The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
To your first point, softball isn't a very popular sport, especially at the low end of D1.

To your second, message boards are dying - especially the small ones without a large, loyal following.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Not sure when girls' last game was, but LU had a major concert last night. Plus it was CFAW. And I confess that I've never been to an LU softball game in the new stadium, but I plan on showing up for the doubleheader against MARSHALL.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
a few random thoughts on this rainy Saturday with no LU softball to watch...

1. 2016 Liberty Softball Classic, home opener series, had a higher attendance than the 2015 Liberty Softball Classic, home opener series (LU stadium opening)
2. Winthrop attendance was down, however, it was spring break. Also, LU had just had trips to FL, TX, LA, LA, and the Liberty Softball Classic. Parents wallets and bodies needed some rest.
3. softball popularity... womens softball has outpaced mens baseball on ESPN and other outlets the past few years. Last year the WCWS had a several percentage points advantage over the MCWS on ESPN.
4. Low end of D1… LU softball and its popularity in Lynchburg and campus… LU softball was an afterthought, stuck in the back of the campus on a field not worthy of a local 10U rec ball game. There were no concessions, no fan experience, a porta-potty (singular) for a restroom, and It barely had enough seating for the parents (and siblings that were forced to attend). The school spent little to nothing on the program, even things like the player’s uniforms weren’t as nice as most high school practice uniforms.

New stadium, money invested in the program, uniforms that look sharp (very important to players and recruits) marketing programs, fireworks, etc = New dawn.. new day… opening day attendance 2012 – 38; 2013 – 67; 2014 – 77; 2015 – 261; 2016 – 529

Baseball didn’t get to the numbers they are at overnight, nor will softball. But, based on the 100’s of stadiums that are being expanded across the country at schools of all sizes, from NAIA to Oregon, softball’s popularity continues to grow. There is NO comparison to the game experience the players and fans are having today compared to 3 years ago at LU. The loudness of the fans, the music, the scoreboard, announcer, etc. That experience will get recruits and make spectators come back and tell their friends.
By Dalegarz1
A conference championship and a subsequent successful NCAA run would go a long way to generate interest. Let's face it-there are a few of us who are "junkies" and many more who are front runners.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The novelty of the new stadium is wearing off. Winning will bring a new group of curious fans into the ballpark. A conference championship is a big step in the right direction. Every sport on the mountain outside of football has seen attendance rise and fall based on winning.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
There are only a dozen or so programs that average over 1,000 fans per game. Softball is just not a big spectator sport in most places. The biggest programs average around 3,000 fans. Compare that with baseball where the biggest average around 10,000.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I took my daughter to a few games last year. I found the experience to be very good. The ballpark is beautiful and the concessions (I thought) were very good and reasonably priced.

Weather so far this season hasn't been the best for attendance. I expect once warmer weather returns, we will see a spike in attendance. I know I'll go once again.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: The ballpark is beautiful and the concessions (I thought) were very good and reasonably priced.
Any word on the nachos? Was the cheese piping hot or did it just come out of the fridge? I'm asking for a friend. :wink:
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote: The ballpark is beautiful and the concessions (I thought) were very good and reasonably priced.
Any word on the nachos? Was the cheese piping hot or did it just come out of the fridge? I'm asking for a friend. :wink:
I don't go for nachos. We did peanuts, popcorn and chicken tenders and corndogs. All were hot though and the line moved quickly. I believe admission was free too. Not sure if it's that way this year, but I'd pay $5 a ticket no problem.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]