The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
I seem to recall a story about Jerry Jr letting loose some live chickens in the cafeteria in the early 80s...I'm not making this up. Anyone else hear of this?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Never head of that story, but there was an article in the paper after Jerry's death about chickens. Evidently another televangelist was praying for some farmer's chicken to be healed, and Jerry responded with a comment something like, "In Virginia, we don't pray for chickens; we eat them--fried!" :tailgate
By BrysOn_G
Registration Days Posts
this is a true story. my mother has told me the story a million times! she was in the dining hall when it happened.

also, when i waited on jerry jr. at logans, i confronted him about this! he and his wife were quick to laugh and confirm the story was in fact true.

quote, "and we would have never been caught had someone not ratted us out. we had pantyhose (or maybe it was socks or something) over our heads."

his punishment was something funny too.... i'll have to ask mom about it.
By The Dude
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Never head of that story, but there was an article in the paper after Jerry's death about chickens. Evidently another televangelist was praying for some farmer's chicken to be healed, and Jerry responded with a comment something like, "In Virginia, we don't pray for chickens; we eat them--fried!" :tailgate
That wasn't a farmer, it's was Jan Crouch of TBN. Jerry was at an event and she mentioned prayer for healing of her chicken. JF got up and said, "Us Baptists don't pray for chickens, we eat them." Jan didn't talk to him for years.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
my parents have both told me the chicken story too. they were here during that time
By preacherchris
Registration Days Posts
i was also in their when the chicken came flying in. it landed on a student with the last name of disney.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
The Dude wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Never head of that story, but there was an article in the paper after Jerry's death about chickens. Evidently another televangelist was praying for some farmer's chicken to be healed, and Jerry responded with a comment something like, "In Virginia, we don't pray for chickens; we eat them--fried!" :tailgate
That wasn't a farmer, it's was Jan Crouch of TBN. Jerry was at an event and she mentioned prayer for healing of her chicken. JF got up and said, "Us Baptists don't pray for chickens, we eat them." Jan didn't talk to him for years.

Man I miss him

Who else would say that
By Rockthejungle
Registration Days Posts
Yep the story is so true ...if memory serves me correctly the guy that the chicken landed on had surgery not to long before it happened ...the chicken pecked him on the head ...
By wlogged
Registration Days
I was there for the chicken event. Jerry Jr. had kitchen duty at SAGA for quite a while. Dishwashing, etc. It was pretty funny! :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the confirmation and welcome to the board.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That would be a great story for him to tell in Convo sometime, because I'm sure the students could relate to it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
But I am sure he shudders at the mayhem the story could inspire. :lol:
By wlogged
Registration Days
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm sure JJ would love to put that story behind himself someday. Of course, there are also Jonathan stories. He, Tony Hutson, and myself travelled to TN together a few times. It amazes me the path those two were travelling then and where they are now. The Lord works in mysterious ways!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JJ was before my time but I did go to school with Jonathan and I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
Yea, I have heard that OTGH couldn't get any air time on TBN just because of that incident. Jan held a grudge about that until Jerry died. She has since relented and let Jonathan have air time. Apparently she likes him. By the way, I remember saying back in the day that I hoped Jerry would live forever because I though Jonathan would destroy the ministry based on the path he seemed to be headed. I need to ask for a lot of forgiveness for those thoughts many year ago. Jonathan seems to be the Lord's man and is doing an admirable job. The Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways.............
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]