The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Curt Flood ruined baseball, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, that deal lead to free agency, or at least started ball rolling.

MLB would be better off if there was no Free Agency.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Curt Flood ruined baseball, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, that deal lead to free agency, or at least started ball rolling.
So, is it all about what is best for the game with you? What about the rights of the PEOPLE who play these games? How would you feel if you took a job, found out you hated it and your employer was able to tell you ¨sorry, you belong to us, you can´t work anywhere else¨?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The integrity of MLB should have been maintained. As it was, it allowed the NY Yankees to buy championships, and they're still trying to buy them. Now granted, a couple other teams are also. I am ole school. Build the team thru draft choices and trades.

Free agency is worse thing ever to happen to MLB, even more than the DH.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The integrity of MLB should have been maintained. As it was, it allowed the NY Yankees to buy championships, and they're still trying to buy them. Now granted, a couple other teams are also. I am ole school. Build the team thru draft choices and trades.

So, you are going to completely ignore my question and stay agenda focused. Typical.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The integrity of MLB should have been maintained. As it was, it allowed the NY Yankees to buy championships, and they're still trying to buy them. Now granted, a couple other teams are also. I am ole school. Build the team thru draft choices and trades.

Maybe they can go back to segregated leagues.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am not a fan of inter league play. Creates unbalanced schedule .
WOW, you hate everything that makes up MLB for the past 20+ years. And I think he meant having a separate negro league.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am not a fan of inter league play. Creates unbalanced schedule .
You couldn´t make this stuff up. Nobody would believe it. :roll:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Wondering if ballcoach would like for MLB to return to this old Abner Doubleday-era baseball rule:
One of the significant rules prohibited soaking or plugging the runner; under older rules, a fielder could put a runner out by hitting the runner with the thrown ball, similarly to the common schoolyard game of kickball. The Knickerbocker Rules required fielders to tag or force the runner, as is done today, and avoided a lot of the arguments and fistfights that resulted from the earlier practice.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This thread needs to return to 2015 Signees and the LU Roster for 2016. I don't think MLB effects the LU roster in any way.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This thread needs to return to 2015 Signees and the LU Roster for 2016. I don't think MLB effects the LU roster in any way.
No argument here, but all I did was make a valid comparison between the concept of a 4 year college committment and the old baseball reserve clause and you took it from there. Still waiting nto hear a legitimate suggestion from you as to what the NCAA should do to cut down on transfers.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
If a coach is a good coach and they understand how to treat players that they want in their program, problematic transfers won't be a problem. However, the NCAA is looking at forcing a year of Ineligibility regardless of conference transfer. Other than that, there isn't much they should do. Many times the transfers are welcomed by the coaches, which is why they give the player the required release. Just look at how many releases the current coaching staff have signed in the last 2 years. Returning players - Returning, they have 0 true Sophomores and down to 6 Freshman (that could go lower). The incoming class will almost out number all of the remaining classes...

4 year scholarships are legal and available, however, I believe LU only does single year contracts.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Overall I don't think transfers are a big problem in softball or baseball. The biggest problem lies in basketball with football rapidly closing in.

The NCAA should crack down and only allow transfers in extreme circumstances.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Overall I don't think transfers are a big problem in softball or baseball. The biggest problem lies in basketball with football rapidly closing in.

The NCAA should crack down and only allow transfers in extreme circumstances.
What you are saying is that college athletes should be second class citizens who do not have the same rights as others to change schools or jobs when they find that the one they are in is not a good fit. OK, if their mom is dying we might make an exception and let them transfer closer to home. :roll:

I agree with CentFla that coaches often are actually more than happy to sign a release for a player wanting to transfer because the player wasn´t contributing for whatever reason and it freed up a scholarship for an athlete who hopefully would be a better fit. There are at least 2 or 3 of these for every star player who leaves to go to a program that is in a bigger conference or is more successful. While the recent explosion of transfers in MBB is perhaps annoying to fans, I really don´t see it hurting the game that much. It´s a 2 way street in more ways than one.

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]