The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Longwood 18-3
Coastal 16-5
LU 16-8
Radford 12-9
Campbell 9-12
Charleston S. 9-12
Presby 8-13
G Webb 4-17
Winthrop 4-17

Coastal and Longwood play this week. If Longwood sweeps, LU will be #2 seed in tournament, according to my math.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
you would be correct, by virtue of our series win.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Very true. I tied to fill out a bracket yesterday. I did not get very far. GW and Winthrop will play in the "play-in" game. That's about the only sure thing right now.

If Longwood sweeps CCU, we will get #2 seed, but in reality, there's is very little difference between a 2 seed or a 3 seed. I just hope Longwood gets knocked out of tournament after 2 games. But hopefully LU can win tournament. I like our chances if everyone is healthy. I think we have best team in BSC. We had more injury problems than the other teams, and it hurt us in most conference games we lost.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Longwood 18-3
Coastal 16-5
LU 16-8
Radford 12-9
Campbell 9-12
Charleston S. 9-12
Presby 8-13
G Webb 4-17
Winthrop 4-17

Coastal and Longwood play this week. If Longwood sweeps, LU will be #2 seed in tournament, according to my math.
Should be a fun series with Coastal's 79 HRs and top 3 batting avgs in BSC against Longwood's stellar pitching staff with the lowest ERA in BSC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I wish I had time to go to Coastal this weekend and "scout" their series with Longwood. CCU must have short fences, and a jet stream going out of park to have that many home runs.

If LU can't win tournament, I just hope Longwood does not win it. I have no use for them. They should have never been admitted to BSC. I have yet to figure out how they got in. They had nothing to offer conference since they do not have a football team.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll focus on the home run thing...you do know that they have games in other places right? Not to mention there are standard dimensions for a ncaa softball field? It could just be that they are really good hitters with power...that a concept you can wrap your head around?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll focus on the home run thing...you do know that they have games in other places right? Not to mention there are standard dimensions for a ncaa softball field? It could just be that they are really good hitters with power...that a concept you can wrap your head around?
I have no idea about the size of their stadium, but the dimensions are not standardized in the NCAA. There are recommendations and guidelines, but no standard dimensions.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/rules/softball/Fielddiagram.pdf

Oh, and you're coming off as a jerk once again, BJWilliams.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll focus on the home run thing...you do know that they have games in other places right? Not to mention there are standard dimensions for a ncaa softball field? It could just be that they are really good hitters with power...that a concept you can wrap your head around?
No standard dimensions for the outfield fences BJ; only minimum distance of 230' for CF and 210' for LF and RF. Other factors such as prevailing winds come into play as well. If you are playing half your games in a "HR friendly" park, it will definately raise your productivity in that area. It will also skew recruiting to go after power hitters, and yes, the beach hens have plenty of them.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I love ballcoach's posts , but I love the reactions (BJ) he gets even more. It keeps me coming back for more. He's got a sense of humor but most don't get it.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I love ballcoach's posts , but I love the reactions (BJ) he gets even more. It keeps me coming back for more. He's got a sense of humor but most don't get it.
+1

Also, just by reading BC's posts about softball and really any sport, I could tell he's a Trump supporter. It just makes sense...
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
The real way to answer this question is to look at HR totals (home vs. away) for the team. You could go further and research the oppositions performance at CCU in respect, but that's more work. Hopefully, BJ / BC are up to the task. I'd be interested to see how the data shakes out.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Coastal's diamensions are 200 feet to LF, CF, and RF. same size as most high school stadiums.

At LU stadium, most of the time batters are hitting "into the wind", especially to LF. I have seen some wind aided home runs to RF.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Coastal's diamensions are 200 feet to LF, CF, and RF. same size as most high school stadiums.

At LU stadium, most of the time batters are hitting "into the wind", especially to LF. I have seen some wind aided home runs to RF.
Hows do you explain their batting averages? 3 top hitters in the league - one over .400 and two almost at .400 including the possible national FOY as she has been nominated with 4 others!!! Maybe they actually have good hitters with a lot of power but I could be wrong.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:The real way to answer this question is to look at HR totals (home vs. away) for the team. You could go further and research the oppositions performance at CCU in respect, but that's more work. Hopefully, BJ / BC are up to the task. I'd be interested to see how the data shakes out.
I'll get right on it H_O
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:No standard dimensions for the outfield fences BJ; only minimum distance of 230' for CF and 210' for LF and RF.
According to the CCU website, ballcoach is actually correct: LF, CF, and RF are all only 200 feet deep.

http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/c ... adium.html
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for batting averages, I have seen many "home scorekeepers" in my 52 years as a player , coach and fan. I would like to see CCU's home stats vs. away stats, to see if there is a major difference.

No CCU player should win national anything of the year award. CCU does not face the pitching that SEC teams face, week to week.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Working on that right now...this is going to take a smidge of advanced metrics to be able to calculate.

They average right around 1.5 home runs per game through 52 games. I'll do the numbers on home vs away
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
The CCU player up for Top 25 Freshman award has 91 hits and 51 runs scored.... (She went 6-11 against us at home)The kid can hit and make things happen. Then they have Chiusano.. who creates havoc with her speed and grit. Get past those 2.. you have Noad and Dominik. Noad has the all time home run record for BSC and Dominik will probably beat her. Survive those 2.. you get Robinson and Conrad. They have better hitting than the rest of the conference from 1-9. Their cumulative average supports this, the number of runs scored, home runs, etc. Home runs & runs scored.. can't be skewed by home cooking.

I agree with you about the SEC, however, no BSC team gets the SEC strike zone either. The SEC strike zone favors hitters. You won't get a strike call with the ball going down the chalk like you do in the BSC and high school. The BSC strike zone this year is much bigger than I have ever seen it, which deviates from the UIC video they made concerning the "true" strike zone.

New fields are being built to the OKC standard. 200 LF, 220 CF, 200 RF. I believe 6 foot high fence.
Last edited by CentFla on May 5th, 2016, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have had problems with strike zone for several years. Most umpires have too small a zone. But the strike zone should be identical for every conference within NCAA. I have researched the NCAA rule book. It does not have different one for different conferences. But I see what you are saying about difference in SEC and BSC I was at SEC game last Friday (Alabama @ South Carolina). I did not notice how umpire called the plate. but from what I remember he wasn't as bad as most BSC umpires.
I talked with a college coach a couple weeks ago. He told me NCAA instructs umpires to force pitchers to "throw it down the middle" to get more hitting. The days of pitchers throwing 1 hitters with 16 Ks is a thing of the past most of the time.

As for Coastal, they could have some favorable umpires in Big South. I was talking with the ACC softball commissioner a few years back. She told me that NC State had the same umpire behind the plate for 18 of 22 home games that year. Since then , NCAA has done a better job of assigning umpires. I remember if an umpire went to clinic given by the guy who makes assignments, you got a lot of games. (guy giving clinic was paid directly by umpires attending clinic) I seriously considered going into NCAA umpiring, but after talking with several about the politics involved, I did not pursue it.

I hate to go to a game and see a lot of base on balls. (unless LU needs baserunner) Ha
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ok First major data point...of the 76 home runs they have hit on the year, 50 of them have been hit by three players: Kelsey Dominik, Annie Robinson and Morgan Noad (preseason PotY I believe). The player CentFla is referencing is Taty Forbes, a .474 hitter who went 6-11 (which I think he mentioned but got the numbers backwards)
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:....Most umpires have too small a zone. But the strike zone should be identical for every conference within NCAA. I have researched the NCAA rule book. It does not have different one for different conferences. But I see what you are saying about difference in SEC and BSC I was at SEC game last Friday (Alabama @ South Carolina)....
The strike zone is the same... it's called more accurately for SEC games. The umpires at the last home LU games were calling balls outside the river, even on the chalk. That is not a strike, not even close. But, fans in the stands holler and fuss when it is close to the plate. The ball has to cross the black of the plate to be a strike. If there is 1/32 of an inch of clay between the ball and the plate.. it's a ball.

Page 126 & 127 will give you pictures of what the NCAA zone is. There is 0 guess work or opinion in what SHOULD be called.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/SR17.pdf

My predictions are (totally useless.. but hey):
1. We will finish 3rd in conference. I don't see Longwood sweeping CCU.
2. Radford wins 2 games against Campbell and finishes 4th.
3. CSU wins 2 games against Presby and finishes 5th.
4. Campbell wins 1 game against Radford and finishes 6th.
5. We will start with Campbell at BSC next week.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good predictions, if I had to predict, I would probably go exactly same direction. Heck , CCU might sweep Longwood. Longwood has been lucky in a lot of their BCS games this season. I don't think they are as good as their record.

I just hope if LU doesn't win tournament, CCU does. I rather pull for them than Longwood.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]