The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think I remember her from the elite camp @LU. there was an outfielder that was good. believe it was her.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
WCNC wrote:Early signing day for Amanda Dobner
WCNC 11:40 a.m. EST November 18, 2014

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- When schools have multiple student-athletes sign a National Letter of Intent it's done all at the same time on the same day. Hickory Grove Christian school isn't most schools. The Lions will host a special signing day for each of the three girls on the softball team. Stephanie Marlowe, who signed last week, will play softball with her current teammate, Amanda Dobner.
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 51&TeamID=

We've gotten 12
This is the recruiting class we expected we would get when we heard Dot would be our coach. I think being able to recruit to the new state of the art facility has been the final piece of the puzzle to make it happen. Look no further than Jacelyn Amader, OF from California who is rated the #1 prospect in the nation by OnDeck Softball. Wrap your head around that for a second. A HS Senior rated the best in the country chose Liberty. Like Katie Feenstra said.......... "why not?!"
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU commit Taylor Mabry from Bassett suffered a serious ankle injury today. She.was covering the plate and runner slid into her ankle . Everyone remember her in your prayers.

Update: I was informed she broke ankle in 2 places.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Here is a link to the OnDeckSoftball rating site showing Liberty recruit Jacelyn Amader as their #1 rated player. This rating is based on measurables, and she had the highest score of 4378 players they have tested to date. It primarily means she is extremely athletic. Her numbers on the field aren't bad either. She hit .438 her senior season in HS.

http://www.ondeckmeasurements.com/
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am looking forward to seeing the new recruits on the field this fall
I am looking forward to seeing who returns from the current roster, or, in other terms... who departs during the summer.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Because the incoming freshmen are THAT good! The softball recruiting cycle is a strong 2+ years in length. It and soccer are longer processes with earlier commitments than even football and basketball. Based on that fact, this class represents Dr. Dot's first recruiting class at full throttle. And beyond that, this class is simply THAT talented and highly touted.

Several who recommitted from SEC and PAC12 programs after Dr. Dot got her job and are coming to play for her. It's just taken that long to get them here. Wait and see...

Liberty had four all-frosh and frosh-of-the-year. And still, I'm betting maybe one player from this year's lineup will even start next year. This class is that good!

So, yeah, there may be defections.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Do they have rankings of the top recruiting classes by college in softball like they do for other collegiate sports? Is it possible that LU would have one of those? Just wondering... it would seem from the talk and hype about this new class, that we would be in the discussion.

Another thing that is interesting to me is that the dynamics of the decision are different for women's softball. To have recruits decommit from P5 conferences to come to us is astounding.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Despite the W-L record, LU wasn't that far away this past season. There were a couple weak links. Fix these and 2016 will be "Year of the Flames".
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:Do they have rankings of the top recruiting classes by college in softball like they do for other collegiate sports? Is it possible that LU would have one of those? Just wondering... it would seem from the talk and hype about this new class, that we would be in the discussion.

Another thing that is interesting to me is that the dynamics of the decision are different for women's softball. To have recruits decommit from P5 conferences to come to us is astounding.
There are some rankings out there for softball, however, they tend to be more geographic or travel team based. If you know the landscape, you can look at the travel team the recruit played for and have an idea of their credentials.

I only know of 2 players that de-committed from their verbal's and that was due to a coaching change at the institution they were committed to. So, I wouldn't consider that a de-commit since there is no commitment from the new coach as well. The new coach could have not honored the verbal's. Ask the freshman that were caught up in that when Coach Wetmore retired. LU made 0 commitment to them during the transition.

As far as players leaving, I believe 3-4 left last year and around the same the year before. I don't think the number will be that high this coming year because there were some that left during the season. However, players leaving isn't uncommon. They come in thinking D1 athletics is all fun and it simply is not. It's a lot of work, time, and constant scrutiny. Players get to the point where they are ready for the next step in their life knowing there is no future in softball. You have to LOVE softball, love all the game brings with it, and be ok with all the negatives that comes with being a player at LU (or any school). As far as the incoming 12... they better tighten the belts and get ready for an experience like they never had. We should probably due an over/under on how many survive year 1. :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Biggest problem with softball recruits, is some do not want to leave their boy friend back home. LU lost a couple last year because of this.
Personally I think that's a stupid thing to do. A college education is more important than a boy friend. Get degree, play softball. Then look for a new boy friend.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Biggest problem with softball recruits, is some do not want to leave their boy friend back home. LU lost a couple last year because of this.
Personally I think that's a stupid thing to do. A college education is more important than a boy friend. Get degree, play softball. Then look for a new boy friend.
Isn't that an issue with recruits in every sport, regardless or gender? Or are you just being blatantly sexist?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
From people I have talked with around the country, it's a little bigger issue in softball than other sports. I am not being sexist. I am just telling it as I see it.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Biggest problem with softball recruits, is some do not want to leave their boy friend back home. LU lost a couple last year because of this.
Isn't that an issue with recruits in every sport, regardless or gender? Or are you just being blatantly sexist?
I'll defend ballcoach on this one... kind of.

My grandfather had four daughters, each went to college in the late 60's, early 70's. That is the family and mindset I grew up with. It never ceases to amaze me how many people I run in to who have the mindset OF THIER OWN DAUGHTER's, "She doesn't need to go to college, except maybe to get a husband."

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I DON'T believe college is for everyone, but I believe that everyone should have an opportunity. Some don't have an opportunity because of finances... others because of a mindset (or lack of imagination).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the "defense" Alabama.

In this day and age, if a girl gets recruited for D1 softball, she needs to go. Now granted she needs grades, SAT score, etc. But if she's offered, the Coach has made sure she's got everything in order, before the offer is made. Spending the years between 18-22 in college, allows one ample time to find husband or boyfriend...before the roll is called up yonder.

On the male athlete side, I personally know of a guy who turned down a D1 track offer, because he did not want to leave his girl friend. Today he is in prison for armed robbery.
By Eighty
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: In this day and age, if a girl gets recruited for D1 softball, she needs to go. Now granted she needs grades, SAT score, etc. But if she's offered, the Coach has made sure she's got everything in order, before the offer is made.
If I created a list based on what I have seen while doing recruiting it would look like:
1. It's not what they expected. Examples : 1. The Coach was very nice on the recruiting trail... not so much once you are there. 2. Time commitment... takes much more time and physical/mental energy than expected. It's a job.. 7 days a week 12 hours a day. 3. They realize they would rather be a student pursuing a degree rather than waking up at 5:00 am and getting scrutinized 3 hours a day for 8 months.

2. Homesick. Examples: The experience isn't good, so, they start missing the comforts of home.. aka Johnny and/or Mommy. Deadbeat Johnny just tells Suzy to come home and it will be alright.

3. Personal reasons: parents divorce, illness, pregnancy, etc

4. Playing time: would prefer to go to a school where they will play.

Players are getting committed as 8th & 9th graders (over 130 listed). The de-commit/fallout level is going to sky rocket, both by the player and schools. So, as far as the coaches having everything in order... I assure you.. they do not. There is a reason why Ivy league and historically strong academic schools will not verbal/commit prior to the senior year and SAT/ACT tests results are in.

Good topic... The NCAA knows they have a problem. They just can't figure out how to put the genie back into the bottle.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good post. It does take a commitment to play D1 softball. There are things the NCAA could do to help the sport, but the NCAA is just concerned about money.

NCAA could restrict amount of hours for off season workouts.
NCAA needs to tighten the belt on transfers (in all sports).
NCAA could shorten the season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Good post. It does take a commitment to play D1 softball. There are things the NCAA could do to help the sport, but the NCAA is just concerned about money.

NCAA could restrict amount of hours for off season workouts.
NCAA needs to tighten the belt on transfers (in all sports).
NCAA could shorten the season.
You keep saying they need to tighten of on transfers, but the only suggestion I have seen you make is to require a 4 year committment from both parties. That would be the equivelant of the old baseball reserve clause. It would be a violation of the player´s rights and would never stand up in court, and the NCAA knows it. Thank you Curt Flood.

The current one year transfer penalty provides a substantial but fair disincentive. I have yet to hear of a reasonable alternative.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]