The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I'd have to say that I had 2 of them. One was a great hang out that had great chili...the Texas Inn (called the T room). I also enjoyed going to a nightclub called Crukshanks. It was in a strip mall that was owned by OTGH / TRBC. I was working the phones at OTGH my senior year (83-83). Crukshanks was on the other side. We always knew when there was a live band playing as you could feel it through the walls. We called Crukshanks Jerry's personal bar. I just enjoyed going there for the live music. I did go to TC Trotters a few times...a bit more upscale. I really enjoyed having a nice cold beer those days.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Texas Inn is still there and hasn't changed much, except they now also sell T-Room hats & T-shirts. Anybody know the current price of a western?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah the Texas T Room remains an institution ... they haven't bothered to upgrade the motif any since the '80s.

Wow, bringing Crukshanks and TC Trotters to the table. You are most certainly old school. My guess is you went to Johnny Bulls at the Hilton for the balloon drop a time or two as well.

In general the dining options back in the '80s were forgettable. But I loved buffets at Pizza Inn on Fort Avenue. We used to gouge ourselves for hours until the "You go now!" screams started coming from the managers. 8)
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
so i asked my dad, he's never heard of the texas inn.he has haerd of crkshanks, but he said he couldn't afford it when he went there. evidently he was quite poor and only ate on campus
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JDUB, when your dad was here, some students who were short on cash & transportation used to WALK all the way to the Waffle House (sometimes after curfew) for a cheap meal there. Ask your dad if he ever did that.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
JDUB wrote:so i asked my dad, he's never heard of the texas inn.he has haerd of crkshanks, but he said he couldn't afford it when he went there. evidently he was quite poor and only ate on campus

he was probably sitting next to me in the "deli" then. (SLY/SCAR/SMOOTHIE- remember the deli?)

I existed on Root Beer and Coke floats for an entire semester (we were a Coca Cola campus for a while- those were the days)
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
Sals pizza on Fort Ave had a solid buffet. Of course you had Ground Round and their wing night. Can not beat a cheesy & a bowl. I have even seen Dr. Falwell in the T Room. When my parents came to town, it was Texas Steakhouse.
By backintheday
Registration Days Posts
Sal's had great Sicilian pizza, too. Made for a fine, cheap dinner with some left for breakfast!
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
I enjoyed Myrt's until a few days ago when they upped the prices.
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
Myrt's used to have the footlong chili dog special for like 3 bucks...couldn't beat it.
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
you know Myrts used to be called the Weiner King??
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
sorry medic, but my dads alot older than you. he graduated in 83
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
There was a hot dog place out on Timberlake we used to go there on Saturdays during football seaon, it might have been between Waterlick & 460.
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
JDUB wrote:so i asked my dad, he's never heard of the texas inn.he has haerd of crkshanks, but he said he couldn't afford it when he went there. evidently he was quite poor and only ate on campus

he was probably sitting next to me in the "deli" then. (SLY/SCAR/SMOOTHIE- remember the deli?)

I existed on Root Beer and Coke floats for an entire semester (we were a Coca Cola campus for a while- those were the days)
I remember watching the Giants/49ers NFC championship game around 1990 or so in the deli.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
bucksweepjax wrote:There was a hot dog place out on Timberlake we used to go there on Saturdays during football seaon, it might have been between Waterlick & 460.
That's the Weenie Stand. It's still around, and there is now a Weenie Stand #2 on Allegheny, just off Memorial Ave.
By bucksweepjax
Registration Days Posts
There was a Mexican place on Timberlake, La Caretta I think that was pretty good too
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
bucksweepjax wrote:There was a Mexican place on Timberlake, La Caretta I think that was pretty good too
Still there, now w/ branches in Madison Heights (decent) and on Lakeside Dr (if you value your kidneys, you will stay away!).
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
coming soon to Wards road as well. The best Mexican in town. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise because I've tried the rest of them.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It better have improved sine I went to the original back in the late '80s. It was sort of a 2nd rate Chi Chis (and the latter is not a complement).
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Chi Chis
*shudder*
By Tracey
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:

I remember the deli!! We used to watch the Price is Right in there all the time. I thought of that back when Barker retired. What a fun place!

My favorite was Billy Joe's (when it was in its first spot). That place was great. I always got peppermint icecream with hot fudge, and everyone laughed at me. Before I graduated, I went over there, and they had added it to their menu! Real or imagined, I took credit for that little change. :lol:

I LOVED the T Room!! I took my Dad there once and he could not believe it actually lived up to or down to (depending on who you are talking to) all my stories. I have visited there since I graduated and it IS just the same.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the deli!! ahh the old days!!! and yes sal's at fort ave shopping center had a great buffet!
Last edited by bigsmooth on July 25th, 2007, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
I miss the ground round and the Landmark!
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
Ahhh.. The Weenie Stand, T-Room, Ground Round. Classics, for sure. The Ground Round would let you eat popcorn until you popped. And I got into a nasty brawl there one time, too.

I still wonder how I made it for four years at LU without getting a semester or two off. :D
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Ground Round...
...Now THAT was a great place to go...at the least the one in Roanoke for us hicks in Franklin County.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]