The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
While waxing nostalgic, I was thinking of the Liberty Grandpa who ate in Marriott (Sodexho now) every single day. He loved to interact with students and we found him to be a great guy to talk to. Is he still around?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Are you talking about Gary or are you talking about that guy with the fake leg that drove that brown Scout? Gary, aka #1 fan, is still around. I hadnt seen that other guy in a few years when I was still in school.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Gary....thats the number 1 fan. Thanks. No - I was taliking about the guy with the wooden leg who drove the scout as the Liberty Grandpa.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
well, after seeing your other post, you're most likely not talking about Gary. So he's not still around. At least he wasn't 2-3 years ago.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Actually he passed away last year I believe it was at the beginning of 2005 or something like that. I actually lived next door to him before he died. Now some other family now lives in that house next to me. He was a very nice man. A little strange at times but nice.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
grandpa was a nice man. im sorry to hear he passed.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
rest in peace but he still sounds kind of creepy...a peg leg who drove around campus in a scout??
By Tracey
Registration Days Posts
I was always afraid to ask about the LU Grandpa. He was so sweet, and not at all creepy, if you took the time to get to know him. He had that little notebook that he had carried around for years, and he just wanted students to write their names in it so he could remember to pray for us. Years after I graduated someone from my church said they were looking through his book and they were shocked to see my name. It was at least 10 years since I had been there.

I have a couple of photos of him in my bunch from LU. I took pictures of everything, then, and I am glad that I did. He was a wonderful part of my LU experience.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Isn't he the same guy who donated clocks (not the digital ones) all over campus?
By Tracey
Registration Days Posts
Good memory!! I had forgotten all about that, but yep, that was him. And I saw him financially help out students when he found out they were in need. You know, now that I think of it, I do not even know his real name. He was just Grandpa.

I met his wife before she passed away in the early '90s. I have a picture of the two of them in the cafeteria. What an adorable couple they made!
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]