The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Wayne Lance!!!! Proably of the the funniest person's/coahes/teachers that I have ever met... I miss Lance, but he is doing well in Kokomo H.S (5A) 50 miles shy of South Bend in Indiana
By Thelaxman
I had to comment on this. Ok, going way back to the 1984-85 School year there was a Guy in Dorm 23 second Floor named Vic Kiel from Ohio. He was a real mess. If anyone remembers this guy drop me a PM. Some of the things he did I can't even talk about on this Board.

That same year on Dorm 23 Third Floor I lived down the Hall from Michael Tate and he would always be singing in the Hallway in the early morning when we are all trying to get some sleep.
I love Michael but he sure was a Chracter when he was a Student.

God Bless,

Thelaxman
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I have lived on a hall with a certain BJWIlliams...LOL jk :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Funny, he was about to say the same thing about you.

:wink:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I have lived on a hall with a certain BJWIlliams...LOL jk :lol:
Yes...the stories they could tell...unfortunately...
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Worst of all I have known both of them for a whille!!!!!!!!!!!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:Worst of all I have known both of them for a whille!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep :twisted:
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Didn't realize there were two Vangy's in Light group-pic. in 1987 yr.bk. shows V Long in 3rd row; I know the other one isn't her. BTW, this thread is for funny stories as well as strange people. Sly is on top of ladder pg.210-as Pres. of International Religious Broadcasters, I can see why they put him at top but it's harder to see. However, the pic. on pg. 341 is very clear-so serious looking.Same bk. pg.289 is Toby McKeehan.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Maybe I shoulda previewed that one- wasn't implying anything by mentioning Sly pics. in that order; just responding to comment o lumping Vangy in w/ Coop
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Careful now ... no one is supposed to still have copies of the Selah of that vintage.

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:Worst of all I have known both of them for a whille!!!!!!!!!!!
That you have ol boy. GMTM remember when I covered Staunton River vs. Amherst County 2 years ago during HS football season?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm all for instituting a mandatory minimum age requirement of 30 for "Old Hag" status :lol:
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Careful now ... no one is supposed to still have copies of the Selah of that vintage.

I can get my hands on 86/87 all the way through 89/90. In fact, my wife's in the 'Burg today and tomorrow-- maybe she'll have to haul them back home.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'd be interested in 88-89 and 89-90.

PM me.
By Big -e-
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone from the old guard remember Robert Ash? He was my roommate soph. yr. in Dorm #25. Sly, you may remember him since you were on the same floor that year. "Unique" would be an understatement......
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I definitely remember Robert. He worked at WLBU radio as well. I always hated that people lumped Robert in with Cooper Taylor. There couldn't have been a nicer guy on campus than Robert. Anybody know whatever happened with him?
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Some stories

1. My wife who was on the Sounds got fed up with SAGA food one Sunday evening. On Sunday nights they would serve these grotesque fried egg on muffin sandwiches. For some reason the egg white would turn a greenish hue. She took a napkin and wrote "I do not eat green eggs and ham - Sam I am", wrapped one of the eggs in it and pinned it to a bulletin board in the old cafeteria (pre-RoT days). Others followed suit but they pinned the egg itself to the board. Eventually, she had to go an personally apologize to the SAGA managers.

2. Apparently there was a night ( I missed this but heard the story from an R.A.) when a couple who could no longer contain their passions and were warming up for their wedding night, decided to use a picnic table in the ravine (pre-Vines' center). The table was clearly visible from all the ravine-side windows in Dorm 3 and the whole dorm lined up at the windows to watch, RAs included. As the story goes one RA looked at the other and said "which one of us is going out there to get their IDs?"

3. There was also the night that the football dorm decided to have a toga party outside after curfew - this was when the football dorm was on the circle next to Dorm 3. LUPD were a bit intimidated by this exhibition of willful wantoness.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
great stories! the ravine story is priceless!
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
More stories from the good old days - in Dorm 3 we played a fun prank on CFAWers. It was called The Five Man Lift. We had one really tall, skinny guy who was over 6 foot 5. Lets see if I can describe this accurately. You lay three people down on the floor parallel to one another - the two outside guys (Dorm 3ers) had their heads at the same end. The prankee/CFAWer had his head between their feet and his feet between their heads. Next two guys (more Dorm 3ers) laid across this pile - one at the feet end and one across the CFAWers chest one at the opposite end . These two are perpendicular to the other three. So the prankee is trapped - he cannot move nor see what's happening. The story the CFAWers were told was that the tall guy can lift all 5 of these guys due to the physics of the situation. So tall guy stood in the middle, working his feet between gaps in the mass of bodies on the floor, the crowd gathered, cheering and getting worked into a frenzy. (This usually took place at the Thursday Hall meeting which occurred during CFAW.) The "lifter" reached down and grabbed the CFAWer's belt or waist band - tugs on it as if to warm up and then loads the guys pants with either shaving cream or warm water or very, very, very cold water or ice. We humiliated many a CFAWer this way - I'm sorry that's just not right, Lord forgive me, and please be with the pygmies in New Guinea.

My wife tells of one chapel service just before Christmas break in which one of the football players received an award. He remained on the platform for the rest of the service. After the presentation and just before Rev. Falwell's message one of the more famous female soloists sang "Oh Holy Night." The good Reverend decided to make one comment before he started his sermon. He looked at the football player and said - if you married her she could sing that for you every morning!" Chapel almost ended early that day.

Of course there was also the time one of the faculty preached ( you wouldn't believe from what Department he hailed - still a good friend of mine) a sermon on dating. He told the young women that if a guy was pressuring her to have intercourse - she should tell him to stick it in his ear!
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Two words.

Pottery Guy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've tried to forget. :lol:

My buddy Rowdy Joe runs into Frank every now & then in South Jersey.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I was at homecoming with my brother this weekend (he graduated in 1993 from Liberty and I came in the Fall of 1993 thanks to BR Lankin) and saw Cooper Taylor. My brother pointed him out to me and was telling me about him. They would call him Steve (I guess there was a popular musician named Steve Taylor), and he would reply "My name's not Steve, YOU NERD". My brother didn't know him at all, but claimed everyone knew who he was.

Does anyone remember Brother Joe? He was on my hall my freshman year (Dorm 10 1993-1994). That kid was ALWAYS in my room. I'm not sure if he passed a class, but he knew EVERYONE for about 3 sememsters. I don't remember seeing him after that!

My buddies lit the spirit rock on fire as well. Took a 5 gallon gas can and ran up to the highway after they got it lit.

I also noticed this weekend that they still had the Peter Pan and Captain Hook spray painted on the ground in front of the exit of Marriot.

Also, they had EVERY yearbook for sale for just $5 a piece or 4 for $15 this past weekend. I bought 5 yearbooks. I got 1996-2000. I thought it was a GREAT idea!!!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Missed the yearbooks :x

Saw Cooper :) and he still looks the same!

had forgotten the "Steve" line, man that was funny!
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Thelaxman wrote:Yes Vangy,

Well you guys may not know this but Vangy is from my hometown of Westminster, Maryland and went to my old Church, the Church of the Open Door a Hyper FundI Church. I had thought I had seen the last of her when I gradurated in 1987 but I kept seeing her in Malls in the Baltimore area. You can't miss Vangy. Then in 1990 I went back to Grad School at Towson University near Baltimore after I got married and guess who was working on her Masters at Towson. V-A-N-G-Y. I saw her often in the Communications building. I did my best to avoid her but it was like reliving another nightmare that I thought I left in Lynchburg when I gradurated in 1987.
OK -- I should know you. I was at Open Door until we moved in '92, and I was at Liberty from 86-89.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Saw him a few times-started telling my husband who abruptly yelled out,"heah, Cooper...";after a quick hi I finished expaining. Would people like that respond to some "social tough love"-kinda like alcoholics who get turned around...? Not everyone learns abt. social cues due to dysfunctional home lives....

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.