The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have a thread on Abby Tincher transferring to South Alabama, but the numbers say she will not be the only one. With 17 on the roster last year and only 2 seniors plus Abby leaving, that leaves 14. We signed 12 last fall, making 26. Even if every player were granted only a half scholarship as allowed by the NCAA, with the limit being 12 full schollies or the equivilant, that would be 24. I feel pretty confident that several of these ladies will have full rides, so that further lowers the number.

Several more will be leaving one way or another, and it´s quite possible some already have and we just haven´t heard about it, so I figured we could use a thread to post info on who will not be returning next year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good observations. Another thing to consider is of the 12 signed, will all 12 show up ? I am aware of one pitcher who had arm trouble and did not play high school ball this past spring.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have seen several transfers around the country where the player does not have to sit out a year. Does any guru know why softball players can do this, when football and basketball players cannot ? I find this interesting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have seen several transfers around the country where the player does not have to sit out a year. Does any guru know why softball players can do this, when football and basketball players cannot ? I find this interesting.
There are only a few sports which require the athlete to sit a year when transferring. Football, MBB and WBB for sure. I´m not positive, but I believe Baseball as well. Players from all other sports can play immediatly.
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have seen several transfers around the country where the player does not have to sit out a year. Does any guru know why softball players can do this, when football and basketball players cannot ? I find this interesting.
in softball, if you transfer from a D1 to a D1, as long as you transfer out of conference and get a release you are immediately eligible. If you transfer in conference... you sit a year. If you don't get a release, you sit a year.

In D1 FBS football, if you transfer from D1 FBS to any lower division (FCS, DII, DIII, and NAIA) you are immediately eligible if you received the proper release.

NCAA is looking at changing the rules to have all sports sit out a year regardless of conference/division. Transferring is becoming a bigger problem each year.
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Good observations. Another thing to consider is of the 12 signed, will all 12 show up ? I am aware of one pitcher who had arm trouble and did not play high school ball this past spring.
The fact that there are 12-13 incoming freshman and 0 true Juniors says a lot about the coaches and how they felt about the existing players. >18 players is very difficult to manage... for games, who travels for away games and who is in the dugout at home games (I believe there is a conference limit)... also, it has a MAJOR impact on practice reps, both defensively and bats... who gets to practice at a position.. how many balls do you get hit at you before you change out... how do the starters get more than 5 pitches in BP so that everyone gets BP. Keep in mind, practices have a time limit, they cannot extend practice hours to accommodate the additional players. There are times more isn't better and when it comes to practice.. this is one of those times. 26 player roster = players will leave at the end of 2016, or sooner. IMHO
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Softball recruiting starts (contact) and ends (commitment) even earlier than more major sports. For these coaches, this was probably inevitable. Coaches should always be trying to "recruit over" current players, always looking to improve.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think they can red shirt, but it's done only in cases of player suffering an injury.

But I could be mis-informed.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]