The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By backintheday
Registration Days Posts
I spent quite a bit of cash at Blue Goose Records but that's about the only store that I remember. There are still some stores in that area but the shopping center is gone, I believe. Some of the current Lynchburg residents on the board could help out on that.

Ronni, I lived at the hotel during the '77-78 school year. I spent time downtown but I can't recall the eating places. The one thing that I remember was that Pete's News Stand was absolutely off limits and it was actually written into the Liberty Way!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Swensens was a pretty popular place for first dates back when I was in school.

Otherwise the Plaza was overrated even back then IMHO.
By Ronni
Registration Days Posts
swensen's!! yes! amazing the memories i have that come flooding back. i feel positively ancient. and i have you all to thank for it. yeah buddy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The Plaza is still there, but it is mostly vacant and serves mainly as the hub of the bus system because of it's central location. The "anchor store" is now the Dollar Tree! :)
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:The Plaza is still there, but it is mostly vacant and serves mainly as the hub of the bus system...
Is that what it's the main hub of? I thought it was the main hub of all things old and busted.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
hah! I remember swensons from when i was little... like 6 or 7...

and yes, the fort theater was the STUFF!

they used to have the circus there too. oh, and if you went out back past the flea market, this guy made a KILLER lake. this thing had a TON of 10-12lb bass in it. i made many a forbidden trip through the woods behind it to get there... (yeah i was a neighborhood kid... whatcha gonna do, right?)
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The theatre was built in front of the old drive-in as a replacement.

Back in its heydey, the only competition for the Fort was the one at the mall and the overpriced one at the Plaza. Otherwise most everyone drove to Roanoke. I used to head down to Altavista when the RAs were still writing down license plates in the Fort parking lots.
You parked in the parking lot? We used to walk a little to get there. I believe there was a church up the hill we used.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: I used to head down to Altavista when the RAs were still writing down license plates in the Fort parking lots.
That's why I paid the extra price and took all my dates to the Plaza. Went to see Phantom of the Opera there my senior year and saw half the marching band there!
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
scuzdriver wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The theatre was built in front of the old drive-in as a replacement.

Back in its heydey, the only competition for the Fort was the one at the mall and the overpriced one at the Plaza. Otherwise most everyone drove to Roanoke. I used to head down to Altavista when the RAs were still writing down license plates in the Fort parking lots.
You parked in the parking lot? We used to walk a little to get there. I believe there was a church up the hill we used.
Probably Beulah Baptist Church. Still there on Leesville Rd. Right through the back of the parking lot and into the Fort parking lot.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
What goes around comes around ... this past spring the entire plaza got donated to Liberty. They announced plans to sell it, but seem to have backed out of that plan. Plans for the old theater ..... a rumor is circulating that they might turn it into some sort of performing arts center. I'm betting it will be a warehouse! And another little tidbit....the circus that used to set up at the Fort Theater has taken place the past two years on the campus of LU out by the Lahaye Center as a benefit for LCA. My how times have changed!
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]