The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
For all you old hags and current students:

Is the Number #1 Fan still around campus? This guy had white hair, crew cut, and walked with a limp. He attended every (and I mean every) Liberty sporting event and cheered like it was the seventh game of the World Series for all of them. In the Vines, he sat in the front row of the blue seats on the cushioned seat side by main entrance. We crowd surfed him during the '96 tourney and I will never forget the sheer glee on his face. He loved the students, and even though he had a speech impediment - he communicated very well. I hope he is still around supporting all the teams.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
yeah he is still around. I see him around all the time picking up trash. He still goes to all the games as well.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
If its the same guy- and bear in mind my memory is fading- he was at the LU/WU soccer game at homecoming- screaming at us all to move back off the sideline.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Well from what jcmanson said - it probably was. What were you thinking standing so freaking close anyway!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
we used to love getting him all riled up...
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
He is pretty excitable. Nice guy though - even though wearing pinstripes meant you were the enemy.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
He is pretty intense but I'm 99% sure he's not all there. When you sit near the guy, you find out he's pretty stubborn about people sitting around him. Over where my dorm sat he'd pretty much have security make us sit down every 10 minutes because we are in his way or something. You'd think the guy would just sit someplace else instead of making us sit and watch the game.

A funny story: We were at a soccer game that was pretty intense about 2 years ago. There was a fight out on the field and one of my jerk dormmates told Gary to run out there and get involved. Well, he did. And was promptly removed from the area. After that we didn't really joke around with him since he obviously means business when it comes to Liberty sports.
Last edited by LUconn on January 20th, 2006, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I woulda HAD to cheer about that one. Can you imagine being a player, turning around and seeing THAT charging out onto the field at you?
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
That was too funny LUconn. You were right though - you couldnt joke about LU sports or you met his wrath. He is a pretty bid dude and with his mental state - that could be a scary combination!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:He is pretty intense but I'm 99% sure he's not all there. When you sit near the guy, you find out he's pretty stubborn about people sitting around him. Over where my dorm sat he'd pretty much have security make us sit down every 10 minutes because we are in his way or something. You'd think the guy would just sit someplace else instead of making us sit and watch the game.

A funny story: We were at a soccer game that was pretty intense about 2 years ago. There was a fight out on the field and one of my jerk dormmates told Gary to run out there and get involved. Well, he did. And was promptly removed from the area. After that we didn't really joke around with him since he obviously means business when it comes to Liberty sports.
who did that
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
gee, we all wonder :roll:
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i swear i don't think it was me
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The cuban refugee.
By Thotprovkr
Registration Days Posts
The #1 fan's name is Gary Householder. Really neat guy. His brothers went to LBC back in the late 70's/ early 80's and he came with them and never left. His family is from Staunton(?) VA. He is a little off, but mostly just has a speech impediment. He can probably recite every player's stats from the last 5 years. He is very faithful to everything he does. He's not very literate, but reads his Bible every day, is in the same seat every Sunday at TRBC and walks more in one day than most of us do in a year. He does odd jobs around campus and the city for some spending money. When I was coaching up there, we were his ride to most of the away games and I got to spend alot of time with Him. A very special man.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Thotprovkr
Thank you for the post. In my Old Hagdom I forgot his name. It was great to have him on the sidelines. I know he is a good and faithful man and great to have him at all the games.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i should of suspected him....for a kid with so much money he really was a cheapskate when we tried to get him to buy stuff....oh and my 20 dollar ps2 is still purring like a banshee...haha sucker
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You cant go to a Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Any basketball really any sport...some time back Jerry gave him a meal pass so he can eat on campus whenever he wants

Another neat story is he had a Greyhound pass and they refused his ticket b/c they didnt think he could take care of himself...to make a long story short Greyhound is lucky they arent naming it after him...I believe he now has a Lifetime Ticket for Greyhound
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:I believe he now has a Lifetime Ticket for Greyhound
wow, he must of lost that lawsuit...what a drag....a free pass to sit next to a guy who will try and lick your feet whenever you want...hooray
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I think the greyhound story was a little bit more invovled than that, too. I remember when I was there, I think he wound up getting lost for a few weeks before they tracked him down. It might have been related to greyhound, but my mind is fuzzy...
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
oh man i remember that
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
oh man i remember that...
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread yet but I did want to chime in. I talked with Terry Falwell last night (Ok, he did all the talking, I just listen...Kidding Terry!), and he told me that Gary can eat on campus for free for the rest of his life. Jerry is taking care of him and he is really loyal to all the teams on campus that is for sure. Gary gave me a Christmas card last year too. He really is loved on the mountain.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:Yeah, I think the greyhound story was a little bit more invovled than that, too. I remember when I was there, I think he wound up getting lost for a few weeks before they tracked him down. It might have been related to greyhound, but my mind is fuzzy...
see, the problem was Gary acted as his own lawyer....kidding, but they ended up settling out of court and the bus pass was a part of a package deal, it didnt amount to a ton but he did get a few thousand dollars
By just john
Jerry announced a few months ago on OTGH that Gary had a couple of heart attacks. Guess he is ok now.

A year or so ago Jerry was in church announcing something he was clearly passionate about and asking for a show of hands on who did not get whatever important piece of literature from the usher. (Jerry can be a little tough on those ushers sometimes....not in a bad way but enough to get his point across). Anyway, Gary thought he would help point out the people who lacked the material and Jerry remarked, "Let me take care of it Gary".

It was a crackup. But just like Jerry to take care of him though w/ eating at the cafeteria. I was there back in the old "hotel" days and remember a few old widows living there for free.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Back in the mid 80's there was an elderly lady living in the dorms on campus in one of the RD's apartments. She was there till '85 or so.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]