The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I think the reason alot of alumni will not come back to visit is because LU has strayed from it fundamentals roots. Don't expect a lot of old timers to come back, just my thoughts
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:I think the reason alot of alumni will not come back to visit is because LU has strayed from it fundamentals roots. Don't expect a lot of old timers to come back, just my thoughts
And we know of course, that ALL of the old-timers at Hyles-Anderson go back as often as possible! :wink:

I think most of us have somewhat mixed feelings about the changes at LU, but (at least in my case) realize that most of them were inevitable and necessary. Since I live in Lynchburg, it's hard for me to know if or how often I would come back if I were more than a few hours drive away.
By backintheday
Registration Days Posts
Well, I'm one oldtimer that welcomes the changes. Since I didn't come from a fundamentalist background, I had the joy of being "witnessed to" by some of the more fundamental guys during my years at Liberty Baptist College. I was a Christian but didn't live up to their "biblical" standards. Fortunately, I found many good friends and had a great experience there despite some of the attitudes. My daughter has just completed her sophomore year and is enjoying it tremendously. I wish Liberty had been more like it is now when I attended.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, 62strat. Glad you stumbled upon our corner of the net.

I'm not sure I buy the "straying" as a primary reason our alumni isn't back on campus more. I Think the primary reason is that since its inception the majority of our students have come from (and subsequently returned to) other parts of the nation. I know that remains the case for me. That makes us an unusual school compared to most colleges that draw primarily from a region of the nation.

I also believe that many of us have relaxed our opinions on certain separation issues over the years. Doctrinally I haven't changed much at all. But thankfully my sometimes legalist background is in the rearview mirror.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
what he said ^^^^^^

I live 6 hrs away but get down there when I can

tough when its not a state school with a geographically centrally-located alumni base
By backintheday
Registration Days Posts
I'm in the same area as Medic and I think that as the alumni base grows in the middle-Atlantic and as the sports program (read: football) improves, you will see a lot more alumni coming back. There's nothing like a D1 (or BCS level or whatever its called now) to bring the alumni back to the campus. I'm in Penn State country and the PSU alums that I know don't go back just to visit the area and see the school. They go back for football games and visit the school as a side light. People will come from long distances for big time football games. A university needs a rallying point where lots of people can be involved. You don't come back to see the debate team (sorry to the debaters out there) or the theatrical events. And a six hour drive to see the football team play St. Paul's is not high on my list. A six hour drive to see Liberty play a competitive game against Virginia Tech, I'll do that in a heartbeat.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
YES
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:I think the reason alot of alumni will not come back to visit is because LU has strayed from it fundamentals roots. Don't expect a lot of old timers to come back, just my thoughts
Not me. I stayed away because of the Moral Majority connection. It's like this...there's a line from a Derek Webb song (from Mockingbird - King & a Kingdon) that says:
there are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

See that last line? THAT'S how I felt for a good 10 years. I made some great friends while I was there (some I haven't seen or heard from in years), but hearing all of the changes that have taken place since my time there sure has me wishing that LU was like it was back then the way it is now. Male sense?
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
62Strat wrote:Hey Bbro,

I only found this board looking through things trying to find out about Laurie Bartram Mccauley's death, but to get to the point give me a holler old timer you and I were once roomies!!! remember the trip to va beach to see Daniel Amos and Randy Stonehill? :) and for those looking in on this post (my first here) I was a hotel guy, a yearbook guy, an innercity Detroit guy, prayer leader guy, first coffe house guy, Wlbu guy (briefly), found a wife at liberty guy, (the former Lisa Philpott)and a pastoral guy as well. Looking forward to catching up with any and all !
I sure do. If I remember correctly...you and Darrell Olling slept in my folks camper trailer that weekend. Those were good times. I've seen Don Doebler about 4-5 times since...most recently being a Lost Dogs show here in Richmond back in April.
By viejo blanco
Registration Days
Jeff! Billy! Where is Doebler, our 4th Musketeer?
This is Darrell! Another ex-LU student "googled" my name, which Jeff mentioned here.
I was back at the campus around 1996, and then most recently, this past summer.
I barely recognized either Liberty or Lynchburg, however.
So many BIG changes, I have no desire now to ever go back.

Billy, it sounds like you still have a sore spot that the environment there was too constrictive
during the early 80s. I too, heard from subsequent students only a couple of years later that
things had relaxed quite a bit (they were even listening to Stryper!).

Have you visited the campus radio station page? Not a half bad playlist these days.
As for myself, I've gone back to my roots this year, starting a mobile DJ business
(parties, weddings, etc., anywhere people have a plug and want some music).
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
viejo blanco wrote:Jeff! Billy! Where is Doebler, our 4th Musketeer?
This is Darrell! Another ex-LU student "googled" my name, which Jeff mentioned here.
I was back at the campus around 1996, and then most recently, this past summer.
I barely recognized either Liberty or Lynchburg, however.

Billy, it sounds like you still have a sore spot that the environment there was too constrictive
during the early 80s. I too, heard from subsequent students only a couple of years later that
things had relaxed quite a bit (they were even listening to Stryper!).

Have you visited the campus radio station page? Not a half bad playlist these days.
As for myself, I've gone back to my roots this year, starting a mobile DJ business
(parties, weddings, etc., anywhere people have a plug and want some music).
Don is in Lynchburg working at J Crew (should be close to 15-20 years now). We hooked back up at a Lost Dogs show in Richmond back in April. I'll PM you with his email address.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, Old White Dude. Google has brought many of us together. :wink:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
viejo blanco wrote:I barely recognized either Liberty or Lynchburg, however.
:dontgetit

you liked it better back in the day?

I had the opposite reaction- couldn't wait to leave in '89/90 and quite impressed with it now.

(Welcome aboard, BTW)
By beachpreach
Registration Days
I went to LBC from '73 to '77, then returned in '81 to seminary and finished up there in '83. Two of my kids went to LU in the past 6 years, so I've been back a few times.

I wish it was then what it is now in a lot of ways. Yet, I wouldn't trade much (except the stupid rules) for living in a slum and having no campus. It's a much improved school all the way around.

I'm surprised about this, but this fall at least 7 students from the church I pastor are going there. And that includes one ECU grad going to law school.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
Jeff, Billy, Darrell, and Don. That does bring back memories. How are you doing Darrell? I see Don on rare occaisions. I actualy see his son Daniel a lot more than I see Don!

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]