The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It looks like we missed facing our old coach by one year.
Rocket Football Announces Staff Changes

By Brian Nowicki
Rocket Digest Managing Editor
Posted Mar 14, 2008

Earlier today Head Coach Tom Amstutz and the University of Toledo announced the promotion of Chris Hedden to Offensive Coordinator and the addition of three coaches to the staff. Current assistant coach Andy Boyd has also moved from safeties coach to defensive backs coach.
Hired as the new quarterbacks coach is Ken Karcher. Karcher has 16 years of experience as either a head coach, offensive coordinator, or quarterbacks coach. He was the head coach of the Liberty Flames from 2000 through 2005, before working as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fellowship Christian High school in Roswell, GA the last two seasons. He also served as the school's athletic director.

Karcher was also the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe from 1997 through 2000, while holding the same positions at the University of Pittsburgh from 1993 through 1996 and the Orlando Thunder of the Arena Football League in 1992.
Click Here for Full Story
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
Good riddance.

Went from an awful College coach, to a HS OC and QB coach? Hope it was a big HS. Now he's back to a D-1 job? Toledo must be rebuilding.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Come on, guys. Take it easy on Coach Karcher. He may not have done a bang up job while on the mountain but by all indications he's a quality man. I for one wish him nothing but the best up in Toledo.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
no kidding people chill out!! good for KK. though he did not get it done on the field, he was a good man.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Good for him...in all honesty he's a GREAT man...just wasnt a great head coach...i'm sure he's a great assistant coach where he wont have to motivate...but man he brought in good character players also...I've always said he's make a great CEO of a large company...he's that smart...guess he still wants the football thing though
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like a good gig for KK. I wish him the best. Maybe he can be a great witness in that locker room!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Good for KK. I know that he has been through alot spiritually and professionally in the last few years. Unfortunately, (Tongue in cheeck) God likes to take us through valley's sometimes (I am sure I read that somewhere in the Bible) before he blesses us. I am sure he will do a great job, although I am not sure moving to the city of TOLEDO can be considered a step up LOL (Insert Max Klinger joke here)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to Coach Karcher. :fbplayer
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I am sure he will do a great job, although I am not sure moving to the city of TOLEDO can be considered a step up LOL (Insert Max Klinger joke here)
What? No John Denver reset? Your Old hag status is slipping. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well he will be leavin Ga On A Jet Plane, don't know when he'll be back again......
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Did anyone notice that Toledo's motto is "Building Champions"?

Here is what the University of Toledo's website has to say about their new QB coach:
Toledo’s new quarterbacks coach, Ken Karcher, has 16 years of experience as either head coach, offensive coordinator or QB coach. He was the head coach at Liberty from 2000-05, helping guide the Flames from Division I-AA to Division I-A status in 2002. Prior to his stint at Liberty, Karcher was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the Rhein Fire of NFL-Europe (1997-2000); the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at the University of Pittsburgh (1993-96); and the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Orlando Thunder of the Arena Football League (1992).

Out of Shaler Area High School in Glenshaw, PA, Karcher played college football at Notre Dame before transferring to Tulane, where he finished out his collegiate playing career. Karcher played briefly in the NFL with the Denver Broncos, backing up John Elway in Super Bowl XXII.

The past two years, Karcher has been the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Fellowship Christian High School in Roswell, GA, as well as serving as assistant athletic director and then athletic director for the school.

"I think Ken is tremendous person and a terrific football coach," said Amstutz. "He brings a huge amount of experience and expertise to the quarterback position. I think our quarterbacks will benefit greatly from his knowledge."
I never got the memo that we have been I-A in football since 2002. :dontgetit

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.db ... ID=1412132
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
I think it's great that someone is hiring Karcher. Every dollar some employer gives him is one less dollar we have to pay him, as stated by the terms of his severance.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
Actualy, LU stopped paying him when he took the HS coaching job. The contract called for a cease payment whenever he took another coaching job. This is another example of what a top notch guy he is. He could have sat back and let the money roll in for four more years, but he took a job for a lot less money at a small christian HS untill he landed his next college job. I hope he is extremely successful at Toledo and eventualy becomes a head coach again. He is a great guy, don't take that away from him. He just couldn't put up the wins at LU.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Champion, if that's true (and I'm not saying it's not), I think I would have volunteered as a Christian high school coach and still stayed on LU's payroll, if it was a guaranteed contract.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Champion, if that's true (and I'm not saying it's not), I think I would have volunteered as a Christian high school coach and still stayed on LU's payroll, if it was a guaranteed contract.
Hmmmmm.......what does that say about your character? :woohoo

While it certainly would have been an option for him to do something like that (volunteering), if the words of Champion are true, that is a character call.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Champion, if that's true (and I'm not saying it's not), I think I would have volunteered as a Christian high school coach and still stayed on LU's payroll, if it was a guaranteed contract.
Same here. When they decided to get rid of him he was fully within his rights to get paid the entirety of his contract. Lucky for LU he didn't do that.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
http://www.freep.com/article/20090110/S ... assistants+

Hired as offensive coordinator at Easten Michigan.

EMU's English hires top assistants

Sherm Lewis' son is a coordinator
FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES • January 10, 2009

New Eastern Michigan coach Ron English hired Ken Karcher as his offensive coordinator and Eric Lewis as defensive coordinator on Friday.

Karcher was the quarterbacks coach at Toledo this season and was the head coach at Liberty in 2000-05. He played at Notre Dame and Tulane and in the NFL for the Denver Broncos. He also has coached at North Texas, Pittsburgh and in the World League and NFL Europe.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:http://www.freep.com/article/20090110/S ... assistants+

Hired as offensive coordinator at Easten Michigan.

EMU's English hires top assistants

Sherm Lewis' son is a coordinator
FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES • January 10, 2009

New Eastern Michigan coach Ron English hired Ken Karcher as his offensive coordinator and Eric Lewis as defensive coordinator on Friday.

Karcher was the quarterbacks coach at Toledo this season and was the head coach at Liberty in 2000-05. He played at Notre Dame and Tulane and in the NFL for the Denver Broncos. He also has coached at North Texas, Pittsburgh and in the World League and NFL Europe.
I will take the UNDER on every EMU game in 09.
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
I wish him and his family the best.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]