The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Big -e-
Registration Days Posts
.........We lost.

Old School, help me out.....

March 4, 1988....Liberty Gym. 5,000 Strong.... The Last NCAA Division II game in school history.

M-DAC Semi-Final vs. The Mount

Score at half: LU - 26 , Mount - 52

75 Second-half points, but the comeback fell short.

FINAL: Mount - 104, LU - 101.

It's still, to this day, the best game that I have EVER seen in person.....(1992 Duke-UK Game best game ever on TV I've seen, but that's fodder for another thread....HHHMMMMM.....)

Any memories?

POP QUIZ:(FOR EVERYONE EXCEPT SCAR!!!!)

Who took the final shot of that game vs. Mount? (Final shot in D-II History for LU)

With that.....Good Night & Good Morning......
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Was it Pearce? Then again since you left Scar out of the equation it probably was him. But I'll bet whoever took it got some stares from Bailey when it didn't fall.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
That game vs MT. was one of 4 games vs them that I will never forget. The first was Fred Morgan's Miracle on the mount. We trailed big in that one.

The second was at Mt and it was their 1st game in their new facility and we trailed big again and we came back and had the shot to tie and a soph guard from Philly took a 24 footer that rimmed out. I got stares from coach Meyer for a week for 1 having the gonads to take that shot with Jim Pierce in the corner wide open and 2 that I missed!

3rd is my coming out party as a soph when we trailed big to Mount and I was a soph and my stat line read, 6-8 fg, 6-8 ft. 19 points, 19 minutes, game winning layup! The headline read SCARBOROUGH SCORCHES MOUNT and I had a picture of me with my Philly bowl cut in the paper.

4th is the game -e- mentioned above. What a rivalry. They were always in the top 10 in division II and the 1 year I played division II ball (with a division 1 non conference schedule) we made memories to last a lifetime. Don't know why we always trailed big to them but we always were able to come back....I do know who took that last shot in the 104-101 game and it was easily the most exciting game I have ever been in and lost. None of you guys will get the answer to this question though because everyone of significance to you guys was on the bench having fouled out. That was coach Meyer's secret weapon vs. Mt. We would start fouling at the 12 minute mark of the game to maximize our possessions. It was the only way we could get stops I think because they ran an offense that was amazing! I remember Richardson, Leary, Scarborough, Alston and Cunningham all had double figures. I think 3 of us had 16 points each and BA had about 25 but I can't remember for sure. What a game. I think even if I gave the initials of the guy that took that last shot (from the same spot on the floor that Morgan's Miracle took place mind you), that you guys would still not get it probably.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
I think this was the game where Phelan put in the really short point guard in the second half to hog the ball. He was really fast and hard to foul. Real cocky. I think he hit some key foul shots at the end that hurt us.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Bald Spot, that little point guard was 5-8 Cliff Warren. Cliff and I used to talk all the time when I was coaching at Liberty. He was at Mount then moved to Sienna with Paul Hewett and now is at Georgia Tech as an assistant! We used to talk about Mount Saint Mary's vs Liberty games all the time. Good guy. He could be a head coach some day if he has not been hired away already.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Guys, this is great stuff. But I'm moving it to the Old Folks Home where it fits a little better.
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
Big -e-

You know I know this answer because I was feeding this guy shooting passes all week. And he didn't miss all week. When Dave Ward entered the game due to atrition via fouls there were fewer than 15 seconds remaining. I remember patting him on the shoulder and telling him he had the green light. H e was nervous. As the clock ticked down he received the ball in the corner just in front of our bench. The release wasn't good. It wasn't his normal releasem, but the shot looked good. As it rimmed off the back iron 5000 hoarse Flame Fans let out a collective sigh.

For me also it was the best game I've ever seen. Chaz Richardson absolutely filled it up in the second half. And BA did his thing. I'm sure Scar did something and before long he'll tell us about it. Duke/UK was on a bigger stage and the stakes were higher but it comes in second to this game.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I know I did my share of scoring that game but it was just 16 points. The press we put on them produced some steals and assists from me but mostly it was fun just to watch that lead come down in bunches and the energy and qround swell of the crowd was simply amazing. There was not an empty seat in the building that night and everyone was on their feet waiting to explode if Dave Ward would have sunk that shot. Of course we we have had no one to play in OT but what a game. I am surprised I don't have that one on tape. I am pretty sure those tapes are long gone by now but I may stop by the basketball office to see what they have. So the Answer obviously is Dave Ward. He could have gone down in history if he had made that shot.
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Bald Spot, that little point guard was 5-8 Cliff Warren. Cliff and I used to talk all the time when I was coaching at Liberty. He was at Mount then moved to Sienna with Paul Hewett and now is at Georgia Tech as an assistant! We used to talk about Mount Saint Mary's vs Liberty games all the time. Good guy. He could be a head coach some day if he has not been hired away already.
Cliff Warren is the head coach at Jacksonville University.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Big E, you should know better than to start a thread like that: SCAR won't get any work done now. He'll probably have to go home at lunch to get his scrapbook so he can quote us press clippings from the game. :P Play Basketball
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
My favorite headline after a Mt. Liberty game:

SCARBOROUGH SCORCHES MOUNT
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:My favorite headline after a Mt. Liberty game:

hahah yesssss what i would give just to see that article! SLY GO GET IT! hahah
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
3 weeks between posts on here, are all of us old hags losing our memory that fast?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
TylerBakersGonnaBGreat wrote:
SCAR wrote:My favorite headline after a Mt. Liberty game:

hahah yesssss what i would give just to see that article! SLY GO GET IT! hahah
All you have to do is ask to see the scrap book when you are at the house...Instead all you do is ask for cookies. Have you seen the ETSU Dunk poster yet? JDUB and Bryson got to see it this weekend. Changed their lives forever :P 8) :wink:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
And another thing. What are you doing hanging out in the old folks home anyway TBGBGBGBGBGBG? :P
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
i can't speak for bryson, but i am DEFINTILY changed forever..
By BrysOn_G
Registration Days Posts
no doubt scar... i'm changed. i plan to look on ebay for another copy of the photo in hope of getting it autographed by the high-flyer himself.

8)
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
Scar - when we played VT in 92 were you still there or had you graduated? Memory is getting fuzzy.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I was done by the time they played VT in 92. I did get to play against them in 90 when they had Bimbo Coles. He was pretty good to say the least.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Scar, every time I drive to my parents' house in West Virginia, I pass through Bimbo Coles' hometown, and there is a sign on the interstate mentioning that he was an Olympian. What was in like playing against Bimbo Coles, a guy who would later be on the USA Olympic basketball team?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
He was great but I gotta tell ya, he didn't overwhelm Alston or me if I am being honest. There were guys on Virginia Union that made me feel like a JR High ball player but Bimbo was very good. Alston gave him fits I think. Blue Edwards and Bimbo were two of the better athletes we played but neither lit us up. Coach played zone against Bimbo most of the game and we played a box and one vs Blue and I was the one that had to guard Blue. I could stay with him athletically until he jumped. I had a 36 vertical but this dude had to be in the 40's. Bimbo was probably the quickest with the ball I had seen that season. He was like Sean Singletary at UVA in that regard.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
My first thought of best game ever was the LU v Montreat game back in 98. It claimed such good one liners : Asst Coach to JF "Our aim is so bad tonite that if we had been on the Titantic, we would STILL be dry". Asst Coach to tall hot blonde LU Asst. : Her "Are you the head coach?" "No, we go in reverse order of height". Asst Coach to head coach "Why are we going to spend a two hour practice on how to beat a press. LU doesn't really press that much" HC "You never know when they will throw in a wrinkle" (LU NEVER pressed) To the clock operator (Vernetta?) "So I take it you have a thing for Jesus?" She was wearing a HUGE I Love Jesus broach> The LU Fans actually cheered when Montreat scored their first basket. The asst Montreat coach ended up sleeping with the Asst LU women's coach. IN the words of Borat "Nicccce"

Or the first LU women's championship game. What a come back and what a way to get a crowd excited after the air had been let out of the balloon when the men lost. PLUS, that had a HOT looking coach on the sidelines. Don't know what name she was going by at that point :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I felt greasy just reading that, PH

welcome back
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Probably all the hair gel from your Gene Keady comb over
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
nah- spikey now.

gotta buzz it again.
Election 2022 and 2024