF for those 4 recruits. Hopefully at least one of them will bring some HR power.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
It looks like 3 of the 5 incoming are left handed bats which is sorely needed and the twins seem to have some pop in their bat. The BSC will be very competitive next year as well as their is some great pitchers and hitters throughout the league.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Is Taylor Mabry not on the team anymore? Though she did not make an appearance, she is also a pitcher
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good observation chippy on the LH hitters. We need some LH power and a slapper in 1 or 2 spot in batting order.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:While those two hitters definitely had off years
Scouting reports will do this. Often referred to as the sophomore slump. Also, what you don't see is they both were playing through some health issues at times during the season. Their avg's were down some, but, their number of hits were close (AT was 8th in BSC); AT was 4th in BSC in doubles and TZ was 1st in BSC in triples. Both had more RBI's and lowered their K's significantly from last year. Their on-base-with-error was up as well, which isn't seen in avg. They were 2nd and 6th in BSC. That's the benefit of not striking out as much, put the ball into play and good things happen.

They will have to make even more adjustments next year, as will all the freshman.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]