The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I confess to not following softball very closely, so someone who does, please enlighten me. Is it normal to have only 3 pitchers on a D1 roster? I get it that pitching softball does not put the strain on the arm that baseball does, and pitchers can go every day. Nonetheless, injuries do happen, and it seems like we are walking a pretty fine line having only 3. We have that many catchers (although a couple of them are also listed as 3B.)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
OK, just did a bit of easy research by looking at Liberty's roster for the past several years. We have had as many as 5 (only once) and as few as 2, so I guess 3 isn't out of line, but it still seems kind of risky to me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Most players at the DI level pitched in HS. So we probably go fairly deep in girls who can sling it if needed.
I would think that if we have position players who are actually prepared to go in and pitch if needed, they would also be listed as a pitcher on the roster. Our 3 pitchers include Kenzie Friesen, who is also listed as a SS.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Most college teams have 3 pitchers, with one of them being the ace. I have seen teams ride 1 pitcher to the softball world series. On many teams the #3 pitcher doesn't get much weekend work.
By panther1
Registration Days Posts
Yes According to coach Dot, softball pitching is less stressful than baseball. No over the shoulder throws. Local High school team here last year won state championship with one pitcher.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Most college teams have 3 pitchers, with one of them being the ace. I have seen teams ride 1 pitcher to the softball world series. On many teams the #3 pitcher doesn't get much weekend work.
Like VT did with Abby's older sister Angela?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes. VT went to World Series with basically 1 pitcher .

LU beat UMass-Lowell 2-0 today. LU now is 4-5 on season . Next games are in Gainesville this weekend . This will be a tougher tournament I believe . But hopefully we can keep hitting and get some good pitching . LU plays #1 Florida Friday night.
I plan to travel down to Florida for this tournament .
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]