The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Back in December 1985, somebody came up with the idea of having the student body walk all the way around Liberty Mountain to raise money. About 5000 of us trudged the 11+ miles up and over Candlers Mountain Road and then around the backside. I have to admit it wiped me out.

Here we are walking by the old TE and Science Buildings. You'll notice Demoss was much shorter back in the day.

Sorry for the crease. But I scanned this from an old Selah. It does give you an idea of different the campus was back then. That bridge was the only way on or off campus in a car.

Obviously I don't Jerry, Macel, Dr. G or Elmer making this stroll today.

I'm curious if any of the other old hags were in this as well. Perhaps Baldspot was there before there really was a baldspot on the mountain.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Great shot of Guillerman! Is he still alive?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i believe A. Pierre is still alive. is he still in the burg??
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
that was gonna be my question about Guillerman- what a great guy!

and you other old hags remember that horrible little p/u truck security used? they carted my sorry butt back to dorm 12
after I got plowed by a car (riding my bike)- semi conscious and all. We've come a long way
By Jasmen8182
Sly, I vaguely remember that walk. Fall '85 was my start at LU. In retrospect, I should've taken part in many
more activities. The fresh. and soph. yrs. were consumed with relationship tunnel vision, though I am grateful
for some aspects. Thanks for the memory-jogger/ walker. :lol:
By Thelaxman
I remember that Security Truck. Also I remember that Walk for money deal. I went back home a month before and got a bunch of people from my Church and my whole Family to sponsor me on that thing. Yes, like all of you I was wiped out at the end of the day.

Between that and the big rumbling my senior year in 86-87 with the possible move to Atlanta by the University were some exciting times in building LU in what it is today. Am I really that old now. This stuff seems like yesterday.

Thelaxman
By Thelaxman
Was that the Guy that always said, " Young People"........................................

Thelaxman
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I believe the "young people" line was Dean Brewer's. though I may be wrong-

it was usually in an attempt to get us to stop yapping thru the middle of some official communique.
By Big -e-
Registration Days Posts
That was C. Sumner Wemp's quote. Bless his pointed little head...;.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sumner's line was "Wellllllllll, Glory"
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
and evidently still is- as evidenced by his columns in the Liberty Journal which is sitting on the back of the toilet in our kids' bathroom.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I see Dr Town in that photo also. Best Sumner Wemp's sermon during my time 72 - 75 at chapel was the most memorable phase by a speaker at TRBC.
I sat on the last row of the building doing my homework or reading sports newspaper from home.
Well I got done doing whatever I was doing and actually started listening to the sermon. I noticed other students in front of me with their heads lower, maybe praying the chapel sermon would get over or maybe sleeping. No, no one would sleep during chapel. Would they? :D
Anyway Sumner was starting to get on students who were not on fire for God. He was stating that instead of them being in their dorms have their bull sessions they should be out witnessing, etc.
Except for one problem. Sumner got the bull part of bull session correct, it was the other part of the phase he didn't. Needless to say he said that other part of the word and he didn't stop or slow down.
Well as soon as he said the no no word, every head in front of me that was down, immediately popped up and neighbors were looking at neighbors with the question on his or her face. Did Sumner really say that?
Needless to say, the student body was attentive for the rest of the chapel service that day! :D
Last edited by 4everfsu on July 18th, 2006, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
People have for years asked me, my father and my grandfather is we are related to Sumner Wemp. If they were to think for a moment, they would realize how stupid the question really is.

Here is Sumner's website:

http://www.sumnerwemp.com/
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]