The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I'd like to hear some stories about strange students you all knew while at LU. The story about the guy in the Ninja costume got me to thinking about strange things I had witnessed students do while at LU. Just a few things I remember. In no particular order: 1. When the power went out at about 10 p.m. (Need I say more) Students went nuts this included some streaking--at least that was the rumor. 2. Dropping water balloons out of third story dorm windows onto unsuspecting students. 3. Okay I did this next one. Taking a mirror and shining the sun in people's eyes as they walked down or up the sidewalk in front of the "Rot." This used to drive them crazy. 4. The guy that walked behind the convocation speaker and fell down the steps. 5. This guy was not a student, I think his name was Bruce. He used to walk into classes and convocation and sit next to random people. He carried around a notebook and drew pictures of snakes. He would also attend church at Thomas Road. 6. Didn't someone steal the spirit rock. 7. I had a guy in my speech class that always delivered sermons. He tried to sound like TD Jakes.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Two words for the old hags on the board .... Cooper Taylor.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The girl that skates everywhere. She has those shoes with a wheel on them and never walks, always skates.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Her name is Julie Vader...she's a pretty cool girl if you talk to her. And to save some people the trouble, I'm going to list myself on here as well.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The kid that drives the hearse. It's just weird he drives it.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Is the kid with the hearse still there? There is too many funny stories that come to mind. Was anyone there in 2001 Spring Evangelism class with Danny Lovett. The school was having a huge problem with rats around the campus and someone brought a bunch of them in a backpat during the one of the exams ( i think it was for the final) and kicked over the bag and they all ran out. Some random kid took one of the Jesus is Awsome workbooks and whacked one of them across the room into the wall and yelled Jesus is Awsome!!! You had to be there to think it was funny.
Supposedly, there was a huge food fight at the Rot freshman year. I question it though. I tried to stay away from the Rot as much as possible.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
1. How many times could one ring the Liberty Bell before the LUPD came calling. (Track team holds the record, I think)

2. Power Outage on the Hill: Some dude commandeered the LU Football Gator and went on a "low speed" chase with LUPD on foot and popped it up onto a pipe in the ground. Hilarious.

3. Actually that guy who fell was a former student; he married a girl from one of my classes after he left.

4. Watching two girls slave over the artwork on the Spirit Rock at curfew on the way back to the dorm, only to wake up the next morning to see completely different artwork on it.

5. Less than stellar moments in LU history: Convo and B-Flat and the dude who brought his Monkey show (heart in the right place, wrong demographic though)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I heard about a time at convo where someone dropped a glass bottle and it went rolling down all of the steps.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
PeterParker... it sounds like we went to LU around the same time... those were all great memories...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Two words for the old hags on the board .... Cooper Taylor.
just picked myself up off the floor. Old Coop- man, THAT takes me back.

ok- I gotta go w/ my old standby: Homer Blass.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
late 90's here.

6. Cafe Coffee or whatever it was called causing a people-jam in the old school Demoss.
6b. The old "wall sit" in Demoss.

7. P. Guillerman mysteriously disappearing from LU consciousness.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Yeah Pete... '96-'01 for me
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Anyone remember Kathy Pate always illegally parking her Corvette all over campus? She used to park it in the quad area during chapel. There seemed to be no retribution from security because of her father's position on the board. One night someone stole her license plate and put it on an ole jalopy of a pick-up truck. The thing was ugly. Then late at night he pulled the truck into the grass in front of her dorm. People were coming out of their dorms. Security was having a fit.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Your food fight story reminds me off this one.

The hockey team had someone shut off all the lights in marriot during dinner and they threw trays full of food all over the baseball team and they bolted out the emergency doors. The lights came back on and all the commotion was over, and there was the baseball team just sitting there, covered in food not knowing what happened. It was a thing of beauty.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I remember Kathy parking the 'Vetter wherever she liked. But I hadn't heard that story. Priceless.

As for the hockey team's antics ... that was pretty cool. Play Hockey
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I got some funny Homer Blass stories from last year..... unfortunately they involve athletes, so I will not mention names, but I have never seen somebody over 6-8 stand in the middle of class and basically wave at him amd walk out of class and he still didn't say anything... I couldn't believe it and this happended almost every class!!!!!
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
my first year at LU, I had a roommate who would come back at night all fired up....red puffy eyes, stumbling, and smelled like pot. Being the guy that I am, I asked him, "Trey, where were you tonight?" He told me the Vines Center. I asked him why in the Vines? He said I just got a souvenir. I played it off. Then the next week, I noticed that I was missing some CD's and some money. So I snooped around and lo and behold, I find this Basketball. I take a glance at the ball and there is some writing on the ball. (This is spring of 1996) The writing has the Big South Logo and the final score of the LU/Campbell championship game on it. So, needless to say, Trey only spent two more nights on campus.

Others would be living in dorm 2, we'd have the super slingshots out of the windows pelting cars, until we happened to hit Dean Hine's car by mistake. Dwayne Carson would call us upstairs and tell us to throw water out the windows on unsuspecting people. Then of course people coming out of the washroom getting hit by buckets of water was fun too.

Last story, as an RA, I had to do room checks at night. One night I heard this huge rattle outside the window. I didn't pay any attention to it at first, but when I checked this one room, the window was open. on the backside of the second story of dorm 2, one of the guys had let his girlfriend cling to the ledge outside, while I did roomchecks. I asked her if she'd be willing to fall for no reps or come back in and deal with the consequences. She chose to come back in, and then I being the nice guy, asked the guys in the room if they knew who the girl was. All 3 of them said "no". My spider senses told me otherwise when I looked at pictures of one of the guys,strangely enough with his girlfriend that looked a lot like this girl. I just told her that she had abouth 2 minutes to say her goodbyes and hope that nobody sees her leaving the dorm.

sorry, I couldn't resist....I had some idiot on one of my halls flicking pennies....one just happened to get stuck between his bed and the plug socket. Late on a sunday afternoon, fire department shows to put out a nice little fire in dorm 14.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Two words for the old hags on the board .... Cooper Taylor.
ROFLOL!!!!!!!!

I was going to mention him. Soon as I read the thread title, I thought "Cooper HAS to be on that one!"

I remember some great snowball fights in chapel, back when it was still called chapel.

One memory of finals -- sitting outside my wife's class, which was across from the studio where JF taped his show at the time. He came out and said hi, asked if I was waiting for anyone in particular. I pointed her out to him, and he stuck his head in the door and said "Hurry up, young lady -- your man's out here waiting on you!" or something like that. She turned several shades of bright red.

Then, of course, there was the time I locked myself out of my room (in dorm 7-Up). Got in through the ceiling -- and fell through. We had a gaping hole in the ceiling for the rest of the semester (only a few weeks). Wonderful, freshmany thing to do.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:Is the kid with the hearse still there? There is too many funny stories that come to mind. Was anyone there in 2001 Spring Evangelism class with Danny Lovett. The school was having a huge problem with rats around the campus and someone brought a bunch of them in a backpat during the one of the exams ( i think it was for the final) and kicked over the bag and they all ran out. Some random kid took one of the Jesus is Awsome workbooks and whacked one of them across the room into the wall and yelled Jesus is Awsome!!! You had to be there to think it was funny.
Supposedly, there was a huge food fight at the Rot freshman year. I question it though. I tried to stay away from the Rot as much as possible.
Ahh yes, Ethan (the guy that drives the hearse) lived in 31 with me my first year at Liberty and we were in East 5 together last year (he was on 2nd floor I was on 4th)

ANd about Julie, She does wear those shoes with the wheels but most of the time when I see her she is all dressed up with her cape like she is going to the opera or something
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
For those that attended up through '03 I believe, you may recall a girl that at campus church would always get in the main aisle and dance and sing and carryon. She kinda scared me at first. It was like she was trying doing some type of sign language that involved twirling and such. I came to realize her name was either Beverly or Bethany Badger if I remember correctly.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
yeah I remember her. I found her on facebook and it says "If you went to Liberty, you probably know me as the girl who danced during campus church."
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Ha, that's awesome. I heard that she went here for 6 years. Don't know if it's true.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
If it's the girl with the really long blond hair... I remember her. During the late 90's I remember her down stage left below the bleachers going crazy. Somewhat distracting but she was able to worship how she wanted... and the rest of us just had to focus more on worship and less on looking at people...
By Wolverine
Registration Days
ok I guess I would have to list my half of the dorm last semester. We called ourselves the dark-side and here are just a few of the stunts we pulled.

1. Slip-n-slide on the hall
2. Jousting with toy lightsabers and skateboards
3. stair boarding (using a deck from a skate board and riding it down the stairs on the hill)
4. Launching fruit at other dorms windows after curfew with a three man water ballon launcher
5. using the same launcher and launching tennis balls down the hall at eachother durring CFAW weekend
6. Mini-golf on the hall
7. dodgeball on the hall
8. almost getting arrested by LUPD for a prank approved by the RD

And that is just a few.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I participated in two of those and I wasn't even a student last semester.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.