The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hburg & I had many discussions back on the old board about football uniforms of bygone years. My personal favorites were the ones we wore the first couple of weeks in the '85 season before all the gear washed down the James River when Treasure Island was flooded.

Let's start with the road uniforms that were actually navy blue (despite how black they look in these scans):

#7 Amos Horton took over QB duties that season when Paul Johnson was injured in the 2nd game

That's #14 Jacob Pope battling for the extra yard. I love the silver numbers with the white borders

Ladies & Gentleman, the greatest DB in our school's history ... #2 Wayne Haddix

Now for the home jerseys. These were my favorites. With the silver helmets with the fiery logo we looked like knights

#32 James Brooks looking for daylight. Even with the crappy photo quality, you have to admit we looked good back then
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Great shots! ya know- this is the kinda history that needs to be preserved and displayed in our Rock Royer Memorial Hall of Fame.

We really need to start applying pressure, maybe at the Flames Club- for this idea.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
While I liked the uniforms, I HATE the logo. I really liked the shot of the white helmet with the red and blue down the center - unique and classic. Couple that with these uniforms and I think you are onto something. That helmet looked like something out of the USFL.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Silver is not our color. Those are ok, but how about that logo? It's basically what is on the Titan's helmets only this, obviously, is back in the days of the oilers. We're trend setters.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
What exactly are our colors? Are we predominantly red, blue, white.....what? What is our main logo?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Pantone colors 187 Red and 288 Blue

and this is supposed to replace all of our logos (the one that's on this helmet)
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Sorry LUconn - tounge in cheek. Liberty has a branding problem. Proto was making headway, but fell off the face of the earth (at least on this board). When I was in the bookstore in November, there was some nice LU gear, but nothing with the new logo and no consistency.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
ahh, the follies of the internet. No voice tone/body language. It's gotten me into a lot of spats with the wife. Premarraige.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agent2Be - You make reference to the USFL as if it were a negative. I loved that league and its marketing. Yeah, the logo in the circle with the trailing Flames was kind of cheesy. But the multi-color Flames were well ahead of their time. But I guess it is a matter of taste. The helmets can probably be found somewher along the base of the James River if they haven't made it tot he Atlantic Ocean by now.
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
Liberty's Head Football Equipment Manager, Robert Burggraf is currently selling old football jerseys. An announcement was posted on Liberty's Splash page a while back but he really didn't get any bites. Maybe this will work. His phone number is 434.582.2052 or email him at rburggraf@liberty.edu. I think he's selling them for $75 each.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Adopting something similar to the titans would be a good look for the helmets now. or

I like the idea of having a unique take on the helmets and having them painted with flames like you would a motorcycle helmet, a la the michigan helment. Deep metallic blue helmets with fiery red flames outlined by silver or white outline. And to preserve branding consistency put the new logo on the outside of the sleeves (like the Philly Eagles logo on the sleeves.) (I've posted this elsewhere, but here is design example: [/url]

EDITED: pics changed by remote host site- PAmedic
bozlady wrote:Liberty's Head Football Equipment Manager, Robert Burggraf is currently selling old football jerseys. An announcement was posted on Liberty's Splash page a while back but he really didn't get any bites. Maybe this will work. His phone number is 434.582.2052 or email him at rburggraf@liberty.edu. I think he's selling them for $75 each.
you don't happen to have any more info on those jerseys do ya? (what era, etc.)

if not, anyone that gets an email reply please post it.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Dude, I'd love to have an old jersey. I'd wear it to every game. It's just a matter of getting $75.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
you need a rich benefactor. Or a job- don't you appraise houses?

seriously- I'm interested as well.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I can't appraise houses til I get the money to register for my test and then have the money to drive to Roanoke to take the test. Eating and being able to drive to school are my two biggest priorities right now. Other than that, I'm looking for a "real" job somewhere in Lynchburg for the summer. I just don't want some crappy job that I'll hate like McDonald's or Wal Mart.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm already workin on my football "uniform" for next year. A jersey would be awesome though.
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
Sly:

Thanks for the great old school pics. I loved those unis. I remember driving through campus and they had stacked all of the football equipment that was salvaged after the flood back behind the lot at the MPC. It would not have been the honest thing to do - but one of those silver helmets would be a great piece to my Flames collection in my office!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No kidding. I would've loved one of those as well. But alas ...

BTW its great to have you back on the board. Your presence & intensity has been missed. Hopefully you'll find time for us as we get closer to football season.
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the kind words Sly. Now that work is more managable and my relocation (all of two miles) is complete I'm a regular once again! I am happy to say that I made my donation to the Flames Club for 2006 today. Bob Good is a great guy by the way. Really excited about football season. Hoping to make a couple of games this year. Hats off to you by the way. This board has really evloved since I first visited a few years ago.

Great job!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Gracias ... we're picking up some momentum and I still have some plans that I would like to implement if I can ever find the time. The football team is creating some serious buzz in Lynchburg and on the mountain and I'd love for us to capitalize on that. You've got a lot fo catching up to do on this board but I believe you are going to really enjoy some of the newbies and their input.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
HBURG good to see you bro- wondered what happened to ya!
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
It's good to be missed Medic. Are you planning any trips to Lynchburg this Fall? I think I'm in for St. Paul's - almost 100% sure.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If Mrs. Second Baseman let's him, he'll be here. He's got to get it approved by her first.
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
SJ

I've been watching your efforts from afar. Great job! I hope your enthusiasm rubs off on your fellow classmates!
Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, b[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Looks like the folks in Raleigh are going to make […]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up t[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]