The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Hey Folks! We here at the big 13 are trying to find out some of the history of the spirit rock. I'm so old my memory is shot, so please help.
Specifically:
How it started?
When?
Who's idea?
Etc

Thanks!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
not sure, but part of it's history involves a hole being dug behind it andit being tipped over into the hole in '01 or maybe '02. One of the more funny pranks I've ever seen on campus. After they got it back into place it was then cemented into the ground and it still stands today.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Actually, the Rock came in during my freshman year in '93. As Guillermin told us in convo at the time, LU was trying to start some traditions and this was going to be a part of that. I believe his exact words to the students were, "It's your rock now, so have at it." It seemed pretty strange to me at the time to truck in a multi-ton boulder in the name of school spirit, but I guess time and multiple layers of spray paint has borne out what the admin was trying to do.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What happened to the original spirit rock we had back in the '80s? Even back then it had to have zillion layers of paint on it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My favorite spirt rock story is coming out of the Vines Center after a basketball game at night and seeing that someone had set the rock on FIRE! (well, we are the Liberty FLAMES). I thought it was a pretty creative idea that someone had come up with...until I heard the sirens from LUPD.
:flamethrower :medic
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
They got the idea from Cedarville after a group of students were there for a conference or such...they saw their rock and brought the idea to LU
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Thanks guys. Libertine, do you expect me to believe your memory is that good. I mean a direct quote from your brain from '93?
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Well, I don't think I'm exactly an attributable source but, yes, my memory for quotes is that good. Shall I bring up any 'feta cheese' references or Luwan Lewis anecdotes to prove my point?
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Na, I believe you! And no it would be hard to attribute something to someone named Libertine!
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:Na, I believe you! And no it would be hard to attribute something to someone named Libertine!
Finally! Someone who knows what the word means! :lol:
NCAA Realignment Megathread

It certainly feels ridiculous to see some of these[…]

Volleyball Coach

Former player and assistant coach Rebecca Ru[…]

LSU

We lose 9-4. With score 8-4 in Top of 6th we left […]

Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, […]