The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
I never had Sal's Pizza buffet, we would go to Chuckie Cheeses for their pizza buffet on fridays and then play video games all afternoon.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Ground Round -- now THAT brings back some memories. Loved the popcorn.

My in-laws are regulars at La Caretta over on Timberlake (?). They walk in and their drinks are there before they even order.

And I remember the deli -- that's where I ate every day after band practice.
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
Don't even know if Sal's is still around. I know they moved locations at one point in the mid-90's. I do know, though, that when Coach Sam and his crew hit town, Sals' business picked up big time. :D
By fan00
Registration Days Posts
When I was a kid we used to eat on campus as a family after our piano lessons...(only when I was little did I think that eating in the college cafeteria was something to be excited about!) Anyway, we would eat in the executive dining room at Saga and use the little kitchen area to walk back and forth to the deli. I had completely forgotten about that place until you all brought it up!
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
Texas Inn rocked! All you can eat spaghetti! Also, Mother's kitchen served up some good grub back in the day. You can't discount Hardee's for sweet tea!
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
The Rot.
By DeathCab4LU
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote:The Rot.
:rofl
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Of course the T house was around which was always great for a late-night snack. If you robbed a bank you could go to Crown Sterling. There was a restaurant called Fass Bros. Fish House that had all you could eat shrimp, went there several times with some of the other football players for that, I don't expect they made any/much money on us, we could eat.
The Rot would be like Ruth Chris to the "food" we had to eat on the Island, family style no less.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You youngn's dont remember Warrens Restaurant....you could catch Doc there even before he was a Christian! That was the spot for a LONG time
By thelaxman
Registration Days Posts
Hardees after Late Skate in the early AM. Those Biscuts were great!! We are talking 1983 or 84. Now you guys know how old I am.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What was the name of the place about where Advance Auto is now on Fort Ave? It was a little dive that served french fries with GRAVY on top in the '80s. Kimbells?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I go back a long way (enjoyed Yellow Sub subs while watching the Dowling coached Flames!), but Warren's escapes me as does Fass Bros.; refresh me, please! I thought Kroger sat where Advance and IHOP are now, and Sambo's was across the street.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Yellow Submarine is still on Old Forest Road; someone once told me that Harbor Inn on Old Forest used to be called the Fish House.
By chefmom7
Registration Days
Texas Inn? My miind draws a blank for that place. Where in the world was that?
I was on campus, 86 -89. I ran around with a poor bunch...and I was the only one with a car (my little blue 4 cyl Mustang that barely made it up the mountains).

We used to pool our money together and drive to Little Caesar's and split a 99-cent order of Crazy Bread. The Yogurt store opened up close to campus and we used to frequent that quite a bit. Also...the Hardee's, Kroger's and Pizza Hut were also favorite stops. If we went anywhere else, it has escaped my memory. But, hey...that's what happens when you become an old hag. :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Texas Inn is downtown on the corner of 5th and Rivermont/Main: white building with a light blue roof and looks like a gas station. The inside is nothing but stools and stainless steel. Their specilities are cheesy westerns, hot dogs, and chilli beans.
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 30th, 2008, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe it was called the Texas Tea Room when we were school, chefmom7.

And I used to live off those big 99 cent bags of Crazy Bread back in the day when I couldn't afford anything else.
By chefmom7
Registration Days
Guess the poor folk never made it to downtown. I don't remember this place, sorry. Occasionally, I would make it down to Food Lion and places down that way...but I don't remember going that way very much, although I did spend some time in Lynchburg General (I think that was the name). I student taught at LCA....didn't they have a campus that was not at TRBC? The first part of my student teaching was in this building and the second part was at TRBC.

Crazy bread...mmm...gotta love it!

Did anyone ever go trick-or-treating at Jerry's house? We tried, but the guard did not have a sense of humor.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
chefmom- I had forgotten about the Little Caesar's bread and the TCBY, and Hardee's was one of the places to be at 9:00 at night! I was at LU 85-86 and had graduated from LCA, so we probably had some mutual acquaintances!
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
Ground Round was the first place i ate in Lynchburg...stopped there before I even got on the campus to visit. I was with some LU football players who took scraps from other tables to eat before the waitress had cleaned up. A strange bunch. There used to be a place over by "Courtside Athletic Club". I can't remember it's name, but it was pretty interesting. Decorated in a lot of strange items. They even had a weird animal mascot who came to football games. What was the name of that place? I do remember it was one of the "Desagher" owned business' in the area and LU would sponsor trips there to eat after events.
Last edited by Champion on August 3rd, 2008, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I can't remember the name of that place either. It is where some buddies & i watched the Bears Super Bowl championship.
By Jim DuBois
Registration Days
Best places to eat: Ground Round, Landmark and the Peaks of Otter lodge
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?!

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: