The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Hmm, currently Baylor isn't that far from me...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would like to see both Baylor and LSU game, but that is a little too far for me. I plan to go to Florida to see LU and Alabama.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:About a 2.5-hour drive for me.
Race you to the Stadium :-p
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Last I heard they were waiting on Big South to finalize conference schedules. They were delayed because of conference having to move basketball tournaments out of Coastal Carolina, thus the conference office had not had time to do softball.
By Dalegarz1
Ok, thanks-can't wait to plan my Spring trips to LU (I live in NJ) to catch some games. This program will compete for a National Championship in the near future!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am waiting for schedule so that I can plan a trip to Florida in February. I get away from winter weather in Virginia and enjoy warm Florida weather and watch about 12 softball games.
By Dalegarz1
Love the new signees for 2016-17. Program is only getting stronger. Need to pick up a dominant force in the circle!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We have 3 freshman pitchers this season. All 3 looked good when I saw them in the fall . I am hoping one develops into an Ace of staff this season.
By Dalegarz1
Any idea of how hard they throw. It's nice to have a lot of pitches, but it's even better if they come off of a 65-70mph fastball.
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am waiting for schedule so that I can plan a trip to Florida in February. I get away from winter weather in Virginia and enjoy warm Florida weather and watch about 12 softball games.
Looking at Alabama's schedule, they will be in Florida the weekend of 2/12/2016. They play Alabama 2/14/2016 @ 8:00 a.m. @ UCF Classic. The Clermont tournament starts 2/12/2016 as well.

As far as the 2016 class... disappointing they didn't bring in a pitcher for 2016. They must be counting on everyone 1. staying 100% healthy 2. returning to LU in 2016 (LU has lost at least 1 pitcher for the past 7-8 years) 3. each pitcher really improving to compete in D1, with a 50+ game schedule.

As far as any of them pitching 65-70.. that's a no go. But, in fastpitch, spin and off speed is MUCH more important than top speed. The school with the #1 ERA in the country had 2 pitchers that were 5'4" - 5'5" and threw low 60's, but wicked spin and off speed. Same with JMU's pitcher, who was #4 in the country. Speed helps, but a flat 65-70 mph pitch goes a looooong way when a composite bat makes contact. You aren't going to blow a pitch by the better hitters after one time through the lineup.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Agree. I have seen college pitchers throw in the 60s and get hit like it's church league slow-pitch.

I once saw a team in high school win state championship with a pitcher who topped out at 45 mph with a 37 mph change up.

A good rise ball is certainly the best "out-pitch" there is.

Key for LU pitchers this year is cut down on walks. They killed us last year.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]