The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Prank approved by the RD.... sounds like the darkside... :oops:
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
The dancing girl was known around campus as the swan queen. I think she graduated in 2004. she seemed nice though besides the dancing routine.

5-2 had the weirdest and craziest people the two years i was up there. I think the school would purposely not house CFAWS up there because I think the hall had a total of 5 CFAWS for those two years I was there. Wu and the bald headed dean of men were up there quite a bit.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
There are a lot of stories, but I'll never forget being at a baseball game and I see this guy sitting on the hill doing play by play to himself...I thought it was rather odd and gave a quick chuckle and the next thing I know at the next game he's on the radio doing the game! I dont know who this guys is but it was funny b/c one game I was thinking wow, and the next game I was thinking WOW! LoL...it was great :lol:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:The dancing girl was known around campus as the swan queen. I think she graduated in 2004. she seemed nice though besides the dancing routine.

5-2 had the weirdest and craziest people the two years i was up there. I think the school would purposely not house CFAWS up there because I think the hall had a total of 5 CFAWS for those two years I was there. Wu and the bald headed dean of men were up there quite a bit.
Yeah, I knew the dancing girl too Bethany Badger...nice gal. And she knew sign language too
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:There are a lot of stories, but I'll never forget being at a baseball game and I see this guy sitting on the hill doing play by play to himself...I thought it was rather odd and gave a quick chuckle and the next thing I know at the next game he's on the radio doing the game! I dont know who this guys is but it was funny b/c one game I was thinking wow, and the next game I was thinking WOW! LoL...it was great :lol:
As you observed in teh other thread my friend...that person was me. I use it as practice for when I end up on the radio. I would do it at every LU sporting event I go to. I would even do it when I was sitting with the band at football games
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've been there, BJ. Back when I was doing the occasional game for student radio I would warm up recording into a cassette deck (talk avout dating yourself). It was great practice for when I went on air.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Hold My Own wrote:There are a lot of stories, but I'll never forget being at a baseball game and I see this guy sitting on the hill doing play by play to himself...I thought it was rather odd and gave a quick chuckle and the next thing I know at the next game he's on the radio doing the game! I dont know who this guys is but it was funny b/c one game I was thinking wow, and the next game I was thinking WOW! LoL...it was great :lol:
As you observed in teh other thread my friend...that person was me. I use it as practice for when I end up on the radio. I would do it at every LU sporting event I go to. I would even do it when I was sitting with the band at football games
I was talking to a friend of yours and he said you even do it while playing Madden! Practice makes perfect....I've listened to you before on the radio and your much better than GMTM.....maybe I'll see him at the cage doing play by play for all the pick up games....we'll see, I dont think he has the heart!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Wow...uhh...thanks :oops: :D

I started doing that back when I was youg. I would watch a game, pick up on who the players were almost on the fly (if you see me at basketball baseball or softball games I will usually have some form of information in front of me telling me who the players are) and then just go.

I consider the fact that you think I am better than GMTM to be very high praise because he is the one that gave me my first opportunity to do live sports almost 2 years ago and a lot of stuff I learned from watching and listening to him
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I've been there, BJ. Back when I was doing the occasional game for student radio I would warm up recording into a cassette deck (talk avout dating yourself). It was great practice for when I went on air.
Funny thing is when I was practicing doing basketball this past season I would have a little tape recorder and I would talk into that while I was watching the games
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
When I was in Dorm 7 we had a guy that would write people up even though he wasn't a RA. He had some type of community arrest piece of paper or something. Really annoying.Just a real killjoy. He and his roommate were in bed my 10!!!! So any noise after 10 and you were in trouble. Well my roommate one night decided to bang on his door about 1am. So he went to his room and came running back. A few minutes later a freshman from the room next to us was in our room, so we convinced him to go bang on his door. He did but apparently the guy was waiting for us. As soon as he started knocking the dude came out of his from chasing the poor freshman, It was hillarious. The next night we got smart and filled one of those huge trash cans with water and leaned it against the door. Well his room was pretty much flooded.

Also one year I was a RAT on a hall and this dude had a full size Fridge in his dorm!! He hardly had anything else in the room except the fridge. I don't think this guy was all there.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
I believe it was around 2000 when we had the "Jr Unibomber" It was right before Christmas break and LUPD/LPD/ATF or someone found a bunch of explosives for letter and pipe bombs in this guys dorm room with a list of names. I don't think he had anything against shepherds!! It made a blub in USA TODAY where they list what is happening state by state. Anyone else remeber that one?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Ok, I have to share a couple of stories. 1st one is quick. A couple of my teammates used to get the RA's key and sneak into your room at night about 2 AM and put the vacuum cleaner under your bed and plug it in out in the hall. It would wake anyone up immediately. They never did it to me but I saw them do it to Eduardo Soldesi (7 foot Brazilian)....2nd story is during Christmas break we had a big snow storm and the women's and men's teams were about the only folks on campus. We used to be at the top of the hill in dorm 23 and a few of us were going up the hill (there are steps there now thanks to our dorm walking down the grass and wearing it out) and when we got to the top we decided to throw snow balls at the cars that passed. Not many cars passed but when they did, we lit them up. Well Stephon Leary had a cannon for an arm. He actually made a tear come out of my eye when he it me with a snow ball once. Anyway, Todd Cline, Zach Harris, Steph, me and Rodney Harden all threw our snowballs at the same time and 4 of us said at the same time 'I hit it!' Todd Cline didn't say a word. We look over at him and he is laying in the snow crying! Appearantly his follow thru put him in the line of fire of Stephon's throw and he took it point blank in the ear! We had a game that night and Cline played horrible. He couldn't hear and his whole left ear looked like he had frost bite. It really was histerical to see a 6-9 inch guy laying in the snow crying like a baby!
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
BJ, I remember my freshman year, I was up at David's Place watching UVA play Colorado St. first game of the year, and you were there doing the play by play. Funny that now I know you.
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
Todd Cline was one of a kind. Do you remember when he walked into the locker room and sang "When the Devil Went Down to Georgia"? He walked around the locker room like he was performing, sat on people's laps and sang the entire song. Hysterical.

He also called everyone "bro". After a while we started making fun of him and calling each other bro. Funny thing is that since that time I still use the word, as does Big -e- and so does Scar and my brother. Cline started it.

That guy never met a stranger. I was jealous of him for that. I roomed with him for a year and the stories I could tell. Between the over applied hair gel and the bottles of Halston cologne he went through you could see (his gleaming black hair) or smell him anywhere. You always knew when Todd had been there. I love that guy.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Todd Cline's brother Mark played at Wake Forest and has worked in Richmond for Jeff Capel as an assistant at VCU. Not sure if he is going with Jeff to Oklahoma (is that where Capel ended up?).
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
My dorm chopped down a 30-ft. Christmas tree this past semester and we used it in a Christmas lights competition against E7 and E8...we won. Then E5 stole the tree...grrr. If dorms weren't switching, the E5/E6 rivalry could've developed quite nicely. Oh yeah...anyone remember this past winter when East owned the Circle in a snowball fight and we had LUPD called on us? That was fun.

Finally...yes, I have thrown soap into the fountain, but that was my freshman year when it wasn't an everyday thing like it is now.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It was an everyday thing when I was in school twenty years ago.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:BJ, I remember my freshman year, I was up at David's Place watching UVA play Colorado St. first game of the year, and you were there doing the play by play. Funny that now I know you.
yeah...who knew then that I would be doing sports broadcasting on the radio...
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Freshman year (1993-94, aka The Year They Gave Out the BR Lakin Scholarship and Everyone With A Pulse -- Including Me -- Got In) on 7-2:

* Two Word of Life guys in the next room down building a potato gun and firing spuds out the dorm window across the Ravine in the SH parking lot. When they got bored with that, they filled it w/ shaving cream, then knocked on the door of the most naive freshman you could imagine. When he answered, he and nearly everything in his room were instantly coated in shaving cream.

* Sitting in the hallway on the phone wondering to myself what that banging was in the room across the hall. When the noise stops, the guy comes out and ignores everyone, just beats it to the door. A minute later, his roommate comes out shaking like a leaf. Turned out the first guy just found he'd been suspended from school and trashed the room, even smashing the mirror and shearing off the sink. The reason he was suspended? Allegedly flashing a gun over a foul call in the Cage.

* Wayne Lance, aka future head coach of LCA, aka Uniball, aka Super Naked Man. Wayne was my prayer leader and used to get ready for bed around 9 PM. Unfortunately, Wayne liked to sleep in the nude so, from 9:00 on he would wander the hall wearing only a sleeping bag around his shoulders. He actually defused a couple fistfights in the hallway by simply stepping between combatants, again proving his old adage, "Nobody wants to get in a fight with a naked guy."

* Realizing four years later that, of the 92 guys in that hall, only a dozen of us actually graduated.

* Lovett Lite cruising around campus in his Camaro w/ a blonde skunk stripe through his hair and random members of the Sounds of Liberty. Were any of us surprised it turned out he was gay?

* Spending the night in my girlfriend's dorm room during winter finals (I don't recommend that one).

* The inception of the Spirit Rock.

* Being told how much the school paid for a big rock.

* The first time some daring, adventurous, non-prosecutable students set the Spirit Rock on fire.

* The Ice Storm of January '94. Bad enough that classes were cancelled for nearly a week but also bad enough that you literally could not walk anywhere or do anything. So much boredom and so many injuries. Nearly a fourth of the campus ended up on crutches after that week.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
First year they even had an East Campus (2003/2004)-Texas Hold Em' every night in the RA's quad. And the RA sucked at it too...
By PhiBetaLU
Registration Days
PastorZack wrote:my first year at LU, I had a roommate who would come back at night all fired up....red puffy eyes, stumbling, and smelled like pot. Being the guy that I am, I asked him, "Trey, where were you tonight?" He told me the Vines Center. I asked him why in the Vines? He said I just got a souvenir. I played it off. Then the next week, I noticed that I was missing some CD's and some money. So I snooped around and lo and behold, I find this Basketball. I take a glance at the ball and there is some writing on the ball. (This is spring of 1996) The writing has the Big South Logo and the final score of the LU/Campbell championship game on it. So, needless to say, Trey only spent two more nights on campus.

Others would be living in dorm 2, we'd have the super slingshots out of the windows pelting cars, until we happened to hit Dean Hine's car by mistake. Dwayne Carson would call us upstairs and tell us to throw water out the windows on unsuspecting people. Then of course people coming out of the washroom getting hit by buckets of water was fun too.

Last story, as an RA, I had to do room checks at night. One night I heard this huge rattle outside the window. I didn't pay any attention to it at first, but when I checked this one room, the window was open. on the backside of the second story of dorm 2, one of the guys had let his girlfriend cling to the ledge outside, while I did roomchecks. I asked her if she'd be willing to fall for no reps or come back in and deal with the consequences. She chose to come back in, and then I being the nice guy, asked the guys in the room if they knew who the girl was. All 3 of them said "no". My spider senses told me otherwise when I looked at pictures of one of the guys,strangely enough with his girlfriend that looked a lot like this girl. I just told her that she had abouth 2 minutes to say her goodbyes and hope that nobody sees her leaving the dorm.

sorry, I couldn't resist....I had some idiot on one of my halls flicking pennies....one just happened to get stuck between his bed and the plug socket. Late on a sunday afternoon, fire department shows to put out a nice little fire in dorm 14.
i just wanna say that story about the girl in the window my professor told me.
By PhiBetaLU
Registration Days
Wolverine wrote:ok I guess I would have to list my half of the dorm last semester. We called ourselves the dark-side and here are just a few of the stunts we pulled.

1. Slip-n-slide on the hall
2. Jousting with toy lightsabers and skateboards
3. stair boarding (using a deck from a skate board and riding it down the stairs on the hill)
4. Launching fruit at other dorms windows after curfew with a three man water ballon launcher
5. using the same launcher and launching tennis balls down the hall at eachother durring CFAW weekend
6. Mini-golf on the hall
7. dodgeball on the hall
8. almost getting arrested by LUPD for a prank approved by the RD

And that is just a few.
I am the official leader of the Dark-side. I caused more problems for my RA's than anyone else in our little group. I ran fro mthe cops that night of that prank, and then they knocked on my door to tell me to come out or get even in more trouble. He didn't mention how I had an ename tube which i rigged up on my ra's door so that when they opened it it squeezed everywhere.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
I remember Cooper too. Do any hags remember very outgoing girl with big smile and always saying hello...? I think her name was Vangi.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yes, we all remember Vangie. She was another one-of-a-kind but I hate to lump here anywhere near Cooper Taylor. I worked with Vangie at the campus radio station.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I grew up with Vangie, went to church with her family. She was the exact same way at home, too. Seems like I remember hearing that she was still in the 'Burg -- is that true?
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]