The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By grm
Registration Days Posts
Well, we've expressed ourselves...

Thanks, Sly
By Casper
Registration Days Posts
So does this mean I can park in his spot between vines and the science hall?

No seriously, I like Rob Jackson and I think he is a great guy. Good luck to him in the future.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:
jmdickens wrote: "it was good to get rid of clauson, Dunton, both Jacksons, and a couple of others need to be moved out
Well, Dickens, you've exprssed yourself quite openly and extensively on some, but what's wrong with Rob
Jackson?
I liked Clauson. He was a little nuts, though. He and Putney.

My thing with Rob Jackson was this, and RocketFan can back me up on this... I saw him at a basketball game during halftime, walking down the stairs to sit right behind Jerry Falwell, waving to the crowd. I looked around, and saw no one was waving to him. He sat down near Falwell for 15 minutes, didn't say a word to anyone, and then got back up, started waving to no one in particular, and left.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
I appreciate concrete answers rather than cliches. Thank you.

I honestly think that there develops a mentality that whenever one of us prisioners is executed,
the remaining of us take some pride in the fact that it wasn't us, and believe that there must be something that the other guy did to deserve it.

Also, I don't know very many people on this board, but I'm seeing a couple of different camps (Now why didn't I see that before?) and I wonder if many of the members, knowing one another, are quick to accept/ justify/excuse statements here that shouldn't be here.

Just wondering... and certainly not directed at you.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I used to have a picture of Rob Jackson from the VMI game. He randomly showed up, at VMI, in khakis and an untucked shirt and loafers sitting on the end of the bench. He would be in the huddle and everything. No one knows why.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
One Saturday back in the late 80's my roommate and I were getting ready to take two girls up to Harrisonburg for a LU/JMU football game. We were really looking forward to the ride up and back. About 5 minutes before we left we got a call from Rob who was calling rooms in the football dorm looking for someone to take him to the game because his car just broke down or something. I think we fit him in the middle of the back seat between me and my date. ':)'

He's a great guy. Wish him well.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote: whenever one of us prisioners is executed
I hear you, g. This is how I start any LU story at dinner parties.

"Tommy Williams came to Shawshank in 1965 on a two-year stretch for B&E. That's breaking & entering to you. Cops caught him sneaking TV sets out the back door of a JC Penney. Young punk. Mr. Rock and Roll. Cocky as hell. "
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
The one thing I remember most of Rob Jackson was this:

"Amen or O me"

It seemed like he would say that 10 times a sermon. I think he left when I was in school there (mid to late 90's). He was a nice guy, but I had the displeasure of working out at the same gym he attended. All I can say is that guy is a freakin' bear. Hairiest guy I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I saw too much of him that day!! :cry: He was a KILLER racquetball player. My roommate (who was an above average player) played at the same gym against him and got smashed. I thought he told me that Rob had won a few tournaments in and around Lynchburg.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:sigh, there you go again dickens. Trying to run the school. What the heck was wrong with Clausen? Sure he was somewhat of a charicature, but he provoked governmental discussion. There aren't too many classes at LU with the firey debating that went on in there. I was sad to hear that he had left.
I'm on Josh with this one. Clausen was one of a kind, and I enjoyed some of his debates, but with no attendance policy and two tests that were take home, doesn't really make you retain what you learn.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
I always thought Rob's preaching made no sense. He would be talking slowly like he had no idea what he was trying to say then all of a sudden he was start yelling about stuff... and a lot of long pauses between random sentences.
By FlameNForest
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:I always thought Rob's preaching made no sense. He would be talking slowly like he had no idea what he was trying to say then all of a sudden he was start yelling about stuff... and a lot of long pauses between random sentences.
RD was definitely a bad influence
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
FlameNForest wrote:
whmatthews wrote:I always thought Rob's preaching made no sense. He would be talking slowly like he had no idea what he was trying to say then all of a sudden he was start yelling about stuff... and a lot of long pauses between random sentences.
I knew dickens had at least one friend......you two are perfect for each other.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:
FlameNForest wrote:
I knew dickens had at least one friend......you two are perfect for each other.

thank you friends.....I just want to make LU a better place, and I want other schools to be jealous of every aspect of LU.....Its like gold mining, got to filter out the dirt to find the gold
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Was trying to stay out of this one. However, when I was a student, I don't think Mr. Jackson was very helpful in his role at the time in residence life. I had a physically abusive roommate my fresman year. Went to RJ. Abusive x football dude got 2 reps for beating the poo out of me. I got like 10 for saying 1 swear word. At least he moved me out of the room to another dorm. Oh wait that was 3 days later when I got beat again and my dad called. 1 month later they caught the dude with 2 sixpacks and some weed and he was finally gone. Took getting cut from the football team hard.

Thank you all for the therapy session. I feel much better now.

PS - the dude body slammed one of my roommates off the top bunk too.
Last edited by Knucklehead on September 17th, 2007, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
sounds like he took the football conditioning seriously.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Rob is a very very smart man, he'll land on his feet in no time...I remember JF telling me once about how many church's around the country want him in their admin....he'll be fine, I look for him to stay in the area...he loves this place so much.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:Was trying to stay out of this one. However, when I was a student, I don't think Mr. Jackson was very helpful in his role at the time in residence life. I had a physically abusive roommate my fresman year. Went to RJ. Abusive x football dude got 2 reps for beating the poo out of me. I got like 10 for saying 1 swear word. At least he moved me out of the room to another dorm. Oh wait that was 3 days later when I got beat again and my dad called. 1 month later they caught the dude with 2 sixpacks and some weed and he was finally gone. Took getting cut from the football team hard.

That's why I don't believe in gun control.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:Was trying to stay out of this one. However, when I was a student, I don't think Mr. Jackson was very helpful in his role at the time in residence life. I had a physically abusive roommate my fresman year. Went to RJ. Abusive x football dude got 2 reps for beating the poo out of me. I got like 10 for saying 1 swear word. At least he moved me out of the room to another dorm. Oh wait that was 3 days later when I got beat again and my dad called. 1 month later they caught the dude with 2 sixpacks and some weed and he was finally gone. Took getting cut from the football team hard.

You forgot to say uncle.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts

sounds like a fight I once got into with my roomate over an Oreo.

all I'm sayin' is don't eat the last cookie when I've clearly called "dibs" .

He was warned.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:

sounds like a fight I once got into with my roomate over an Oreo.

all I'm sayin' is don't eat the last cookie when I've clearly called "dibs" .

He was warned.

Obviously... the rule of "dibs" is a matter of life or death. If you violate the dibs rule--you suffer the consequences.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
I once bought dog biscuits that looked exactly like cookies and left them out. I enjoyed watching my roommates eat those before I lowered the boom and let them know.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Same roommate also smeared peanut butter (mine) on my Michael Jordan poster, which in 1987 should have been a felony! :lol:
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
I am amazed at the critical nature of some (dickens). RJ played a major role in the growth on spiritual life on campus through the years. He deserves better than this after 20-plus years. May his family be blessed with a great opportunity.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
In every crowd theres always a few :wink:

I'm sure the Jackson family will do fine...Rob is to smart to stay down long...I just hope they wont have to move...but either way they will be blessed.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
checkmate wrote:I am amazed at the critical nature of some (dickens). RJ played a major role in the growth on spiritual life on campus through the years. He deserves better than this after 20-plus years. May his family be blessed with a great opportunity.
You were just as critical (although somewhat sly about it) of current staff efforts in another thread, and yet now you're trying to call out someone else for the same thing? Not cool.

You're not off to a good start on FlameFans.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]