The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sid has entered the ranks of minor league coaches.
Spikes 2008 Coaching Staff Announced
01/15/08 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) State College Spikes

The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced the coaching staffs for each of their minor league affiliates for the 2008 season. For the third consecutive year, a new face will lead the State College Spikes.

Veteran Brad Fischer will assume the managerial duties for the Spikes in 2008 after spending the previous 29 seasons in the Oakland organization, including the last 12 at the major league level as both a bullpen coach and first base coach. Joining Fischer on the Spikes bench will be returning pitching coach Wilson Alvarez and new hitting coach Sid Bream. Bream is well-known for his 12 seasons as a major league player, including six with the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1985-90.
Bream, 47, begins his first professional coaching assignment after an outstanding major league playing career that spanned over a decade. Remembered most by Pittsburgh fans for scoring the series winning run against the Pirates in game seven of the 1992 National League Championship Series as a member of the Atlanta Braves, Bream's best years came as a member of the black and gold, playing six years with the Pirates.

A native of Carlisle, PA, Bream was originally drafted in the second round of the 1981 draft by the Los Angeles out of Liberty University in Virginia. After playing parts of three seasons with the Dodgers, Bream was traded along with Cecil Espy and R.J. Reynolds to the Pirates midway through the 1985 season in exchange for third baseman Bill Madlock.

Bream was an important part of the resurgence of the Pirates in the late 1980's and was with the Buccos in 1990 when they won their first of three straight National League Eastern Division crowns.

In a Pirates uniform, Bream hit 57 career home runs with 293 RBIs in 643 games. Bream still holds the club record for most assists in one season by a first baseman (166) which he set during the 1986 campaign.

After the 1990 season, Bream signed as a free agent with the Atlanta Braves before hooking on with the Houston Astros in 1994, which was his last season in the big leagues.
Click Here for Full Story
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
From the 3rd Rate baseball franchise in the ATL ....
Where are they now? Sid Bream
First baseman of 'Slide' fame focused on family, coaching

By Ryan Lavner / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- Former Braves first baseman Sid Bream said without hesitation that he launched a successful career off The Slide.

You remember: Game 7; 1992 National League Championship Series; Barry Bonds firing home from left field; a lumbering Bream eluding the sweeping tag.

"In all truthfulness," Bream said, "there's that one play and that's a great thing. But the overall time I was in Atlanta and watching a team go from last place to first place, watching their minds change and watching the city come to life was such an exciting time.

"Yes, there's the play. But it was a platform for me to do a lot of great things."
The article references Michael & Tyler and their LU ties.

Click Here for Full Story
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sid's middle son, Tyler, 18, received a baseball scholarship to attend Liberty University, Sid's alma mater, in the fall.

"He's really excited about it," Sid said. "Seeing some of the talent in this organization, there's no doubt my son could be playing here now. ... Who knows where my life would have been without going to Liberty, and I'm glad that he'll be under that same umbrella for several years."

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll:

Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]