The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Any on on here with LU-TV when we began "broadcasting" to the DeMoss TVs in '89 or '90?
Any one who worked with me on the "Morgan Hout Show"? For those that don't know, this was a huge deal for the TV program back in the day. Morgan Hout was the football coach, and we (the students) produced a weekly coaches show. We shot and edited the game footage, shot the studio stuff with the help of some LBN folks and Mike Tilly, and then sent tapes out all over. It aired on old Family Net, Sunbelt, Home Team Sports (Now CSN) and countless affiliate stations all over. This was a huge launch of my TV career. Too bad the program is not doing these kind of things now.
We also did a weekly (every Sunday night) sportscenter style show live (can't remember the name).
Ah those were the days. I lived in that little room.
:oldhag
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I really don't understand why the students don't have anything to do with the Liberty Channel. It just makes too much sense. I mean it's not like it can get worse than it already is. And we can't do worse than Boom-goes-the-Dynomite Ball State.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I don't understand that either. :dontgetit

Are they afraid someone will accidentally play an episode of Pulpit Classics when The Over The Hill Gang is supposed to be on?
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
IMHO it makes the grads of the program way less attractive in the hiring market than we were. They seem to have turned focus 100% away from live tv to all non-linear editing. seems really narrow. I used to hire almost exclusively LU students and grads, now it's less than half. I have tried to teach a studio class at LU but alas I have no master's degree.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Like anyone in the business needs or utilizes a masters. :roll:
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Like anyone in the business needs or utilizes a masters. :roll:
Tried fighting city hall on that one and lost. I would think in our field 20= years of doing the job is worth more than a masters. But they would rather have the guy with the masters and no real world exposure. Makes no sense to me.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We should have a weekly highlight show that is student produced.

We should have a weekly "This Week At Liberty" (hey, Live at Liberty sounds like a good title...) show letting people know what's going on (a tv form of The Champion).

We should have a coach's show.

It wouldn't be that hard to do at all.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
Hey knucklehead, it wasn't for lack of trying. My dad prolly taught most of your broadcasting classes. he tried for YEARS to get the classes and equipment in there that they needed but a certain someone always kept him from doing it... [[Sly Edit]]!

and heres to the many nights i spent at LUTV... and those comfy couches that seemed to swallow you up into naptime...

oh and yes, i remember the morgan hout show... AND the central virginia news review - hows that for old school?
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Like anyone in the business needs or utilizes a masters. :roll:
Tried fighting city hall on that one and lost. I would think in our field 20= years of doing the job is worth more than a masters. But they would rather have the guy with the masters and no real world exposure. Makes no sense to me.
I think it's because of accreditation. They have to have a certain percentage of faculty with Masters or better level education or the accreditation is in danger.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
At the very minimum, you need at least 18 graduate hours to teach at the college level, but most places a master's is required, and a doctorate is preferred.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The sheer absurdity of someone needing a PhD to teach editing goes to the very nature of why those classes are being dropped at most major universities. It is also why school like the one I teach at have grown exponentially in recent years. You learn what is necessary to be equipped for that first job in order to augment a university degree made up primarily of theory.

Does LU have the ability to sponsor optional "workshops" where they can offer quality training from professionals and circumvent the restrictions associated with the accreditation oversight? That might help fill some gaps where technical expertise could be offered to students where academia is lacking any experience.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Sly, I preached the fact that 19 years in the biz has equipped me better that a guy with a masters and nothing else to no avail.
I understand accreditation, but would also love to see the quality of TV students improve for obvious reasons.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
Shot, my dad HAD a Ph.D. and the dept. head who had a minor in that area 20 years ago kept shooting him down. Unfortunately it seems that even a Ph.D. isnt enough. The mass coms area has lost something like 6 or 8 professors over the past 3 years. Several of which had been there for more than 10 years. Shot three of which had a combined experience of 50+ years at LU.

Fortunately they have two excellent people working in the video department right now doing a good job teaching kids about the business and process and working with what they've got, although I know they'd like to do more.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]