The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By grm
Registration Days Posts
I understand that Rob Jackson was given the option to resign, or whatever it's called, and that he is now cleaning out his office. I'm praying for Rob & his family, and that God will lead and bless. I'm sad that a guy with the University for this many years must leave.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
wow.

Hoping he lands back on his feet soon and discovers the rest of God's plan for his life.
Last edited by PAmedic on September 13th, 2007, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:I'm sad that a guy with the University for this many years must leave.
I was sad when he left the first time.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
grm wrote:I'm sad that a guy with the University for this many years must leave.
Care to give me a little interpretation on that?
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
He left the university from 2000-2002 to found the Family for a Lifetime Ministry based out of Wimberly, Texas. The goal of this ministry is to utilize Marriage and Family conference settings to equip people worldwide to become fully committed followers of Christ and build strong Biblical marriages and families.
http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=6920
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:
El Scorcho wrote:
Fumble got it.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:wow.

I will start another thread for discussion so we don't get out of hand here in the chapel:
http://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtop ... 214#109214

Hoping he lands back on his feet soon and discovers the rest of God's plan for his life.
Other link won't work... what happened?
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:
PAmedic wrote:I will start another thread for discussion so we don't get out of hand here in the chapel:
Other link won't work... what happened?
I just moved the thread over here so that short stuff didn't have to worry with two threads.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
grm wrote:
El Scorcho wrote: I was sad when he left the first time.
Fumble got it.
Thanks for all of that. Now, to be more specific, I wondered if, when I said that I was sad, and you responded that you were sad when he left, if you were making some "statement behind the statement." Were you saying that you share my sadness, or were you saying that he forfeited loyalty because he displayed disloyalty in leaving the first time? Or pehaps there are issues that I am not aware of... certainly there must be...

Any comments?

He seemed like a great guy - the times that I have spoken with him.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There has been some curiosity on campus from students that were use to seeing him on stage at every single convo to where Rob Jackson was....nobody ever mentioned him and people began to wonder the story on that.....

some people go as far as to say he didn't like the attention Dr. Caner was getting on wednesday nights.....which is funny...but probably not at all true

very odd though
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Appreciate the input. It seemed that his role was on the wane, but when I saw him in March, he seemed upbeat.
I neither heard nor saw any negativity, but now, (although I have not spoken with him personally) I'm sure he's going through a tough transition. Family, kids, etc. etc... Speaking from the latter end of the timeline, when you've been at a place for a long time, you kind of figure that you be there...

Well, you know what I'm talking about. If he were in the union, he'd have some job security.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
This was coming for awhile. He was pretty much leapfrogged by a number of people on the Campus Pastor totem poll. Best wishes to Dr. Jackson as I'm sure he will land on his feet.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Good guy. Am I the only one wondering if this affects his son's chances of winding up at LU? I am? Nevermind then.

Seriously though, I've sat near him at more than a few sporting events. He is so intense. Last year in the VMI BSCT game I really thought he was inches away from running on the court and strangling a ref. He's really a blast to sit near during a game.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:This was coming for awhile. ......
I think I understand change, but frankly, unless there were some serious problems, I don't understand how this kind of thing takes place, is allowed to take place, and so on. A guy is terminated: "Thanks for the years, God bless you, and with your abilities and character, I know that God will bless you. Now, clean out your office."
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:Thanks for all of that. Now, to be more specific, I wondered if, when I said that I was sad, and you responded that you were sad when he left, if you were making some "statement behind the statement." Were you saying that you share my sadness, or were you saying that he forfeited loyalty because he displayed disloyalty in leaving the first time? Or pehaps there are issues that I am not aware of... certainly there must be...
I just meant it to say that when he left the first time I was a student and he was more of a figure than he is now. Then he left. That was sad and then I got over it. Then he came back. Now he's leaving again. It's hard to be as broken up over it when you've already said goodbye once. That's all I meant.
grm wrote:I think I understand change, but frankly, unless there were some serious problems, I don't understand how this kind of thing takes place, is allowed to take place, and so on. A guy is terminated: "Thanks for the years, God bless you, and with your abilities and character, I know that God will bless you. Now, clean out your office."
Unless you're the person who made the decision, an HR employee or the person getting fired, it's probably not going to be completely understandable. That's kind of the nature of such things, when done appropriately and properly. I have no idea (honestly) why this would have happened (or if it even really has happened, for that matter) but I've been here for a while, and I've never seen it happen without legitimate reason. If you're very concerned or desperate to discuss it, I'd contact the Chancellor's office or the director of HR.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
Wimberly TX, wow....just right down the road from my summer home. Never even knew about it.

Well, good luck Rob.......LU is changing for the better
By grm
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:...If you're very concerned or desperate to discuss it, I'd contact the Chancellor's office or the director of HR.
I'm concerned, but also realize that there are people in charge of these things, and that I'm not one of those people. Just kind of expressing myself, and find it sad that what I see as a long-term-person being moved out.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:
El Scorcho wrote:...If you're very concerned or desperate to discuss it, I'd contact the Chancellor's office or the director of HR.
I'm concerned, but also realize that there are people in charge of these things, and that I'm not one of those people. Just kind of expressing myself, and find it sad that what I see as a long-term-person being moved out.
it was good to get rid of clauson, Dunton, both Jacksons, and a couple of others need to be moved out
By grm
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote: "it was good to get rid of clauson, Dunton, both Jacksons, and a couple of others need to be moved out
Well, Dickens, you've exprssed yourself quite openly and extensively on some, but what's wrong with Rob
Jackson?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
sigh, there you go again dickens. Trying to run the school. What the heck was wrong with Clausen? Sure he was somewhat of a charicature, but he provoked governmental discussion. There aren't too many classes at LU with the firey debating that went on in there. I was sad to hear that he had left.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
disregard my posts/disclaimers- I had posted that I wished him the best and was sure he'd land on his feet, and discover God's plan for his life soon.

my hope was that it wouldn't devolve into yet another Kool-aid/Hater war, but I have little doubt that's where this is headed.

again.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Hello PA,

I don't even know who Dickens is, just that he's got strong opinions about a lot of things, and that he doesn't seem to like me or people I either like or might like.

I don't know Rob well, but do know that he seems like a nice guy, and am making the point that I find it distressing that a long time Liberty guy is dumped, and I would like to know whether some mortal sin has been comitted or not. If so - then he had to go. If not - then it's a sad turn of events.

That's all. With all of the things we discuss here, I'm sometimes surprised at what we are discouraged from discussing.

God bless you - PA !!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
always good to hear from ya GRM

I happen to be the type of person that can take a decision like this as purely business, and separate it from the personal side (if thats what happened at all: this whole thread is truly speculation). Many people, though, cannot- and really take it hard if their organization moves in a different direction.

I know many people, all of them great individuals, let go simply b/c "it wasn't working out" or the company wanted to "go another way" and it was almost always no fault of their own- just a square peg/round hole situation. They all landed and hit the ground running and today are doing better than ever. I just try to view it as part of the overall plan for your life, and not wig out over it. You always have your family and your career should always be secondary to that.

JMHO

PS: yes, DICKENS is a wee opinionated- then again, everyone on here is- and to my knowlege- no one hates anyone else. It just the result of maintaining relative anonymity on the web that allows people to tee off more than they would. Unless you're ME, of course- this is really how I am. :D Everybody loves me.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Yes, PA - of course everybody loves you.

I love you as well. p.s. YOU'RE FIRED.

Love,

Jerry (That's Mitchell... In case anyone is taking this either too seriously or as an affront on LU leadership.)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wimberley is a terrific little town near Austin in the Texas Hill Country. We had a tight ends coach on Karcher's staff from that little town a few years ago.

As for this most recent departure, the timing is curious but whenever there is a change in leadership there often will be a different direction that not everyone feels comfortable following. I know nothing about this case, I'm just stating typical organizational shakeout.
NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the p[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely disma[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]