The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
Historically, the beauty of Women's softball has been the speed of the game especially when compared to baseball. In the 1990's when I coached college softball the games were anywhere from 75 to 90 mins (I called all the pitches). The latest trend is to use the wristbands which has slowed the game down significantly. Our team, in particular takes a lot of time between pitches to communicate from the bench to the battery. Whether we are at bat or on defense our players spend a lot of time checking their wristbands. Maybe we should be thinking more about what to do if the ball is hit to us!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The game has slowed down a lot. I once saw a 7 inning game played in 55 minutes.

There are several reasons I think. One is TV. Last night teams we're ready to play and umpire had to wait until Commercials were over.

Those wrist band signs should be banned. Go back to just flashing them with hands arms. Even catcher uses them now to signal what pitch to throw. I think this has some effect on number of bb we give up. Pitchers cannot get into rythem.

Another slow down is umpires strike zone. It gets smaller each year.

I can recall when pace of play was an area of emphasis. Now if it takes 3 hours to play a game everyone is happy.

Another reason for slow play is all the music and dog and pony shows between innings and sometimes between pitches. Now if pitcher looks to outfield between pitches the PA has to blare music.

Also some coaches visit mound too much.

I could write a book about pace of play in college softball.
By Dalegarz1
I could co-author that book! It's not good for the fielders to have that much time between pitches. Walks continue to be a problem as does pitch selection. Case in point, Chandler comes on in relief and throws no change-ups in her warmups. First live pitch-change-up that almost was a wild pitch.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Game management could use some improvements in all phases. The 3B Coach needs to get rid of play sheet in his hand. Makes him look like he not sure of himself. Memorize the signs or numbers.

As for walks we can't put hitters away after getting ahead 0-2 or 1-3. That's pitch calling in my opinion.
By Dalegarz1
Too much emphasis on how many different pitches a pitcher can throw. I've talked to more young ladies who claim they have a rise, curve, drop, screwball and change. Of course there is no mastery of anyone of those. Because of that, we seem to be always going deep into the count and prolonging at bats.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Another thing would speed up game is to control number of visits to pitching circle by coaches and players.

In a game over the weekend, a pitcher threw ball 3 on the batter. Every infielder went to circle to shake pitchers hand. In another game, the coach went to mound every time LU got a base runner, or so it seemed.
By Dalegarz1
During this past tournament, I kept track of the elapsed time between pitches (that were not put in play). Every team, except Sacred Heart, took between 16-20 seconds to relay the signals and deliver the next pitch. Sacred Heart (sans wrist bands) was faster. Oh and BTW, they beat us.
By CarolinaBlue
Dalegarz1 wrote:I could co-author that book! It's not good for the fielders to have that much time between pitches. Walks continue to be a problem as does pitch selection case in point, Chandler comes on in relief and throws no change-ups in her warmups. First live pitch-change-up that almost was a wild pitch.
Chandler's best pitch is the change. The bull pen is where the work is done on warming up all pitches. The 5 pitches given on the field are not meant for that. I was at the Baylor Tournament and she came in relief in the bottom of the 7th 2 out & threw multiple change ups first pitch and others to North Texas best hitter ( Schkade ).
I agree the game is slowing down. And I don't think I am a fan of the wrist bands for signals as well. Although many teams are is using them.

IMHO
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In my opinion wrist band signals and play charts give impression that everyone is not in flow of the game. But I am Old School.
By Dalegarz1
IT is so unusual to see a pitcher/catcher call their own game. Consequently, they don't learn how to set up hitters as quickly. It takes an extraordinary pitching coach to be able to discern the pitcher's state of mind, and their stuff on any given day.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Whoever calls pitches has to be able to out smart the batter.

Thankfully we are now throwing more change-ups. At a couple games in Florida, I was beginning to think the change up had been outlawed.
By Dalegarz1
I agree-a pitcher can be very effective throwing to contact. Not everyone is a strikeout pitcher. Sweep Coastal!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]