The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ronni
Registration Days Posts
Ok, I just "joined" this site today, and had no idea we were old hags once we graduated. But after reading many of the posts, I am having a hard time finding anyone here who attended LU (LBC) when I did! I was a student from '77-'82. Anyone else out here from my era? I lived on Treasure Island, at the Hotel, and on the Mountain. I was also a King's Player. Are they still around??
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
nah, 4everfsu was here '72-'75
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Yes the Kings Players are still around.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw should be. he was on the 1st football team.
By Ronni
Registration Days Posts
Well! I'm feeling younger all the time!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We actually have had a number of '70s vintage LBCers on here over the course of the past year. Welcome to the board and we hope you stick around. As you bump around this "Old Folks Home" forum I think you'll find some interesting discussions. And please feel free to remind us more about the formative days of the university.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ronni, I am a contemporary of yours, but I was attending your arch rival in sports in those days, Tennessee Temple ('79-83), but I have since seen the light and am on the faculty here at LU.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Yep I attended LBC 72 to 75, lived on Treasure Island for the 72 year. After that the trailer park next to the burg airport.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
All this talk about the island...and trailer parks...makes me wonder how the college even survived the early years. Had to be the hand of God.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's why so many of us Old Hags rarely doubt the "crazy talk" from Dr. J. We've witnessed firsthand how his vision has continued to be realized.
By timhoughton
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That's why so many of us Old Hags rarely doubt the "crazy talk" from Dr. J. We've witnessed firsthand how his vision has continued to be realized.
very true

...however, I'm still waiting for the football game in which we play Notre Dame
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
the trailer park next to the burg airport.
Foreverfsu, was that considered "on-campus" or "off-campus" housing in those days?
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
The trailer park was off campus at that time, I was married, private trailer park. The park is still there, drove thru it after 2005 homecoming game on my way back home.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone remember the spring where you could get cool fresh water off 29 heading south out of town, it was on the right hand side of the road a couple of miles away from the airport?
I didnt see it in 2005.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I wish coach Manley (1st hoops coach in school history) would register and share some stories. He and I had a great conversation a couple of weeks ago and his stories are amazing to say the least. He can tell you from 1st hand experience that you can get big time players at Liberty and that was before we were division 1. Ed Gomes and his brother had choices, George Sweet had scholarhip offers to Kentucky and Tennessee but the big fella was seeking a school like ours and approached coach Manley. He told me a hysterical story about having Gomes and Sweet miss a road game only to find out that they were with Dr. Falwell. I won't share that one just yet in hopes that coach will come on here and share that one and many others with us. He would add great value to an already outstanding message board in my opinion.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
My first year at LBC I was the bb manager for Coach Manley. As a matter of fact my sister and I went to his church the Sunday after 2005 homecoming game to see him, have not see him since my LBC days but he was out of town.
If I am not mistaken after Coach Manley left LBC he was head coach at Delta State.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu, I don't recall a spring on 29 South, but there was also one on 460 west on the right side of the road, just before you came to a rock quarry. Basically there was a pipe coming out of a rock face, with fresh spring water pouring out. When I was going to Tech the summer of '89, I used to see cars stop on the side of 460 and fill up several gallon jugs of that water.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, Coach Manley could share some experiences I am sure. I was travling with the team in 72-73 as an assistant something, (I basically did what no one else wanted to do laundry, etc.). I remember a trip to Covenant College in Chatannoga where we were outright robbed on a game (no whiing here, it was so blantant, I think they had Covenant students dressed as zebras to call the game). We left that game and went to T Temple to play in their Thanksgiving Tourney. Stayed at a no-tell motel, ate at the Temple cafateria and 80% of the team came down with food poisining, probably from bad turkey.

I was so poor that on that trip I dove in the motel pool with all my clothes on and swam to the other end to pick up the $20 prize the players came up with, thinking I wouldn't do it because it was 32 degrees outside.

Rode on a bus almost everywhere of course, but back then, most of the games the cheerleaders (that is why I was with the team really) rode with us. Of course you could never get to the bathroom on the bus because the "girls" wore out the floor going in and out making sure their makeup was still looking good, (or checking for holes in the knees of their skirts ). :D
We did fly to Chatanooga on Jerry's Convair, for above trip, it was cool. We thought we were big stuff flying to a game as a second year school to play a well established old Christian college back in those days.

Didn't stick out our chests as much when we stayed in private homes in Hagerstown Maryland for a ball game. Church pews as beds were used more than once in the good old days. Back then we had lots of fun though and like someone said earlier, we all believed great things were just around the corner because of Jerry's leadership. You just never knew what that guy was going to do next, kinda like he is still today.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim, yep that was the spring, that pipe, I just had the wrong highway, you are correct. What ever happened to it?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The pipe may no longer be there. Big Smooth lives in Roanoke and comes to Lynchburg often--maybe he knows what we are talking about and can give us an update.

I used to drink spring water out of that pipe, and I trust many others have, too.
By Ronni
Registration Days Posts
I don't remember a pipe...but I do remember walking downtown from the Hotel to the James River and sitting on the bank. Those spring days were wonderful! Anyone else here live at the Hotel? Those were the best days at LBC for me.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Rednecks. :nono

Municipal or bottled water for me, thanks.

you do know what gets into wells, springs and streams, don't you?
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:you do know what gets into wells, springs and streams, don't you?
Nothing that reverse osmosis filtering system can't handle.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Rednecks. :nono

Municipal or bottled water for me, thanks.

you do know what gets into wells, springs and streams, don't you?
A well is my only option out in Farmville...I also don't drink municipal water if I can help it. My 1st choice is bottled, the Aquafina brand.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
hahahhahahaha, Aquafina is bottled city water from Queens. Oh mercy.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]