The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
ok, everybody sit down.

now take a deep breath- I have bad news.

Jimmie is dead. Thats right, he's has passed away.

Actor Jack Wild Dies at 53
The Associated Press

LONDON -- Jack Wild, who earned an Oscar nomination as a teenager for his role as the Artful Dodger in the 1968 film "Oliver!" has died from cancer, his agent said Thursday. He was 53.

Wild died Wednesday, agent Alex Jay said. The actor was diagnosed with mouth cancer in 2000, and surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy had left him unable to speak.

Born in Royton, northwest England, in 1952, Wild was spotted by a talent agent while playing soccer in a London park and later attended stage school.

He appeared in the London stage production of "Oliver!" Lionel Bart's adaptation of Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist." Wild was cast in the film as cheeky pickpocket the Artful Dodger, a role that earned the 16-year-old an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor.

Wild also was known to a generation of children as the hero of "H.R. Pufnstuf," a psychedelic TV series about a boy stranded on a fantastical island with a talking flute, a friendly dragon and eerie, chatty trees. A feature film, "Pufnstuf," was released in 1970.

He became a teen music idol, releasing three albums — "The Jack Wild Album," "Everything's Coming up Roses" and "Beautiful World."

But Wild struggled with alcoholism and his adult acting career was fitful, although he had a role in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" in 1991.

The actor blamed his cancer on years of heavy drinking and smoking. "My lifestyle had made me a walking time bomb," he said last year.

Wild is survived by his wife, Claire Harding.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
for those of you under 30 who think I've really lost it, here's what I'm referring to:

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/pufn.htm

ImageImage
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Sid and Marty Croft's sigmund and the Sea Monsters! Wow does that bring back memories. Do you remember the Banana Splits Medic? How about the old Jackson 5 cartoon? I remember the Old Harlem Globetrotters cartoon and the same people's voices were used on the Hong Kong Fooey cartoons. Good ol Scat man Cruthers was the voice of Hong kong Fooey. I even remember the theme song but I won't sing it...Fun times.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We're all talking to in Greek to most on this board.

I remember HR Puffenstuff & the Banana Splits also being the mascots at Kings Island in Cincinnati when I was a kid (the theme park taht the Brady Bunch went to back int he day).
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
That is why we are posting in the Old Hags room. I know there are more than just you me and Medic that remember this stuff. These I would imagine RedDog and some others will be over here to contribute to this before long.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
You guys really are old hags. I have no clue what you are talking about.
Last edited by jcmanson on March 3rd, 2006, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
what was it in your day JC, Teletubbies? Are you too young to remember the Smurfs and Cabbage patch dolls? I guess you guys were not even born when the Cabbage patch dolls were popular in the mid 80's. Actually Jon you must be about 22 right? You may remember a little bit then. I know what you guys had. Saved by the Bell. I used to watch that too sometimes with my nephews and nieces. You guys missed out on HR Puff N Stuff. It was kind of corny but it would stick out in your mind like Shazzam, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids and Land of the Lost (I know I lost you on that one).
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Haha! I remember the Teletubbies. I never really watched them though. I used to watch the little blue men (smurfs) all the time, but then I couldn't find them on anymore. My sister had a few Cabbage patch dolls when we were young, and now that they are coming back my fiance is crazy about them! I am 22, and yes it was saved by the bell. I always remember having to be up by 10 on saturdays to watch saved by the bell. Kelly was so hot! We had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles also. I always wanted to be like Michaelangelo
By cheerbren
Registration Days Posts
I remember PufnStuff they gave me nightmares. I went to Kings Island a couple of times just like the Bradys and Sly Fox. Although I have an original Cabbage Patch I do remember some stuff that is older than me.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
it is sad to see ole' puff die. that was some good stuff back in the day. and land of the lost...very cool show!
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
My favorite was Underdog. He was my hero.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I was partial to Sweet Polly Purebred, myself :)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Underdog had the best theme song....I also liked the Spiderman themesong. I may have to find some old cartoons and tivo them off the cartoon network.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The old cartoons are on Boomerang. But they don't have any of the old school live action kids shows.

Land of the Lost was remade about ten years ago and crashed & burned. The original with its cheesy specvial effects was mega cool. "Uncle Jack came searching ... and all he was to find ... was the greatest earthquake ever known."
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I remember the Brady Bunch episode and when they went to Kings Island...well, I saw it on TVLand. And I also know what the Banana Splits are as well. Land of the Lost, Smurfs, Cabbage Patch dolls...yep, know what those are too. But as far as what started this whole thread...I'm lost.

FYI: I'm 20 (and I feel REALLY old typing that too, lol...once I turn 21, thats it till retirment time).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
gotta agree w/ CHEER that some of these guys were creepy. One of the other good shows (other than the original Superfriends- which obviously have no equal) was Rockey and Bullwinkle.

Other fav's: Dudley Do-Right/Snidely Whiplash, Jabberjaw, Hong-Kong Fooey, and Josie and the Pussycats.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I liked the Superfriends too. "Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice" is what the voice over guy would say. But what was with the Wonder Twins? I hated them. The boy could turn into any form of water and he would always go for Ice or a bucket of water. What kind of hero is that? The girl always turned into a bear or an eagle. Weak! How about Wally Gator and Huckleberry hound and Augie Doggie! I could go on...
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
Hey Hey Hey ... It's Fat Albert ... and I have a song to sing for you ... Let's go play some buck-buck ... Does anyone remember that? ...
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
a cartoon about some black kids that grew up in North Philly? Come on RedDog you know I remember :). I remember a few of the songs like Dope is for Dopes, and another one about Soap. I loved that show. I used to do in impression in the locker room and on the bus. D-Train and Steph loved those impressions. I used to do Rodney Dangerfield too but my most famous impression was of coach Meyer. I had him down pat.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
It's time for the Green Hornet ...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
RedDog wrote:Hey Hey Hey ... It's Fat Albert ... and I have a song to sing for you ... Let's go play some buck-buck ... Does anyone remember that? ...
we actually PLAYED buck-buck in school. On a hardwood floor. Now THERE was a game- run (at FULL speed) into a group of guys huddled together, try to jump onto them and break thru the pack. Anything goes- so there were usually quite a few blows to the face, head or unprotected soft abdominal or groin areas.

I'm really not sure what the point was or how far off OUR rules were- but thats how we played it.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
a little known fact....the actor that played Fat Albert in the latest movie is from Lynchburg, and he makes a few visits a year along with public appearances...I believe he also attended E.C. Glass High School
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Keenan Thompson is from Lynchburg? I never new that. He is on Saturday Night Live too. He used to have a show called Keenan and Kel with a guy named Kel Mitchell on Nickolodeon. Don't ask me how I know that since I have no kids but I just watch a lot of TV.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
RedDog wrote:Hey Hey Hey ... It's Fat Albert ... and I have a song to sing for you ... Let's go play some buck-buck ... Does anyone remember that? ...
we actually PLAYED buck-buck in school. On a hardwood floor. Now THERE was a game- run (at FULL speed) into a group of guys huddled together, try to jump onto them and break thru the pack. Anything goes- so there were usually quite a few blows to the face, head or unprotected soft abdominal or groin areas.

I'm really not sure what the point was or how far off OUR rules were- but thats how we played it.
holy crap, I didn't know that came from anywhere. We used to play this after the 1st hall meeting every year. It was always feshman vs everybody else. We evenually started lining the hallway with matresses.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Keenan Thompson is from Lynchburg? I never new that. He is on Saturday Night Live too. He used to have a show called Keenan and Kel with a guy named Kel Mitchell on Nickolodeon. Don't ask me how I know that since I have no kids but I just watch a lot of TV.
Yeh, he attends "a day in the park" at Miller Park almost every year...I think he even has something named after him downtown maybe something to do with the Jamboree (sp?)....I dont know but I do know he's been quite involved with the inner city movement
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now.

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point[…]

Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]